Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm looking into immune support vitamins for my 1 year and 4 months old dog, Ripley.

Ripley was abandoned as a newborn and bottle fed by a local rescue. She may have been a runt, but no one saw the mother or littermates, so it's just a guess. She's probably some sort of mastiff mix, but she only weighs 58lbs, so the runt theory comes up a lot. She's been mostly healthy, but she has pollen allergies. I'm currently feeding her Fromm dog food.

Recently, she's had some skin infections, and the vet thinks her immune system might be weakened. We think it might have to do with her rough start to life, and possibly being a runt. The vet suggested we put her on some vitamins for immune support.

I started looking at vitamins and wow, there are a lot of options. I can't even figure out if I want to get an all-in-one immune system vitamin, or several different vitamins.

So, dog forum people, any idea which vitamin (or vitamins) I should get?

Edit: Just wanted to add - I did ask my vet about this, and he wants me to buy the very expensive vitamins he sells in his office, but I'm not sure if they're really the best option. I trust him on most things, but he is running a business.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bovine Colostrum works wonders for most dogs. EmergenC for dogs is great too. I've heard of people using wild blueberries for allergies too. I believe raw honey and bee pollen too. The idea is that you want to strengthen the immune system to overcome the allergy so you have the idea.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Probiotics can boost immune function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Dogs (Great Danes) have been on mineral supplments for about 2 years now and we are very happy with the results. Info is here

Hope this helps:wave:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
B-Vitamins, Fish oil, Crystalized vitamin C (1/4tsp), Probiotics (minimum of 1 billion live units) all have immune boosting properties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts