Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy has been great in every place other then the night crating. Sometimes when he goes in hes quiet but that's about 2 nights of the last month. On saturday night we made the mistake of coming downstairs and sleeping with him since he was choking and heaving ( think hes allergic to peanut butter ). Tonight when we put him in he cried and whined ALL night, this is the second night with 2 - 4 hours of sleep. ITS FRUSTRATING.

I am going to pick up ear plugs today... but if you have any suggestions how maybe we can work to one day not cry. I have posted before and some have stated that hes afraid to be alone (needs to be around me and my gf), but we interact the dog with other dogs, with people, train him to sit lie down leave it paw and so on all in a month. We take him out two or three times a day - example yesterday he probably had 1:30 - 2 hours of walking time.

I have seen the peggysawyer videos and was wondering if people had had time or success with it. Or anything else that I am doing wrong. Thank You.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's a phase, hang in there. :p

Ear plugs are a GREAT idea, as is a radio or TV left on- no, it's not going to comfort him, but it's going to cover the noise of the obnoxious whining. :p

Nextly, how much is he sleeping during the day? And when is he getting his exercise? If he's crated for an entire work day, he's probably sleeping that ENTIRE time- no wonder he's awake at night to whine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is his routine during the day?
Wakes up at 6
gets taken out
food
little 15 - 30 min walk before 8
gf and i go to work
gf comes home around noon - lets him out to pee and play for 30 min
she comes home later or i get home at 5 (gf works wierd hours sometimes 8 - 2 sometimes 11 - 7 but she comes home and spends some time)
dinner
some play
sleep
walk (30 - 45 min) between 8 - 10
sleep
pee at 11:30
crate
whining sometimes all night and everynight if he hasnt whined at 3 am it starts all the time

thats about the routine

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here are some things that worked for us:

1. Having several good chew toys in the crate... especially Kongs stuffed with kibble and a couple of liver treats... keeps them busy and happy until they fall asleep

2. Putting in an article of my clothing so they can cuddle against something that reminds them of me... that one worked crazily well... one time they were crying and howling inconsolably, and the only thing I did was put in the pair of pajamas I had been wearing... they cuddled with it and fell asleep!

3. Having the crate in the bedroom with us (this is a biggie IMO... puppies are much calmer when they're within sight/smelling distance of the people they own!)

4. Making sure he gets in a very vigorous play session at night before bed... lots of running, chasing, etc. (For us this is easy because we have two puppies and they "play hard, sleep hard"... will take a little more involvement on your part with just one pup, but a good ball-throwing session at night should help)

We haven't needed this but there's always the ol' ticking clock thing, or putting a white noise machine on the "heartbeat" setting.

This will sound crazy, but this morning I wanted the babies to sleep for a bit more after their 5am potty break and play session, but they kept crying and jumping up and down for me (for at least 15 minutes, which seemed like hours). So, I went to them and calmly explained that Mommy was going to sleep for a bit more and they needed to rest quietly and play with their toys. Then I handed them each a chew toy. Crazily enough, they calmed down and played quietly!! Maybe it was the chew toys... maybe my puppies are geniuses... who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts