Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, please don't yell at me for having a static correction fence... I know that there is a community out there that like them and an equal community that doesn't.... I just need help and opinions....

We recently purchased and installed the Pet-Safe Stubborn Dog (for the multiple settings) In-Ground Fence and today we completed day 2 of training. We installed almost 2000 feet (approx 3 to 4 acres) I had a few questions and am hoping that if you have done this with your pet, you can help me.

According to the training guide, yesterday (day 1) I was to bring my dog up to the flags, and when the warning tone went off, pull him back in briskly and give tons of praise. By the third training session of day 1 my dog kinda realized what I wanted him to do, but soon thought it was a game to go up to the flag, turn and run back into the "safe area".

Now today, we finished day 2. He received a static correction this morning (on the lowest level) and clearly yelped and ran back into the safe area... I thought to myself... why look at that! I think he may be starting to get the idea!! He of course wouldn't go up to that flag again, and each time I rewarded with treats and praise. We walk around the yard a little more, and approached a different flag... does he resist? NO. Static correction... and then he resists. (Ok he's gotta start getting the idea now) Nope. We walk him around the boundary and if he "accidentally" wanders and sniffs his way into the warning tone, he will redirect back in, but bring him to a flag and he walks right through. :(

Then on our last session for today, we took him outside and he spotted a bunny... off he went pulling my husband right out of his flip flops and through the fence... static correction again. BUT even after the correction, he came back to the safe zone to my husband instead of continuing through the fence.

Is this all normal? I know training is consistency and patience, and I am definitely willing to be both, but I am worried that he is too preoccupied by the fun and exploring and smells to be really catching on to what is happening. Am I worrying too early? Is this exactly what I should expect of my dog? (The repeated corrections?)

Any help would be so wonderful...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is this exactly what I should expect of my dog? (The repeated corrections?)
Yes, I think so. That's exactly what I would expect. All training requires repetition and proofing. With the electro-shock technique, that means lots of punishment, and probably ever stronger punishment for stronger attractions. If there's a bitch in heat on the other side, I would expect him to take the abuse and run right through the so-called fence, even if it's set to agony. But I would not expect him to be willing to take the punishment to get back in.

Another thing I would expect is a change for the worse in the dog's temperament.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, I think so. That's exactly what I would expect from an shock-punishment system. If there's a bitch in heat or some other strong attraction on the other side, he will take the abuse and run right through the so-called fence, even if it's set to agony. But I would not expect him to be willing to take the punishment to get back in.>>>>>

I believe he asked to not hear the criticism.

The training is a process. It will be diff for all dogs. the level may need to go up but I would give him more time w training first. Remember this is really just a training aid. Most dogs WILL respect the border at some time even W a "strong attraction" but some will not.

In the initial training try your best to make sure there are no heavy distractions like a bunny. try your best to set your dog up to succeed. Realize also that what your dog feels (electric stim) will vary depending on distractions and the dogs drive. you may want to put a long line on him so you have some control before letting him off leash.

It is good to see you have a good amt of property for a E-fence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts