Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our baby (Shih Tzu named Versace) now since Feb 8th 2008. He will be 6 months on the 20th of this month. In that time we were able to finally teach him to ring a bell to let us know that he has to go out and it's working like a charm. For the 3 weeks that we rang the bell every time we went out it finally sunk in that now he is doing it for himself and no more accidents in the house. We still watch him and crate him when we are not home or when we go to bed but other then that he is left out. When we do crate him he is with us in the same room including when we go to bed he is in our bedroom. After 25 yrs without a dog I'm sure glad we have our baby now.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Congratulations on your puppy!! Sounds like Versace is fitting into his new home just great & doing so well!
I know using the bell method isn't for everyone, but we potty trained DJ with a bell & it really worked well for us too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too trained my dog "gottago door bell" for potty and I like it a lot because you can bring it to wherever you go and all you need to do is to tell the dog where the bell is and it worked good at my in-law house as well.My dog hits hard if she needed potty urgently,and if I am late than she wants then,she hits again,lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Love, Love, LOVE the bell! Echo learned how to use the bell in roughly a day, and has been great with it since then. The only down-side is that she can get a little bell crazy when she just wants to go outside and play with my hubby and/or I. Otherwise, it's made house-training a dream!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I never thought of taking the bell with us when we go away. I was wondering how we would handle going down the shore house which is my MIL's. I was getting nervous that all our hard would go down the drain in a different house. :confused:

Second I gotta laugh I thought it was only us that Versace got a little bell crazy. Yes when he wants to go out and play he hits the bell. We are in that stage now and if he does really have to go he runs and jump at the bell to ring it really loud and then looks at us and then will go back and ring it again...LOL;)

He also loves to ride in the truck. I say "do you want to take a ride" and he goes nuts. Once in the truck he sits right down on his blanket and is a good boy. We take a ride every morning to take my son to school.

OK do I sound like a proud mom...LOL:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts