Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I adopted a four year old beagle almost three weeks ago. We got her from a rescue a few hours away from here and were very happy with her. She had a few urinary complications but she's getting over it and still looking bright as ever. However, our new home doesn't have a fenced-in yard and the HOA simply won't allow fences. She really, really enjoys being outside and sniffing everything...several times.

So we discussed the issue for many nights and decided that we weren't the home for her. The foster said that she was an easy dog and would be fine without a fenced in yard, but unfortunately we just don't believe it to be true. My mother is thinking about taking her because she is such a great dog and they have a fenced-in yard, so we're at least happy about that.

I feel like my heart has been ripped from my chest, but I'm glad we made the decision 2+ weeks in instead of several months down the road.

I guess I'm not really sure what breed we should be looking for. My wife and I don't have a fenced-in yard, but we wouldn't be opposed to getting a buried electric fence. My wife absolutely wants the dog to be house-trained and to be happy being in the house for the majority of the day. We took the beagle on 4-5 walks a day, but she just always seemed to want to be outside. We also took her to the park for several hours on the weekend, and we'd continue to do that with a new dog. There will be some days, once she starts working again, that the dog will be alone for 6-7 hours (maximum). We also want to be able to walk the dog without a leash in the neighborhood, as we live in a dog-friendly neighborhood where everyone is pretty much an owner.

Should we wait a while before adopting again? Are we terrible people? Many rescues require a fence, but is there a place where people can put adoption ads up? (i.e. "Wife and husband looking for a dog that can be happy with a fenced-in yard, etc etc....")

I miss my beagle :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Believe it or not, the best dog for you would probably be a Great Dane, they are EXCELLENT inside dogs and really don't need you to be around for them all day so 6-7 hours would be more then fine. Don't be scared by their size, Great Danes are recommended as apartment dogs! They really are fine dogs!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I think the dog would have been perfectly happy without a fence, and the alternative would have been to tie her out and play with her outside. Beagles like it outside because of all the smells, so they love going on walks, and to new places. I don't have a fenced in yard and my two dogs love to be outside. I just adopted them a few weeks to a month ago and I live in the woods..the puppy gets to be off leash because she's still really young(10 weeks) and sticks by my side, although I know that won't last. The older dog is on a 30 foot tie out for play time outside with me and to run around in the woods a bit..We also go to parks and fenced in areas because the older dog doesn't have a reliable recall yet.

But I had it easy, our shelter just asks for money and you get the dog...

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I'm sorry, but the only reason you want to rehome her is you don't have a fenced in yard? I have a hound and live in an apartment...no putting my dog outside by herself at all and she isn't missing anything because of it. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, but the only reason you want to rehome her is you don't have a fenced in yard? I have a hound and live in an apartment...no putting my dog outside by herself at all and she isn't missing anything because of it. Am I missing something here?
I didn't say that was the only reason. I'm sure you can understand that although you may have a hound and maybe the same breed, the dogs can act very differently and have different needs. Among the many reasons, she needed a great deal of attention, and when she didn't get it she liked to pout. Sure, she was adjusting to the place and could have gotten over it but when my wife goes back to teaching in the fall and I start my grad courses while working 40 hours a week, we just don't think it'd be fair to the dog to not take her outside nearly as much.

I just don't know how to explain it...you can feel when a dog isn't happy. It made me hurt inside to see her hurt, as lame as that may sound. Think what you will. Maybe it wasn't the best decision, but maybe it is? Keep in mind that she's still staying in the family for now...my mother is retired and can give her all the attention she needs PLUS a big yard.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
. However, our new home doesn't have a fenced-in yard and the HOA simply won't allow fences. She really, really enjoys being outside and sniffing everything...several times.
So we discussed the issue for many nights and decided that we weren't the home for her. The foster said that she was an easy dog and would be fine without a fenced in yard, but unfortunately we just don't believe it to be true. My mother is thinking about taking her because she is such a great dog and they have a fenced-in yard, so we're at least happy about that.
I guess I'm not really sure what breed we should be looking for. My wife and I don't have a fenced-in yard, but we wouldn't be opposed to getting a buried electric fence. My wife absolutely wants the dog to be house-trained and to be happy being in the house for the majority of the day. We also want to be able to walk the dog without a leash in the neighborhood, as we live in a dog-friendly neighborhood where everyone is pretty much an owner.

:(
I chose a few points you made that I want to respond to. First of all, I don't think you did your homework before you got the beagle. Sad for the dog that she is going to a new home. Did you sign a contract with the rescue? If yes, you'd better look at that contract as most *reputable* rescues require that you give the dog back to them, not find a home yourself. If this rescue doesn't have a contract or doesnt' have this in the contract, it's not a reputable rescue. Plenty of dogs do just fine with daily walks, being tethered safely outside...the dog pouted? How in the heck do you know this dog pouted? Electric fences are fine in one aspect, they MAY keep your dog in your yard but they sure won't keep other animals/humans out of your yard. Think about that very carefully. I know people who's dogs have bolted right through the electric fence to get at something, I also know a couple of people who's dogs got the initial shock and are now terrified of the outdoors.
All dogs can be housetrained, keep in mind you can get an adult dog and they may have accidents their first few weeks at a new home. I expect it when I adopt a dog. NEVER expect a dog to be able to walk free in your neighborhood. It's a very irresponsible thing to do, let a dog loose. It may be a dog friendly neighborhood but you have no idea what your dog will do with other loose dogs and you don't know what other dogs will do with your loose dog. Disclaimer: I'm sure some of you won't agree with the above about loose dogs but that's JMO and I stick to that being an irresponsible thing to do, for most dogs.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
IMO, a dog is not a good thing at this time in your lives. Think about it very seriously before you consider adopting another dog. They require tremendous amounts of attention and time, which would be in short supply given your work loads and school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts