Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting tomorrow I'm training my dogs to eliminate in the same area. I'm tired of scouring the yard for poo. If they eliminate in the same area every time, then I just have to hose it down with bleach periodically and I can handle that.

Any tips aside from taking the dog to that area every time and clicking/treating?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Once the dog is reliably housetrained, I take him to the designated area and let him sniff around. If he tries to go somewhere else, I pukll/call him back. After a few minutes, I give him the "Do it" cue (which he already knew). If he doesn't go within a few minutes, I bring him back inside and try again in 15 minutes or a half hour. They catch on quick.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
One thing you might try....mark off the designated area with flag tape, driveway markers or something that will be a visual aid for the area. Once they get used to the spot, you should be able to remove the visuals.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We worked on it today. Dog 1 refuses to pee on a leash but poops every trip. Dog 2 refuses to poop, but pees on every trip. I can handle the dog peeing elsewhere on the lawn, but the dog not pooping is going to cause problems.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I once got an adult dog who was reverse house broken. She would only crap inside. She could hold it a very long time. I gave her glycerin suppositories before going outside. That shortened our outdoor excursions, considerably.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i set up a yard for mine that is specifically for them to eliminate in....it only took me about 3 days of telling them to go in there and praising b/4 they were going there by just telling them to "get in the yard"....these were dogs that had been able to go where they wanted in the yard for 2 (Tir) to 8 (Tipper) yrs of having them....you just approach it as you would house training....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I once got an adult dog who was reverse house broken. She would only crap inside. She could hold it a very long time. I gave her glycerin suppositories before going outside. That shortened our outdoor excursions, considerably.
Cocker spaniel went out today and refused to poop again. He's housebroken, but was not interested in going in my spot. He did squat at one point, but got distracted by my other dog peeing so he just stayed in a squat for 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wish I could teach Donatello a cue to make him poo, and I wish I could have a designated area for him to "poo", but we live in an apartment complex and teaching him to poo in a designated area is hard at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts