Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When I was growing up, it was pretty common for people to allow their dogs to wander. And not fix them. I remember our poodle having a litter of pups after the neighbor's collie mix hopped the fence. That dog also would jump the fence and fight with our dogs, it was this ongoing issue. We also had the neighbor's cats in our yard all the time, they went on vacation for a week, left a ton of cat food in their basement, big litterboxes too, and a cat door. They came home to 20 or so cats hanging out in their house!

Now in the city it's changed quite a bit, cats and dogs don't wander, it's more likely they're also fixed. In the rural areas like we're in, it's a mix of both, there's some that have indoor only cats and are responsible with their pets, and then some that are still stuck in the 'good old days' where they have horrible ideas about how to raise and keep their pets. Like the one fellow in our church, nice man, but they have had quite a few dogs over the years because a) it's a farm, and farm dogs shouldn't be penned up and b) a 'smart' dog would naturally not hang out on or near the busy highway that's 50 feet from their house. He's convinced mixed breeds are smarter because the ones he's had have made it to past a year old before getting run over.

I'm guessing your co-worker is likely either that type or pushing buttons. Either way if your friend can get the dog and rehome him, that's wonderful, but I wouldn't be shocked if the guy goes and gets himself another dog....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts