Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 dogs. A 2-year-old, 13lb Pekingese, a 60lb English bulldog who is also 2, and a 27lb, 10-week-old Great Dane. I am looking into getting them all the best dog food money can buy. I hate buying their foods from wal mart. I wouldnt eat crap for supper, so I dont want them to either. What are some of your suggestions for the above breed? This is what I have for bulldogs
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/our-top-5-recommended-dog-food-choices-203/

My breeder had my GD on an adult food when I got her. So i assume to keep her on there. My Pekingese is only interested in soft food, so thats what I feed her.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
705 Posts
For the Peke I would try to get her to chew on something rougher than soft food once in awhile. Giving her a raw bone (chicken neck, chicken thigh, etc.) or bully stick. Soft food is fine but there is some speculation that harder foods that dogs chew on help to keep the teeth clean whereas soft food doesn't. Just a thought to look into maybe. If you can afford it Honest Kitchen is a soft food (kind of comes out like a souppish/oatmeal consistency) that my dog absolutely loves when I can get it. It's very healthy too. You can get free samples (they might cost $1-$2 now though, I don't remember) either by emailing them or by going into a store that carries it.

The foods they listed are good. I like using www.dogfoodadvisor.com. Try getting something in the 4-5 star range. (Click on "dry dog foods" on the left hand side)

Keep in mind the Dane and his nutrient needs as he is growing. A large breed puppy growing too fast can equal trouble later.

Tips and tricks: Tractor supply stores usually have these better foods for a little cheaper and Petco is a tad better in foods than Petsmart (in my opinion and from what I buy).

EDIT: Wanted to add, some of the more popular foods that seem to be fed around here are Taste of the Wild (there are like 3-4 varieties to rotate through too), Solid Gold, Orijen, Nature's Variety, and Wellness

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dog food advisor is a great resource and I too, stay in the 4-5 star range.

4-5 star range doesn't always equal high price either.

Some of the 4-5 star range foods for decent price are:

4 Health
Diamond Naturals
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul
Taste of the Wild
Fromm
Blue Buffalo
Wellness
Orijen (I find this is the most expensive in my area--and Acana is very similar, but a little less in price)
Acana

I have tried/use several of these and more that I haven't listed.

Just to maybe give you a starting point. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have 3 dogs. A 2-year-old, 13lb Pekingese, a 60lb English bulldog who is also 2, and a 27lb, 10-week-old Great Dane. I am looking into getting them all the best dog food money can buy. I hate buying their foods from wal mart. I wouldnt eat crap for supper, so I dont want them to either. What are some of your suggestions for the above breed? This is what I have for bulldogs
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/our-top-5-recommended-dog-food-choices-203/

My breeder had my GD on an adult food when I got her. So i assume to keep her on there. My Pekingese is only interested in soft food, so thats what I feed her.

Any suggestions?
Are raw or dehydrated raw an option? Or at least giving raw meaty bones several times a week with a high quality food brand like Taste of the Wild (TOTW) or Orijen?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
For the Peke I would try to get her to chew on something rougher than soft food once in awhile. Giving her a raw bone (chicken neck, chicken thigh, etc.) or bully stick. Soft food is fine but there is some speculation that harder foods that dogs chew on help to keep the teeth clean whereas soft food doesn't. Just a thought to look into maybe. If you can afford it Honest Kitchen is a soft food (kind of comes out like a souppish/oatmeal consistency) that my dog absolutely loves when I can get it. It's very healthy too. You can get free samples (they might cost $1-$2 now though, I don't remember) either by emailing them or by going into a store that carries it.
I would hesitate giving a small breed dog who's had her food chopped up and served in a dish her whole life a chicken neck. Wrong size and shape for a dog who probably has never learned how to chew her food, but the thigh would probably be perfect. I had my oldest dog on kibble for years, and it did absolutely nothing for his teeth. THK is great; a lot of dogs really take to it. I've gotten free samples; the company is wonderful to work with :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would hesitate giving a small breed dog who's had her food chopped up and served in a dish her whole life a chicken neck. Wrong size and shape for a dog who probably has never learned how to chew her food, but the thigh would probably be perfect.
Thank you for helping to clarify. I haven't owned a very small breed dog before but was under the impression they can basically eat anything a bigger dog can, just less of it. You bring up a good point.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Thank you for helping to clarify. I haven't owned a very small breed dog before but was under the impression they can basically eat anything a bigger dog can, just less of it. You bring up a good point.
No problem :) I have a chronic gulper, so choking is something I've dealt with before. I've heard/read that for big dogs, turkey necks are a choking hazard and for small dogs chicken necks. I grind his (my dogs) food, bones and all and offer RMB's as well for chewing (not ingesting).
If the OP isn't wanting to do PMR or invest in a grinder, I would say THK would be a great alternative. The company is fantastic. I've emailed them with gobs of questions and have always received a quick and courteous response. I keep Embark on hand in case I would run out of raw ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts