Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog Sam's been diagnosed with IMHA and has been on medication the past couple of weeks. one of the meds is Prednisone which makes him thirsty which in turn makes him pee a lot from all the water he drinks. when i can't take him out at night, is there anything we can do to contain the inevitable spray downs? i just want my boy to get back to his old self but with a newborn, Sam's medication, vet visits, and the usual work grind, having to find and mop up the messes is one thing i'd like to do less of. thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
my dog Sam's been diagnosed with IMHA and has been on medication the past couple of weeks. one of the meds is Prednisone which makes him thirsty which in turn makes him pee a lot from all the water he drinks. when i can't take him out at night, is there anything we can do to contain the inevitable spray downs? i just want my boy to get back to his old self but with a newborn, Sam's medication, vet visits, and the usual work grind, having to find and mop up the messes is one thing i'd like to do less of. thanks in advance for the advice.
I work for a vet and we've had to suggest people use dog diapers on their dogs overnight when on prednisone. We actually had an older lady who just could not get up to let the dog out throughout the night. She used diapers and did okay with that.

You might give it a try for overnights...

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Diapers or for a male I'd try a belly band. Just google "dog belly band" and you'll probably find several sites that sell them. I'd line the belly band with a human sanitary napkin or other incontinence pad so you don't have to wash the belly band so often (you probably want to order a few).

good luck to you and your pup!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ug. things are going downhill with the Pred. it's to the point where Sam has to be taken outside every hour or less or he'll just go on the spot. when he does make it outside, he pees in short bursts, walks around, then pees again. he does this several times. is this normal for this medication???? i knew he'd drink a lot and pee a lot, but this is nuts.

in addition, he's gaining the weight like they said he would, but he just looks like death. like he's aged ten years in one week. all this while his PCV is supposedly going up. seems like the higher his red cell count, the worse he gets. normal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts