Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if im freaking out or if this is no big deal, so i'm hoping someone can help me out...

dexter is abt. 6mos old, and had some discharge from his eyes last week. we brought him to the vet on sat., who said it was either allergies or a mild infection (his lids werent swollen, he wasnt showing any symptoms of lethargy, coughing, etc. we went home with an antibiotic eye ointment, which has completely cleared up the problem.

But now, dexter has stopped eating! he's always been a finicky eater, sometimes only eating half a meal, sometimes less, but mostly he just scarfed down his food (he gets blue buffalo puppy food). since sunday, he hasnt been eating much at all though. he skipped breakfast, and had to basically be hand-fed and coerced to eat his dinner. he is still drinking, peeing, and even pooping, and showing no signs of being sick- cough, vomit, diarrhea, fever, lethargy, etc.

i guess im just wondering if its normal for puppies to go through stages like this, or if i should take him back to the vet....

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He could be in a growth plateau. It is summer, is it hot where you are?

I do make at least one completely unnecessary vet visit a year. Sort of nice paying $50 and sent home with nothing to worry about versus the yearly physical that costs at least $300 for labs and all of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply!
yeah its getting warmer in NJ- in the 80s- does the heat affect their eating habits?
this is my first time owning a dog so i'm not too sure what to expect with him... the vet didnt find anything wrong with him after a pretty thorough exam saturday when i brought him in for the eye thing, so im just trying to find out if its worthwhile to take him back again so soon- i have a follow-up visit next tuesday at the vets, so do you think this is something that should be okay til then or should i bring him in asap?

thanks!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'd say just keep an eye on him for now. If he's still drinking, that's great, he won't get dehydrated. Corona would skip some meals here and there, but she was fine.

Some days I don't feel like eating either, and skip a meal or two, I figure my pups are the same. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think he's getting worse... im going to call the vet as soon as they open and try to get him in today, i hope its nothing serious!
dexter ate a little over 1C. food yesterday, split btw 2 meals. I took him to the dog park in the evening to get his energy out- he pooped once before going and once while at the park. he drank water and peed like normal.
at about 5am, dex woke me up, barking to go out- which is not normally like him. we stayed out for abt 10mins, he peed and thats it.... until 20min later when he pooped all over his crate- this time it was diarrhea, no blood.
does anyone know what this might be caused by?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts