Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:redface:Hey all,
I know this is supposed to be for welcoming new members and such, however, it won't let me post in the other forum sites and I'm in desperate need of help!

My fiance and I have a malamute husky mix. We got him from the Maryland SPCA 8 months ago. But before I tell you my story, I have to say, this dog is a good kind hearted dog, he is really sweet he just never learned how to behave well. His name is Oaky. He is an 8 year old malamute husky mix and we want to save him from being put down in a shelter or wasting away in one.

When we got him things started off really well. Then, a couple months in and began to territorial and had food aggression issues when we would try to take a treat away from him.

This resulted in my fiance getting bit and it is on public record he has bit. He has also snapped at me and a friend of ours due to the taking of treats (we have long since stopped this attempt) and after such issues we even hired a dog trainer. Even with the training it seems this old dog has learned some new tricks but is still your run of the sled dog when it comes to walks.

This morning, after a swipe from our cat last night who felt Oaky was getting to close, he went after her this morning as a warning she was to close. They have never fought before and this is our final straw.

We want him to go to a good home where someone has the time and patience to rehabilitate this dog. We don't want to have to put him down in a shelter or have him rot in one. If you guys can help a poor couple and an 8 year old malamute husky mix in need of strong guidance PLEASE email me at [email protected]. We are at our wits end and really need help!

Thanks so much,
Oaky Lover

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Firstly, you need to better supervise interaction between the dog and the cat. Most huskies and malamutes have strong prey drives and need quite a bit of training to be safe around cats. Some just can't be trusted around them unsupervised, period.
Look up the Look At That game. It helped teach my husky not to bother my cats.
And don't let your cat attack your dog. Its not even more okay for the cat to swipe the dog than it is the dog to snap at the cat.

Look at Resource Guarding and take steps to work with that. Start by not bothering him when he's eating or chewing on something. Teach him to trade up.

Look up a front clipping harness or silky leash training.

Put a little more effort into it before you rehome him. At 8, having bitten someone and not being okay with a cat, he's likely not coming out of a shelter

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If he has no home with you, he doesn't have a home.

I wouldn't place a malamute/husky in a home with a cat, but there you are, so I agree with the LAT training. You should also create a sanctuary for the cat by putting floating shelves in a "ladder" up a wall (make sure they're anchored to studs) or installing a cat door to an interior door (big enough for the cat, too big for the dog).

As to the RGing, why were you trying to take treats from the dog? If you don't want the dog to have a treat, don't give it to him. You created this problem, you solve it. Here's a great article on the subject.

Front clip harnesses are great for pulling dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts