Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
I'd have to disagree, I have a good friend with 4 "outdoor" cats, She has gotten them all neutered, she brings them to the vet on a regular basis for vaccines and treats them for parasites. They are most definitely HER cats and not at all strays.
Um, yeah. I'm not a fan of tame cats being outside unsupervised, but when I was a teenager, we had indoor/outdoor cats who were definitely ours. Fixed, vetted, wormed, collared/tagged, fed, let indoors when they wanted. I wouldn't have liked it if someone took them because they were "strays". Although a couple of them would have been returned pretty quickly :p.

Bah, I've given up on most people when it comes to how they treat animals. There was a conversation at an office I was subbing at, one guy was complaining because the boarding kennel charged $30 a night because his wife just HAD to have their dog at the fanciest place with all the amenities. Another guy said he just shoots his dogs whenever he'll be gone for more than a week (less than a week and he just leaves a bag of food out). . .gets new ones when he gets back. The first guy said he would like to but his wife wouldn't let him. I know some of that is just macho posturing, but ugh.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
UF Girl said:
Seriously though, it really all just depends. I think you have pockets of ignorance everywhere.
Yeah, that. Because, contrary to the name, South Dakota isn't south of anything but North Dakota and Canada. And I don't even know if I can call it ignorance. These guys are the nicest people in the world. They're responsible and well-behaved. They know very well that there are vets and what they do. They just don't think that an animal is worth anything other than what it can do for humans, and if it can't do that thing any more then you kill it. A pet's function is to entertain humans, and once they become less entertainment and more trouble you kill them. And a "Remington pill" cures everything and is cheaper than a vet. I'm told this is the proper farming attitude, but last time I said that here someone got mad :p.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
LOL, guns are everywhere here. Kids get .22s for their 10th birthdays. It's legal to discharge a firearm anywhere not in city limits. Plus farmers have huge properties. Even if they could only shoot on their own land they'd have plenty of room.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
You have a raccoon season? Here it's legal to shoot "varmints" all year. That includes raccoons, skunks, possums, coyotes, muskrats, and maybe foxes and beavers (although those might be under "fur trade animals" and it's different rules). So of course everybody has to keep a gun in his pickup truck just in case he sees a varmint that needs killing. I think free-roaming dogs and cats are considered varmints as well, although to avoid neighbor trouble they generally call around before shooting them.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Southern manners still exist, Sir and M'am.
"Oh, I'm Southern, too. I know that when she says "Thank yew sooo much", she's really saying "and you know where you can put that"" (line from "The Closer" ;)).

I suspect that Southern Manners are very similar to Minnesota Nice :p.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts