Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I really hope this guy is just being a jerk. If what he says is true, I'd be reporting him.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm from NYC. I had no idea you actually could take a dog into the woods and shoot it. Is that legal? Is it legal to kill a dog outside of a vet's office? I would have thought you'd get into some kind of trouble for that. Is it legal to shoot a gun in the woods, outside of hunting season with a permit? I'm in northern NJ now. I can't imagine just going into the park, my yard, or the reservation and shooting off a gun without someone calling the police. We don't have any "woods." It's either a park, private property, or a reservation. I mean the "woods" belong to someone and if it's public property doesn't the governement frown on shooting dogs on its property?

OK, I guess I'm an ignorant city gal, but this whole thing is super strange to me.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
LOL, guns are everywhere here. Kids get .22s for their 10th birthdays. It's legal to discharge a firearm anywhere not in city limits. Plus farmers have huge properties. Even if they could only shoot on their own land they'd have plenty of room.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm in the south, and that mentality is fairly common.

Outdoor cats are very common, every farm has barn cats.

Shooting is legal and common in the country. I'm not sure for dogs, but euthanasia by gunshot is still recommended for livestock and wildlife.

Everyone hunts here, so most mornings and evenings you hear gunfire during duck, deer, turkey, and raccoon or quail season. Which takes up most of the year. When nothing is in season, they all practice shoot. My seventeen year old son and friends have skeet shooting competitions here on the farm. Most high schools have trap shoot teams.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know people with gun ranges in their houses. It's everywhere around here. I had to get used it quick. Everyone I know has a gun. No one knows if you take a dog out to the woods and shoot it.

I work with a rescue here and we always struggle with applications for larger dogs. We have a "no outside dog" policy and it seems to offend people. For some reason small dogs should never be left out side and large dogs should always.

I have conversations with a co-worker all the time because he has two outside lab mixes and they have dug up his yard, chewed their dog houses and his deck. I keep telling him they are bored and need attention and exercise and that they would stop tearing stuff up. Luckily he is not of the "I'll just shoot the dog" mindset.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
You have a raccoon season? Here it's legal to shoot "varmints" all year. That includes raccoons, skunks, possums, coyotes, muskrats, and maybe foxes and beavers (although those might be under "fur trade animals" and it's different rules). So of course everybody has to keep a gun in his pickup truck just in case he sees a varmint that needs killing. I think free-roaming dogs and cats are considered varmints as well, although to avoid neighbor trouble they generally call around before shooting them.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Most places where you are allowed to hunt, where you can legally fire a gun, you can also legally 'euthanize' your own dog. As far as I know this includes everywhere in the USA from Alaska to California to Miami to Maine. However, you are not allowed to be abusive or cruel. I'm not sure how the Law would classify 'hunting' your dog, but I believe that would be abusive.

Although more people in the South go hunting and know how to use guns, just like everywhere else if you're not interested you won't normally hear about. Southern manners still exist, Sir and M'am. Charleston, SC is still considered one of the best mannered cities on the country. Atlanta has the benefits and detractions of any big city, just like NYC on a smaller scale. The weather tends to be warmer in the South. The South isn't 'better,' but we don't have more than the average share of hicks, kooks, and crazies... Definitely worth a visit, depending on where you want to visit.... And, I didn't mention Texas once :)

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Southern manners still exist, Sir and M'am.
"Oh, I'm Southern, too. I know that when she says "Thank yew sooo much", she's really saying "and you know where you can put that"" (line from "The Closer" ;)).

I suspect that Southern Manners are very similar to Minnesota Nice :p.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
...Ugh. I was thinking of moving south, but now I'm seriously having second thoughts. How common is this hick-ish attitude in the south? I thought it was just an out-of-date stereotype.
the South is far more diverse than people give it credit for. Geographically, the "south" is anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. But culturally, there is a massive difference between South Florida (Latin, Urban, snowbirds etc) and rural Georgia or Tennessee. Or Texas vs West Virginia. Typically the cities are like the cities anywhere, with higher proportions of college graduates and greater ethnic and economic diversity.

Unfortunately there are still pockets of areas where the type of callousness displayed by the man referenced in the first post remains. But on the flip side, there are forward thinking areas like Ashville NC, Atlanta GA, Louisville KY, Nashville TN and other locations. There are small towns that are caring, welcoming and show off the best side of "southerners" and are wonderful places to live.

Consider a specific location on its own merits and not by a stereotype of its region.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts