Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post on this site and I am posting becuase i am in dire need of some help. I have a 5 month old siberian husky named sasha and i love her to death but I am having a very difficult time trying to train her to be obedient.
I started with some simple commands like "down" and "sit" and she understands what I am saying and will obey but 5 seconds later she will jump up on me and I will have to issue the command again and again. I read somewhere online that knee'ing your dog in the chest a couple of times when they jump on you will teach them that doing so is bad and they shouldnt do it anymore. I tried it and I end up with the same results. I tried giving her treats and she obeys for the time being but the next day she goes back to jumping on people. Any tips on how I can et her to stop this?

My next question is digging..I tried putting poop in the hole and that works but she always starts a new hole somewhere else in the yard, it is really annoying and I find myself spending more time filling up holes than actually playing with her and spending quality time together. Which leads me to my next issue. She constantly bites and nips at my hands when i try to pet her or scratch her and it's just not fun for me to try and play with her becuase of the biting. It seems to me like she is just playing with me but I dont want her to bite someone else who is just trying to pet her. Any ideas on what i can do?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I am getting very frustrated with her and I'm tired of trying and trying to get her to obey only to have her go back to disobeying the next day.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
...I'm tired of trying and trying to get her to obey only to have her go back to disobeying the next day.
That's what training a 5 month old pup is all about. Teaching is one thing; training is another thing. Smart pups learn the meaning of your commands PDQ. They do not, however, have much of an attention span. So you tell the dog to "sit" and she sits (good dog), but 5 seconds later, it's as if the whole thing never happened. They also have better things to do than to sit there and look at you until you tell them something else. And why would she stay for more than 5 seconds? You haven't yet taught her that that is the requirement.

Training is a progression. You teach a dog what you want from them. Then, as the dog's maturity, focus, and compliance improves, you increase the duration of obedience. Lastly, you generalize the trained behaviors in a variety of locations and with a variety of distractions. The Imperial City was not built in one rotation of the celestial body.

Digging is a genetically inherited trait. If the parents were canines, there is a strong likelihood the offspring will have a powerful need to dig holes. Don't leave the pup alone with dirt.

Biting and jumping are perfectly normal puppy behaviors. Kneeing a pup in the chest can actually cause injury, so I don't recommend it. Before you employ harsher measures, try withholding all attention (especially eye contact) from the pup whenever she is displaying bad manners. By scolding her and pushing her down, you are giving her what she wants. You have to teach her there is a better way to get your attention.

Puppies have a lot of shpilkes to get out of their system. Every. Single. Day. Lots of exercise and training will make it all better. In 3 to 6 months.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
These behaviours are ALL totally normal puppy behaviours. In fact, you will probably find it gets worse before it gets better.
I recommend you find a good positive reinforcement puppy class, read the "Puppy Whisperer" by Paul Owens or "Before and After Getting Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar. What you need right now is a lot of information and a lot of patience. Training ANY behaviour to proofing under distance, duration and distraction and generalizing it takes HUNDREDS of repetitions. Hundreds. Really.
She's a baby, her brain is still developing and you really need to understand how puppies learn.
Take a deep breath.
Check the stickies for information.
Be patient...believe me, all the work, training and frustration are worth it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Dogs don't learn things overnight... it takes weeks, sometimes months of consistent repetition to teach them to be well-behaved. Just because she doesn't jump one day doesn't mean she'll remember the next day. You need to be a lot more patient and consistent.

EVERY time she jumps, you turn away and withdraw attention; leave the room for a short while if you have to. Bear in mind I said EVERY time she jumps. Don't let her get away with it sometimes and then withhold attention at another time.

These links will help with the play-biting:
http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

Can you give us detailed steps on how you are teaching her things like "down" and "sit"?

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you enroll in a positive reinforcement puppy class. There is a lot more to learn about raising a puppy than what we have told you and these aren't the worst months of owning a dog.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
For the jumping up, if turning away and abandoning her does not work (some dogs find getting you to whip around is a fun game of "spin the Owner") try leaning into her space and doing a little cha cha into her space. Most dogs don't like this.

As said, you need to do it EVERY time.. consistancy in training is the key. Follow thru is the key. Every time is the key.

A beginner obedience class would be a good investment. I would also suggest a book: "the Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" by Pamela Dennison. Check out this site: www.clickertraining.com and the stickies at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kali is 3 months and because of her age- loves to jump up! We have been doing what everybody else recommends. I give her NO attention when she does it, other than the ocassional shake of my leg if she has wrapped her paws around me. And it is slightly improving- just gotta be patient :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok since everyone else gave such gread advice on the other problems I"ll put up a tip for the digging.
You won't get rid of it, I have a husky lab mix, and she digs like a Sibe ><. Buy her a kiddie sandbox, give her a place to dig, then if you see her digging elsewhere go. "No." in a semi firm voice and take her to her box, and show her she can dig there, make if fun, burry a toy or two in it. You aren't getting rid of it, so might as well just make sure she doesn't dig up your grass.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, that reminds me of Rascal a few months ago. I have a husky too, well two huskies now (just got her yesterday.) I had Rascal in obedience class that really did wonders. It taught me more than it did him I believe. Here are some suggestions they gave me for problems similar to yours.

Take an empty coke can and put some coins in it. Tape it up really well so that you are sure nothing is going to come out. When your dog is not listening to you or is distracted by something else. toss the can down on the ground (no, not at the dog..LOL) The sound will distract them.

I've heard of the kneeing thing too, but I just can't do it. I always move them off of me and say "off." When you have other people come over, you can sit in a chair with the dog in "down" holding his lead down with your foot if he won't stay in a down himself.

For the puppy biting, they recommended "yelping" in a really high pitch and tapping them under the chin. It doesn't really hurt them, it just stuns them a little and the yelping is supposed to imitate their mama. I did this and it worked really well. The "yelping" thing still works for me when I want to get his attention.

I also agree with the previous post about the sand box/digging. My daughter just happened to be outgrowing her sand box when we got Rascal. He likes to sit in it and I am always finding stuff he buried in there. Don't get me wrong though, he still digs in the yard too. It isn't quite as bad as it was though.

Huskies are a lot of fun. Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts