Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I started this Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) sculpture a few months ago and it has just been sitting on my computer desk about half done for a long time collecting dust. I desided to pick it back up today and at the rate I'm going I might even compleate it today.

It is just over 12 inches long
and just over 6 inches tall

It is in a full gait pose. I am currently adding all the hair, and then I will work on the fine details.

If anyone would like some work in progress photos just ask, and if you know anyone who would be interested in buying it once it's compleat let me know. it will be put up for bid on E-bay if I can't find anyone before then.

(I think I may have also decided to finish it because I really need the money right now. I am hoping to get at least $100 for it)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What do you mean IF we want to see pictures? Get them posted girl. :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok pictures comming soon

OK Here are Work in progress pictures

as you all can see his/her butt is compleatly naked still lol I have to add the fring to the rear area and I also have to add fring to the ears and the backs of the front legs. Then after all that I have to go and get some intricate detail work done.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What is it made out of?
Super Sculpy modeling clay (available at most art and hobby stores)
It is a very nice clay to work with because it never dries out untill you cook it in a normal baking oven at 350F for 20 minutes
after that you can paint it.

My sculptures also have a skeleton of wire and aluminum foil ( you can kinda see the aluminum foil peeking thru on the back leg in one of the pictures

Wait, are u the one that does the furry miniatures?
I don't know what to say. I DO make miniature sculptures of furry animals, however I have never marketed my sculptures as "Furry miniatures"

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Very Cool! Takes a lot of patience, I am sure. I guess part of the reason I have stuck with Rotties is there is still a very substantial dog under their hair. Seeing a half naked Borzoi reminds me of that. lol

Do you have any that you have completed? You have so much talent. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I might be tempted, god Borzoi are my fave! Have any complete sighthounds you can show me?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do you have any that you have completed? You have so much talent. Thanks for sharing. :)
well I tend to get better with every one I do but here are a couple older ones

This sheltie was made for a sheltie specialty show and was auctioned off in a silent auction. Belinda Freemen brought the little guy there so I don't know who won him.

and This is one of my best I've ever made

It is my only non dog sculpture I have ever made and I sold him on E-bay for $120

I might be tempted, god Borzoi are my fave! Have any complete sighthounds you can show me?
I have made some but they are over a year old and they are not what I would call good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are really cool! Do you take orders? I would love to get one made of my pug Billy.

Sure, I could probably get a sculpture of a little pug pretty much anywhere, but why would I want a sculpture of someone else's pug!?

Do you work off of photos or how do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are really cool! Do you take orders? I would love to get one made of my pug Billy.

Thanks in advance.
Well I have a horrable track record for taking commissions. I tend to do things when I feel inspired and not necessarily on a schedule. This way of doing things has made some of my commissions over a year to complete.

so I usually just sell the sculptures that I do for my own amusement.

If I ever get the urge to make a pug though I'll let you know.

Do you work off of photos or how do you do it?
I have been studying the different breeds of dogs for a long time so a usually just start with an image in my head, and I put together the basic anatomy. near the end I will pull up some references on google to help me with the smaller breed things like muscle tone and coat.
for example the borzoi has a slight roman nose type muzzle with very pronounced cheek bone and in order to accurately portray these features I would look at a photograph of the head, even though I know the basic head shape and anatomy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Totally understandable. That would be great if you get that urge to do a pug! I would love it :)

Very cool work.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More Work in progress pictures. I have fixed the weird fur on the stomach since these were taken.

so what do you all think? I will still be adding more fur detail.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
All I have to say is Animation Domination!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it's coming along nicely. most borzoi have a slight wave to their coat texture. not as extreme as say a wheaten, but more like a light body wave.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All I have to say is Animation Domination!!!
ROFL! Yep watchin' Family guy while working on the computer and doing my sculpture.

I think it's coming along nicely. most borzoi have a slight wave to their coat texture. not as extreme as say a wheaten, but more like a light body wave.
ya I know but I just have no idea how I would go about sculpting that :(

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK More pictures comming soon

Alright here are the new pictures. I have added a bit more bulk to the neck and also did some detail work in the face which you probably can't see, and I did the fur detail

Any suggestions or should I cook it now? What color should I paint it when it is cooked?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I love it! I did a doberman in super sculpy and then it died in the oven. I was really sad, lol.

I want to try it again though, it was fun!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love it! I did a doberman in super sculpy and then it died in the oven. I was really sad, lol.

I want to try it again though, it was fun!
I made a whippet a while back and I knew when making it that it's rear end wasn't quite stable. Well when I baked the whippet it came out with it's rear end sunk down, it looks now like it terribly stacked back too far lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts