Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I am new to basset ownership. My puppy won't come home until the 27th, BUT i am worried about his eyes. He looks cross-eyed. The breeder doesn't appear worried about it and says they'll straighten as his vision strengthens....but I'm not convinced. None of her previous litters didn't have this issues, her pups are gorgeous. Someone more versed in the breed please tell me I'm overthinking this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination or very knowledgeable in Bassets. But generally speaking.....there are 16 more days. A lot happens in puppy growth in a few days.

I would counsel to wait until the 27th. If the eyes are "normal" like the other pups, then complete the adoption. If not, then walk away.

In the meantime, you could speak with a Vet about the situation to get a true opinion about Basset vision.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Try not to worry too much. My AKK also looked cross-eyed for a short while before he was old enough to come home with me, and his eyes are 100% fine. I agree that you should just wait it out. If the pup still looks cross-eyed when it's almost time to take him home, then you can reconsider, but it'll likely be okay.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Talk to your vet , See if there is a vet clinic in your area or your state that specializes in eyes , may be the place that breeders go to get their eye certifications for AKC, call them about your concerns. The other is your state Vet college. Could help to ease your concerns

1 - 4 of 4 Posts