Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at work yesterday and a friend/coworker of mine and I are talking about vet bills, she's saying how much she just spent on her lab, I'm telling her about my bc's broken toe, and we're talking about the company's pet insurance, whether it's worth it. This guy we work with jumps in and says if his dog got sick he would just shoot it. Ok, so we live in north georgia and I hear this sometimes. I let it go...we keep talking and he jumps in again and says his dog lives outside and just roams. Ok, I hear this sometimes too....THEN he says he doesn't feed it or give it water, that it hunts for its food and drinks from the stream. And he only sees it every 3 or 4 days. And he says not to worry, its healthy, it comes when he calls it, he gives it attention, etc. He says he doesn't want to feed it because then it will become dependant on him. I tell him I would bet money that its not hunting, someone else is feeding it, and as far as I'm concerned it's not his dog, that it's a stray that hangs around his house. Well, now my friend says she is going to his house and is going to take the dog, and of course we all know stealing is wrong, but he would definitely have a hard time saying that was ever his dog I think. Really weird situation.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sounds like the guys was trying to push your buttons. However if he's being truthful he doesn't deserve the dog.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the guys was trying to push your buttons. However if he's being truthful he doesn't deserve the dog.
I wondered if that was the case myself. At the very least he said he pets it and gives it attention tho, so I'm inclined to believe he's telling the truth. I do have a hard time believing he doesn't toss it some table scraps or something.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Assuming he's telling the truth, it's not his dog. He doesn't board it, feed it, brush it, vet it, etc. I mean, I can call a certain tree along the river "my tree", that doesn't mean I have legal rights to it.

So your friend wouldn't be stealing, she'd be rescuing a stray.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a similar discussion about "outdoor" cats. I'm a firm believer in there is no such thing as an "outdoor" cat, they are strays you are feeding.** I do understand ferals though, we have a high feral population, you can't get near them, I see them with birds or mice or baby squirrels in their mouths, but I'm bothered when someone tells me they own an "outdoor" cat. So in my opinion, he says "owns" a dog that he only sees every 3 or 4 days, but he doesn't feed or water or take to the vet or keep it up to date on vaccinations, its a stray. Kudos to your friend if she really goes and gets the dog. However this could be an imaginary dog and he's just trying to rile you up.

**Forgot to mention barn cats, but my experience with barn cats are my grandparent's and they were basically trap-neuter-released feral cats that they left food out for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember when I was younger my friend had a dog that was always gone. He would leave food and water for it but it would always get out of the fence. It was an old fence that had a lot of holes in it. But whenever it would come around it was the nicest dog and treated my friend as its master. There are also farm people I know that do this with their dogs. But with that guy saying he doesn't leave food or water for his dog then I doubt what he was telling yu was true. (I don't care how much of a survivalist my dog is I would still leave food and fresh water for it if it.)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When I was growing up, it was pretty common for people to allow their dogs to wander. And not fix them. I remember our poodle having a litter of pups after the neighbor's collie mix hopped the fence. That dog also would jump the fence and fight with our dogs, it was this ongoing issue. We also had the neighbor's cats in our yard all the time, they went on vacation for a week, left a ton of cat food in their basement, big litterboxes too, and a cat door. They came home to 20 or so cats hanging out in their house!

Now in the city it's changed quite a bit, cats and dogs don't wander, it's more likely they're also fixed. In the rural areas like we're in, it's a mix of both, there's some that have indoor only cats and are responsible with their pets, and then some that are still stuck in the 'good old days' where they have horrible ideas about how to raise and keep their pets. Like the one fellow in our church, nice man, but they have had quite a few dogs over the years because a) it's a farm, and farm dogs shouldn't be penned up and b) a 'smart' dog would naturally not hang out on or near the busy highway that's 50 feet from their house. He's convinced mixed breeds are smarter because the ones he's had have made it to past a year old before getting run over.

I'm guessing your co-worker is likely either that type or pushing buttons. Either way if your friend can get the dog and rehome him, that's wonderful, but I wouldn't be shocked if the guy goes and gets himself another dog....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had heard it all before, in this area especially, up until the part about not leaving food or water. Actually not sure why an uncontained dog would hang around where there is no food. That's why I think if it's true, someone else is feeding the dog those "3 or 4 days" when its not around.

My parents don't believe that animals belong in the house. We had outdoor cats when I was a kid. We fed them and my parents fixed the females but not the males. A couple of times they got injured and we took them to the vet, but one was badly injured once and my dad shot her. I disagree with that whole mentality, but I'm definitely used to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had heard it all before, in this area especially, up until the part about not leaving food or water. Actually not sure why an uncontained dog would hang around where there is no food. That's why I think if it's true, someone else is feeding the dog those "3 or 4 days" when its not around.

My parents don't believe that animals belong in the house. We had outdoor cats when I was a kid. We fed them and my parents fixed the females but not the males. A couple of times they got injured and we took them to the vet, but one was badly injured once and my dad shot her. I disagree with that whole mentality, but I'm definitely used to it.
That was something I had to get used to when I moved to Alabama. I would see a dog running down the side of a rural road with no collar and I would want to catch it. In my mind it's a stray. My BF would argue with me that it belonged to someone it was common. Sure enough I would follow the dog home to it's house.

I was donating some old rugs and towels to a shelter one time and while I was there a gentleman brought his dog in. It hat bitten a kid and he didn't want to pay for the quarantine so he was bringing it there to be put to sleep. The poor dog was thin and just mats of fur. Looked like it hadn't been brushed in years. When the shelter said they couldn't do that, the mans reply was i will just take it to the woods and shoot it. I stepped in at that point and offered to pay for whatever was needed but the shelter ended up taking the dog in the end.

I work with so many people who don't believe dogs belong inside and think it's crazy I have 3 dogs all over 40lbs that live inside with me.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I had a similar discussion about "outdoor" cats. I'm a firm believer in there is no such thing as an "outdoor" cat, they are strays you are feeding.** I do understand ferals though, we have a high feral population, you can't get near them, I see them with birds or mice or baby squirrels in their mouths, but I'm bothered when someone tells me they own an "outdoor" cat. So in my opinion, he says "owns" a dog that he only sees every 3 or 4 days, but he doesn't feed or water or take to the vet or keep it up to date on vaccinations, its a stray. Kudos to your friend if she really goes and gets the dog. However this could be an imaginary dog and he's just trying to rile you up.

**Forgot to mention barn cats, but my experience with barn cats are my grandparent's and they were basically trap-neuter-released feral cats that they left food out for.
I'd have to disagree, I have a good friend with 4 "outdoor" cats, She has gotten them all neutered, she brings them to the vet on a regular basis for vaccines and treats them for parasites. They are most definitely HER cats and not at all strays.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'd have to disagree, I have a good friend with 4 "outdoor" cats, She has gotten them all neutered, she brings them to the vet on a regular basis for vaccines and treats them for parasites. They are most definitely HER cats and not at all strays.
Um, yeah. I'm not a fan of tame cats being outside unsupervised, but when I was a teenager, we had indoor/outdoor cats who were definitely ours. Fixed, vetted, wormed, collared/tagged, fed, let indoors when they wanted. I wouldn't have liked it if someone took them because they were "strays". Although a couple of them would have been returned pretty quickly :p.

Bah, I've given up on most people when it comes to how they treat animals. There was a conversation at an office I was subbing at, one guy was complaining because the boarding kennel charged $30 a night because his wife just HAD to have their dog at the fanciest place with all the amenities. Another guy said he just shoots his dogs whenever he'll be gone for more than a week (less than a week and he just leaves a bag of food out). . .gets new ones when he gets back. The first guy said he would like to but his wife wouldn't let him. I know some of that is just macho posturing, but ugh.

·
Registered
332 Posts
She's a good person for taking care of them.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
She's a good person for taking care of them.
I possibly should add she lives on a farm and got the cats as pets specifically to keep mice from becoming an issue with the grain and feed for the cows, horses, and sheep. The cats all are fed in the barn with the horses and if she is having a large gathering at her place she puts all the cats in cat condos for the time to keep them safe from strange dogs and vehicles.

·
Registered
259 Posts
To the OP, I hope that is indeed just him trying to press your buttons, but if not...sheesh. Definitely no real claim to ownership though, as others have said.

And I'm from Alabama, so I, too, have heard enough people in the south with their "just shoot it" mentality and I can't stand it. Spend the money and put the animal to sleep, or better yet, give it to a pound or shelter where it at least has a chance of some sort. Hate it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Ah the joys of the the south <3
.-. -_-

Then again, I guess there are idiots everywhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally, if I thought for an instant that this idiot was telling the truth about his dog....ie no water and food....I would report him to the ASPCA. In my opinion, that is cruelty.

Why or why do people get animals and then not accept the responsibility for them? They can just go without animals, and both the animals life, and theirs will be much better.

I live in the Midwest, and have 21 acre horse ranch....with a heated 10 stall barn. 4 horses, 4 dogs (indoor dogs), fenced 1/2 acre yard, and 2 barn cats....my barn cats live in the heated barn, have been neutered/spayed, have their yearly shots, and are wormed on a regular basis, and a constantly filled 24 hour food in my tack room...they are even litter trained. They never go anywhere (my vet said.....why would they leave?, they have it made). They were born in my barn, and the feral mother cat was killed. So, I adopted them.

Responsibility is getting to be very scarce now-adays....either for animals, children, or accepting responsibility for ones own actions............how sad.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You wouldn't believe how many people told me to just euthanize my otherwise healthy 2 year old cat who had a urinary obstruction, (~$2k vet bill) AND we had health insurance on him. It makes me really stabby... I made a committment to my pets and unless and until the bad outweighs the good, I will care for them to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
554 Posts
...Ugh. I was thinking of moving south, but now I'm seriously having second thoughts. How common is this hick-ish attitude in the south? I thought it was just an out-of-date stereotype.

·
Registered
109 Posts
...Ugh. I was thinking of moving south, but now I'm seriously having second thoughts. How common is this hick-ish attitude in the south? I thought it was just an out-of-date stereotype.
Define "the south". I moved from Central Florida to Central Alabama which is technically North, but quickly found out how "Northern" I really am. I am still referred to as the "Yankee" six years later.

Seriously though, it really all just depends. I think you have pockets of ignorance everywhere.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
UF Girl said:
Seriously though, it really all just depends. I think you have pockets of ignorance everywhere.
Yeah, that. Because, contrary to the name, South Dakota isn't south of anything but North Dakota and Canada. And I don't even know if I can call it ignorance. These guys are the nicest people in the world. They're responsible and well-behaved. They know very well that there are vets and what they do. They just don't think that an animal is worth anything other than what it can do for humans, and if it can't do that thing any more then you kill it. A pet's function is to entertain humans, and once they become less entertainment and more trouble you kill them. And a "Remington pill" cures everything and is cheaper than a vet. I'm told this is the proper farming attitude, but last time I said that here someone got mad :p.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts