Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All!
I need help deciding on a dog. I have been trying to use different sites that ask you questions but they are all missing something in terms of questions.
The dog I’m looking for is: 70lbs or less, strong, robust, can handle rough terrain, can tolerate cold and hot weather (no extremes) , can do agility, moderate to easily trained, can track ground scents, Frisbee and or fetch is something I wish to do, capable of swimming, moderate to high endurance, moderate to high energy, getting two dogs so would be able to pull 125lbs (my weight) for urban mushing, friendly but wary to new people, friendly to known people, gets along with other dogs, good connection to best friend (Me )
What I don’t care about is: breed, grooming, pure or mix breed, coloration, looks, height (but still less than 70lbs), webbed feet or not, hair or fur,
What I am unsure about is: will protect and attack on command only, price (but who can really put a price on a best friend)
I know that knowing the owner helps with the dog selection, so here is a little bit about me. I’m known as the family trainer and NEVER hit to correct. I have helped my family foster and get adopted over 7 pairs of mistreated puppies and trained all of them the basics no problem along with socializing them to all walks of life. I believe that the dog is never solely to blame. Owners need to train and created a basis for their pooch and if they don’t, problems will arise. Big angry dogs don’t scare me and tiny crazy dogs don’t bother me. I’m very active and young so draining a dog of its energy will be something I look forward to. Dogs I’ve owned either sleep in my bed with me or on the floor, it’s always been up to them of which they prefer (even though that tends to be frowned against). I have allergies but when I’ve had the same dog for a while I just get used to allergies and end up not being bothered in the long run. I’ve always been the “dominant” dog.
I know this a lot and very loaded but any thoughts are well appreciated! If you need to know anything more about what I’m looking for or about me to help out just ask!
~John

UPDATE 02/26/2012**********************************
I after the posts so far it seems people are going with mixed breed which I'm completely fine with. What breed mixes should I look for then? I definitely know I want to do urban mushing because of the trails near me and when I can, I camp alot as well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Research Belgian malinois. Wonderful, smart, can really do any sport, protection, loves their handler, and I don't know that you can find a higher drive dog. I occasionally have pups that aren't as intense, and for first time malinois owners I definitely recommend that lol.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I think you should look into weimaraners, even thought they are short coated dogs, my dogs do perfectly fine in cold weather. I think they may actually be perfect for you. I don't recommend them to just anybody.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
You've described a lot of traits common in herding and hunting breeds. If you're open to mixed breeds and don't care about looks, why not check out a shelter (or a lot of shelters in your area) and see who's up for adoption?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Totally going with the classic answer here, but a GSD would probably meet most of your needs and isn't difficult to come across. My husky mix (and I mean considerably mixed) would meet most of your criteria, as would probably a decent bit of the northern breeds, though if you were to go that route I'd look for a mix of some sort. Husky/Lab/GSD/etc. Basically a nice mutt of some of the active breeds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You've described a lot of traits common in herding and hunting breeds. If you're open to mixed breeds and don't care about looks, why not check out a shelter (or a lot of shelters in your area) and see who's up for adoption?
That's pretty well what I was thinking, really. Scour the shelters till you find that mix that seems like he'll fit the bill quite nicely. Doesn't sound like you really have any real specific traits on your list aside from an active, mid-size dog that can be trained.

·
Registered
647 Posts
What do you consider hot temperatures and how long do they last where you are?

A Canadian Inuit Dog could be a good pick. They are about 70 lbs (mine fluctuates between 60 and 70) and just one of those could easily pull your 125 lbs self. They are generally a challenge to train (they are quite stubborn) and they NEED to get their high energy spent properly. Could be quite a challenge for the vast majority of owners, but that seems like what you are searching for. Also, bonus point for being totally gorgeous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you consider hot temperatures and how long do they last where you are?

A Canadian Inuit Dog could be a good pick. They are about 70 lbs (mine fluctuates between 60 and 70) and just one of those could easily pull your 125 lbs self. They are generally a challenge to train (they are quite stubborn) and they NEED to get their high energy spent properly. Could be quite a challenge for the vast majority of owners, but that seems like what you are searching for. Also, bonus point for being totally gorgeous.
I live in Northern NJ, temps range from 0-100 but its more around 0- mid to high 70s. Are Canadian Inuits a breed that will take time to try and find them?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I live in Northern NJ, temps range from 0-100 but its more around 0- mid to high 70s. Are Canadian Inuits a breed that will take time to try and find them?
They are close to extinct, to be quite honest. Very few countries still recognize them as a breed still. But I'd say do your research and if your mind is settled on one, I could show you where to go. There's a non lucrative organization which saves dogs (mostly puppies, more often mixes) in the Great White North from certain death and find them families (mostly in Quebec, but I know they have gotten through with some adoptions in New York when they were low on families, as they are now).

If you want to see the style of dogs a tad more, I made a thread with way too many pictures of my own dog in the picture thread: http://www.dogforums.com/dog-pictures-forum/100833-teasing-confused-dog.html

He's the very definition of hyper. He needs a lot of exercise. We walk fast-paced, sled, snowshoe, run around a lot. He's very social with particular groups of people (kids, teens, most women) but extremely scared of others (most men), but that might be more related to his trauma. He does need to get to know people before giving them their trust. If he meets new people, his impulse is to cower behind me so I can protect him. Training needed a lot of patience. He doesn't do things just to please me and he has to decide it's a positive thing for him to do it. Extremely loyal dog, but not dependant. He's basically extremely loyal to everyone he warmed up to. He's a festival of fur (his undercoat is thick and his fur is long), but the shedding is nowhere near as bad as a husky's. It basically make big balls of fur rolling in the hallways, which are easy to pick up.

If you have questions, don't hesitate. If you want to do a bit more research, they are also known as the Canadian Inuit dogs or Inuit sled dog. Most sites will focus on the fact they are pack dog with a long tradition of wilderness, but almost all owners I've been in contact with have perfectly happy domesticated pet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello All!

UPDATE 02/26/2012**********************************
I after the posts so far it seems people are going with mixed breed which I'm completely fine with. What breed mixes should I look for then? I definitely know I want to do urban mushing because of the trails near me and when I can, I camp alot as well.
Since you want pulling, protection, and loyalty in a nutshell, I would go with a husky mixed with a herding breed. ACD, GSD, Border Collie, or Australian Shepherd perhaps.
For pure, I would go with ACD since they have the power to pull and are awesome!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Rescue - Lab, Lab x GSD, Lab x Husky. Most of the LabxGSD on the Forum are very intelligent, strong, sweet dogs ... I vote for the brown variety... And, they can bark, so undesirable people will be scared of them.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
American Pit bull terriers were bred to always respect people and love their owners. and do any job you ask them to do. They live to please their owners and they excel at agility, weight pulling, and dock jumping and basically any other task you put before them. they can have other dog aggression issues but there are SOOOOO many in shelters right now it would be easy to find one that loves other dogs. They are an everything dog.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrierRevisedNovember12008
or you could look into the hounds ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats a lot to consider! My first thought was a Border Collie because of their high energy level and they are beyond intelligent but I don't think I've met a B. Collie that weighs 70 lbs. I would think a Husky or Husky mix would be pretty much what you want. Golden Retrievers have almost all the traits that you listed except for being wary of strangers - they aren't wary of anyone! lol Will give the farm away so to speak. They are high drive dogs with a high prey instinct, love water, love to fetch - ANYTHING, gets along well with other dogs, tracks beautifully, hunts even better, adapt to almost all weather conditions - even rain and you won't find a dog more loyal! They are huge lap dogs! lol I don't really know what urban mushing is but whatever you want a golden to do he'll do!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'd stay away from hounds - I think they are more independent and possibly less active/less high energy than what you're looking for. A northern breed might work, but again, many will be more independent than what you want. The only northern breed I know who does agility is owned by Sibe, on this board. And I know a lot of agility dogs!

If you want to be seriously competitive in agility or disc, you're really looking at the herding breeds. Some of the other activities you mentioned would be great for northern breeds and hunting breeds. One advantage of getting a mix (from reputable sources such as shelters/rescues) is that the dog may have natural tendencies toward several different activities. My BC x pointer excels at agility and disc, but also shows a lot of promise in nosework.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A spanish water dog.
Please consider this. Waterdogs are just like you described your dreamdog.

I'll post pictures of my spanish water dog.
http://img.petsie.org/petsie021335613_b.jpg
http://img.petsie.org/petsie020455192_b.jpg
http://img.petsie.org/petsie021042270_b.jpg
http://img.petsie.org/petsie020484970_b.jpg
http://img.petsie.org/petsie021132497_b.jpg
http://img.petsie.org/petsie021106906_b.jpg

He'll fetch anything. Hell track anything. He is also ware of strangers, but not aggressive at all. He loves pulling. He loves agility. He is good at anything you tell him to do!

·
Banned
43 Posts
I would say a husky, lab retriever, border collie or Australian shepherd. The first thing I would do is look at your local shelter. There are many dogs that need a good home that would fit your criteria. Remember that not all dogs in one breed are exactly the same. To find a dog in a shelter that is already 1-2 years old would already have certain personality traits that you could view while in the shelter... Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts