Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had heard it all before, in this area especially, up until the part about not leaving food or water. Actually not sure why an uncontained dog would hang around where there is no food. That's why I think if it's true, someone else is feeding the dog those "3 or 4 days" when its not around.

My parents don't believe that animals belong in the house. We had outdoor cats when I was a kid. We fed them and my parents fixed the females but not the males. A couple of times they got injured and we took them to the vet, but one was badly injured once and my dad shot her. I disagree with that whole mentality, but I'm definitely used to it.
That was something I had to get used to when I moved to Alabama. I would see a dog running down the side of a rural road with no collar and I would want to catch it. In my mind it's a stray. My BF would argue with me that it belonged to someone it was common. Sure enough I would follow the dog home to it's house.

I was donating some old rugs and towels to a shelter one time and while I was there a gentleman brought his dog in. It hat bitten a kid and he didn't want to pay for the quarantine so he was bringing it there to be put to sleep. The poor dog was thin and just mats of fur. Looked like it hadn't been brushed in years. When the shelter said they couldn't do that, the mans reply was i will just take it to the woods and shoot it. I stepped in at that point and offered to pay for whatever was needed but the shelter ended up taking the dog in the end.

I work with so many people who don't believe dogs belong inside and think it's crazy I have 3 dogs all over 40lbs that live inside with me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
...Ugh. I was thinking of moving south, but now I'm seriously having second thoughts. How common is this hick-ish attitude in the south? I thought it was just an out-of-date stereotype.
Define "the south". I moved from Central Florida to Central Alabama which is technically North, but quickly found out how "Northern" I really am. I am still referred to as the "Yankee" six years later.

Seriously though, it really all just depends. I think you have pockets of ignorance everywhere.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know people with gun ranges in their houses. It's everywhere around here. I had to get used it quick. Everyone I know has a gun. No one knows if you take a dog out to the woods and shoot it.

I work with a rescue here and we always struggle with applications for larger dogs. We have a "no outside dog" policy and it seems to offend people. For some reason small dogs should never be left out side and large dogs should always.

I have conversations with a co-worker all the time because he has two outside lab mixes and they have dug up his yard, chewed their dog houses and his deck. I keep telling him they are bored and need attention and exercise and that they would stop tearing stuff up. Luckily he is not of the "I'll just shoot the dog" mindset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts