Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I was, enjoying a nice boring Thursday afternoon. Even though the temperature was a miserable 55°, I found a way to lounge back and relax with some wine. The Eagles were blaring, the sun was blazin' and it all came to a grinding halt. <insert ringtone here> The wife was 1.13 miles away at the grocery store and guess what... She locked the keys in the van (and needed a coupon printed), thankfully we have many sets sitting around the house. I went out to start the car and it was dead. Nothing. Not even a blink or a click. I tried a couple of neighbors and no one answered after five minutes. Called around to nearby people and no one was available to help. ¿What was I to do?... I'll give you one guess... Exactly. Broke out the x-backs and woke up the sled heads! In the midst of excited sled dog howls and woos, Bubba decided he was NOT going to be left behind. So I grudgingly put his x-back on, got some water, poop bags and it was time to gang them up. They couldn't have been awake for more than ten minutes when we set out. Now, I will admit the first half mile was slow and aggraveting. Between the boys peeing and Coco's new nemesis, it took about five minutes to get that far. Once that was all over though, we were rockin'. They all four instantly snapped to each 'gee', 'haw' and 'whoa'. ¿Was this really happening? Yes, yes it was... and let me tell you I was beaming. It took about eight minutes to get there from the house. Once there, I opened the van with keyless, we took a break and started back while the wife went liquor shopping. The ride back home was flawless and took four minutes and forty eight seconds. Sorry I didn't take pics, I feel awful posting without pics. In apologies I offer you this Google map of our trip...

My dogs are the best dogs for me EVER!!!

Additionally,
If you feel you have the time, tell me your story of how your dogs ultimately please you.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Thats awesome that they got into working mode and did well for you:)

I get so proud when I can walk Allie down the street, with a dog on the other side and she doesn't freak out, barking and snarling at the end of her leash. Instead she walks next to me, looking at the dog and back at me for hotdog bits.

I was very happy with them the other day (well really a week or two ago), I had let them out of the car and a cat ran across the driveway. They both took off, I yelled DOWN! and they both dropped to the ground.

·
Registered
291 Posts
OOOHH i can't wait for my xback to come in!!!!!!! :D i get so excited anytime anyone talks about dog sledding.... do you have pictues from any other sledding experiences you can share?! :D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello really pleases me at the park! He either walks close to my side or up ahead, as the whole point of going to the park is to let him get some exercise, fresh air, and to let loose, (but not off the leash loose). Since he's been adopted he's been so good on the leash; Other dogs don't bother him in the least, and it's not something I've trained him to do; When the other dogs, are pulling and gasping for air at the end of their leash, for at least a sniff of him, Donatello just keeps trekking on, he'll give'em a glance, but keep on trekking. If he starts trying to chase the geese, all I have to do is give a few, "No"s and he's back to his senses; He'll even leave the wild cats alone, unless I tell him to chase them away from our door.

He pleases me a lot, even though we're having a rough spout.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That is freakin' AWESOME! I wish you had a video of it. Steak all around for the sled heads!!!

Poca just has to be to make me happy but it tickles me no end when she understands new word combinations she's never heard before, e.g.:

-kong + bed = the kong I'm asking you to get is on your bed - and she gets it.
- daddy + big bed = daddy is upstairs -- go find him, and she does.

I randomly throw combinations at her and she gets a lot of them. Amazing girl.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was very happy with them the other day (well really a week or two ago), I had let them out of the car and a cat ran across the driveway. They both took off, I yelled DOWN! and they both dropped to the ground.
That's intense. I came across Sioux broken out of the house one time and he did a drop-stay from across four lanes of traffic. I'm still not sure I could get two out of any to do that today. That's great work there.

OOOHH i can't wait for my xback to come in!!!!!!! i get so excited anytime anyone talks about dog sledding.... do you have pictues from any other sledding experiences you can share?!
I have a few. Most have been posted before and I still get nervous when taking them out with the camera...

Bubba on the guest bed trying to hide...

Donatello really pleases me at the park! He either walks close to my side or up ahead, as the whole point of going to the park is to let him get some exercise, fresh air, and to let loose, (but not off the leash loose). Since he's been adopted he's been so good on the leash; Other dogs don't bother him in the least, and it's not something I've trained him to do; When the other dogs, are pulling and gasping for air at the end of their leash, for at least a sniff of him, Donatello just keeps trekking on, he'll give'em a glance, but keep on trekking. If he starts trying to chase the geese, all I have to do is give a few, "No"s and he's back to his senses; He'll even leave the wild cats alone, unless I tell him to chase them away from our door.

He pleases me a lot, even though we're having a rough spout.
Heh, that's what I was going for. I was trying to get everyone to think of the good things that make them so proud of their dogs.

That is freakin' AWESOME! I wish you had a video of it. Steak all around for the sled heads!!!

Poca just has to be to make me happy but it tickles me no end when she understands new word combinations she's never heard before, e.g.:

-kong + bed = the kong I'm asking you to get is on your bed - and she gets it.
- daddy + big bed = daddy is upstairs -- go find him, and she does.

I randomly throw combinations at her and she gets a lot of them. Amazing girl.
Nice. Chaining commands is something we just barley dabble in. That sounds like fun.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Y'all know all about the Bolo Beast and her problems by now...this is an excellent thread to give the news.

THREE INCHESfrom the face of an UTTERLY UNFAMILIAR dog= Zero Reaction!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOYAH!!!!!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I don't know about Bolo... is/was she somewhat dog aggressive or something?
Try dog seeking nuclear missile...

no barking, no growling, no snarling or showing teeth...

if you don't know what you are looking for you will be under the impression that the attack had zero warning....

they don't come more dog aggressive than Bolo.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a straight up SURGE in progress Zim!!! :eek: That has to feel good. I remember the first time Bubba sat and looked to me for guidance instead of flippin his lid. My day was perfect if he refrained from huffing at a dog. Great work!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
That's a straight up SURGE in progress Zim!!! :eek: That has to feel good. I remember the first time Bubba sat and looked to me for guidance instead of flippin his lid. My day was perfect if he refrained from huffing at a dog. Great work!
TJ put an idea in my head and I not only ran with it, I skipped, I hopped and I danced with it too...

goes like this...

I had gotten her to the point where I could desensitize her to individual dogs..so I had a few of her buddies over and we played a game. I had Bolo down stay across the room and sat down directly in her line of sight and had one ofher buddies sit right by me. I started with her focus cue(where she holds looking at my face) and shaped a new focus cue where she had to hold a focus on the other dog...repeated this with different buddies, different rooms,inside/outside, on walks etc etc.. then we went to my neighbor's who has a bluetick coonhound and a Catahoula that hang out in a fence all day..those two..francie and belle love me and I am allowed to go in there...but Bolo hasn't been desensitized fully to them, so I wait till the coast is clear and tied Bolo by the fence and went in. Reshaped the focus on thedog next to me cue...built up from there...I have still been using my routine with the flirtpole and intermittently alternating it with this new game...and today it TRULY PAID OFF...

this enormous lab was charging around off leash noowner in sight...and ran strait at us...I did my usual down then stay andthen added the focus cue and began to pray(and im not religious lol) and she HELD IT!!!!!!! the lab was a total dope and just wanted to be friendly...I could tell she still wanted to attack...her shark eyes were in full effect and every hair on her body was standing straight up and she was whining profusely....but she held it and I got the lab and leashed him, tied him up and then had a hardcore flirtpole session right in the middle of the street plus tons of treats and praise...

yes. it feels SO GOOD. there may be hope for my girl after all...I have this dream of getting her a CGC before she dies...an accomplishment of MONUMENTAL proportions...

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Well, I would say it sounds like you have more of a goal, than a dream.
...well....I think you don't pass if your dog outright kills the other dog during the meet another dog part......so I need to have a cue that combines every aspect of the desensitizing training I am doing that elicits the good behaviors I want here with the level of strength equivalent to that which supermassive singularity engulfs stars.

that's going to take a while.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
harrise, not trying to be dense here, Did you skate? or do you have a sled that does not require snow? I don't know much about the sled dog business, but it looks like fun!:D
It was a bike in this story. That's what I usually use for training, but I have been know to rollerblade, skateboard and snowboard as well. Still haven't decided if we'll ever get a sled, I might go the ski route next. Just missing one key ingredient: Snow. I can look out the front door and see it hammering the mountains as I type this. It's just teasing me with light flakes blowing off the hills and melting before they hit the ground. Ugh. Lots of snow up there, but I don't have a way of taking all the dogs and equipment right now.

...well....I think you don't pass if your dog outright kills the other dog during the meet another dog part......so I need to have a cue that combines every aspect of the desensitizing training I am doing that elicits the good behaviors I want here with the level of strength equivalent to that which supermassive singularity engulfs stars.

that's going to take a while.
HA! Talk about a metaphor. You definitely have done some hard work there. I only had to get Bubba's reaction to seeing another dog under control, then he could meet and greet without a problem. Just something about a 27" 125lb dog barking and pushing his way to another dog's butt that the other dogs didn't like. He would hackle and bare teeth at first, but nothing even remotely close to shark eyes. That's another level for sure. What a lucky dog she is.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Cerbie makes me proud every day. He's my buddy, and he's very in tune with me. He knows when I'm getting up to take them walking, or if I'm just going to the fridge for a soda. He makes me laugh all the time, which is great. I was especially proud of him last weekend when one of my friends that encourages him to jump came over, and he stayed in his bed while I opened the door and let her in, and he stayed in the bed while she pet him. That's my boy.

Brigit was my BAAAAAD puppy. She and I seriously had difficulties for a long time. She was our first puppy, and she's a girl, and she came from a pppy mill type situation, and had aggression issues with both us and Cerb. Now, she's a completely different dog. I can sit with her in my lap now, she listens to commands about 75% of the time (before she would either bite you and hide, or she'd pee on the floor when you told her to sit, things like that). All the hard work is paying off, finally. She's still a bit leash reactive to dogs behind fences while we walk, but we're even making progress with that. Last night, she grabbed a bandana and took it under the couch to shred it, and I asked her to leave it and come out, and she did. I was so proud.

Maximus, my sweet boy, made me very proud the other night at the petstore. There were 3 little boys, and they were all very loud, and Max is very fearful, as he was beaten for the first 4 years of his life. He crawled into one of the boys lap and licked his nose. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. That made me proud of his progress. He's quite the silly happy boy now.

Wow, that was a long one. I'm loving everyone's stories about their dogs. I'm glad the sled heads helped you out.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
That's awesome Harrise! I was going to ask what you were on too (the bike). :p

So I take it Bubba is still doing well pulling since he wanted to go with?? On the map those look like pretty busy streets, do you all fit on the sidewalk or do you ride on the road? How fast do you go once they are in form?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CerbiesMom: It sounds like you've had a bit of a project too. We finally got past the fence thing once I let them each have their own fence nemesis. The one dog that sets my dog off. After that, they could not care less about those fence fighters. I really cheesed some people off with the training for that. I would spend upwards of 20 minutes next to the fence that set them off, all the while the dog behind it was going nuts. People would come out of their houses in robes sporting a lit cigarette and quite literally yell at me to leave. I just ignored them and continued the training. Sometimes I wonder what that did to the dogs behind the fence, but my results were enough for me not to care.

That's awesome Harrise! I was going to ask what you were on too (the bike). :p

So I take it Bubba is still doing well pulling since he wanted to go with?? On the map those look like pretty busy streets, do you all fit on the sidewalk or do you ride on the road? How fast do you go once they are in form?
Bubba is loving the pulling work, and I love that he can go more than 50 feet without lifting a leg now. In fact, his drive is about to Ridik's level. My next project is braiding up a new gangline so I can set them up 2 x 2 with Bubba and Ridik out front. The streets aren't too busy (except at school dismissal), usually we stick to the sidewalks or bike lanes. They tend to stay fairly close together while pulling. Yesterday's outing was made easier by the crossing guards' help. We didn't have to stop and wait for traffic. Most of the time people slow down to stare and give us the right of way when we really don't need it. I'm glad you asked about the speed because I totally forgot to mention that. A long time ago I downloaded an app for my phone that tracks via GPS and puts it on a Google map with stats to go along with it. The fastest we got up to was 17.4 MPH, and the average was 10.6 MPH. Maybe I can remember to activate that app from now on. It would be nice to keep track of all that info to monitor progress.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That is so awesome! My pup could never do anything like that, but he's working on housebreaking and I am very pleased and proud of him. He'll wait at the door for me! This is such a huge, gigantic step from a month ago, where we first brought him into the house and he walked a couple steps and then just peed on the carpet xD I think the best moments of dog ownership are when your hard work finally pays off :]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts