Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing a ton of researching figuring out what kind of training is necessary for a puppy. Im finding out which command should be taught first, like you are supposed to teach your puppy the sit command before you train your puppy to stay. They say to do it this way because when you tell you puppy to stay, the dog will 95% of the time sit while the puppy stays.

What surprised me the most is that you are supposed to walk your dog a certain way, so your dog learns that you are in charge not him/her. They call it the Heel command. And I read that it is an advanced training command so not a lot of people do it.

Also one important thing I learned is that the day you get your dog is the day you are supposed to start training. Do not wait until the dog is older. Like if I get my dog at 4 months. I'm not supposed to wait until the dog is like 6 months. I start training the day I get the puppy. I did not know that.

I'm learning so much.

Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm (hope the link works).

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
That link about walking is hooey. Anything you read about dominance, being the 'pack leader' or etc is wrong, as these theories have been disproven by science for quite some time now.

Of course you -can- teach a heel command if you want to, but it's not going to make your dog respect you more or listen better generally speaking. As long as my dog is walking on a loose leash I'm happy, whether she's a bit ahead, behind, or beside.

Otherwise it sounds like you're off to a great start!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay if this isnt true, what training can I do that trains the dog to respect and listen to me? If my new dog wont respect or listen Im in trouble. :)

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
It's not really about respect, just about teaching them what you want then to do. If I ask my dog to sit and she doesn't, I look at WHY she isn't sitting. Maybe the environment is too distracting, maybe she's uncomfortable on the surface I'm asking her to sit on (wet or uncomfortable texture), maybe I haven't done enough training and she isn't familiar enough with the word/hand signal yet, maybe I haven't done enough practice in different environments for her to understand that 'sit' means the same thing everywhere, maybe she's experiencing pain that makes it uncomfortable for her to sit. There are lots of reasons why a dog may not follow a command, but lack of respect isn't one of them.

I would check out kikopup and Zak George on youtube for general training tips, and I know both have multiple videos on polite leash walking. Especially with a puppy though, most of it is just time and consistency.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
It's really about reinforcing what you want, and managing the dog so he can't get into trouble while he's learning what is acceptable.

Dogs don't understand the concept of "respect". They listen to people who have trained them. Some naturally listen better than others and want to be in tune with their handlers, and others are more independent and have their own ideas. But it's not about respect the way people think about respect.

Take your dog to good positive training classes and watching videos on YouTube from Zak George and KikoPup. And stay away from DogBreedInfo.

·
Registered
721 Posts
sad but true that the whole respect/ dominance thing is not true at all. When you are training you are really just doing a Pavlov effect on your dog. www.simplypsychology.org this is a link that tells some of the things about what is really happening when you train your dog. It is repetition, association and conditioning and nothing more.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Training isn't just the sit, down, stand, come, stay and heel one learns in obedience classes. It is pay attention to me. Follow me. Stay away from my feet. Quiet. Wait until the food dish is on the ground before starting to eat. No digging in the water bowl. No peeing/pooping in the house. No chewing on the furniture. Stay out of the dirty clothes hamper and so on! Good puppy parents have a picture in their mind of how the adult dog is going to behave and gently redirect and prevent behaviors puppies will do that they don't want the grown dog to be doing.

Most of us don't do strict heeling we do loose leash walking instead which is not a whole lot easier to teach a dog. Look at silky leash for training LLW.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
dogbreedinfo.com, if i could nuke that site from orbit, I would.

Dogs don't know respect. They know trust, they know love, they know pleasure, they know pain. The type of training advocated on dogbreedinfo.com teaches dogs that if they do things, they will get hurt. After a while, the dog stops doing things altogether. When I first got my dog, I asked him to sit, just to see if he knew the cue. He curled up and waited for the pain to start. He wouldn't do anything. Everyone marveled at how well behaved he was, I tried everything to draw him out, to find the dog stuck inside. I've had him 3 years. Yesterday, for the very first time, he barked at me to get me to play with him. I didn't even know what he was doing at first. 3 years.

You can have a well behaved dog that isn't afraid to move. You can train your dog to do amazing things with treats and a clicker and some time. What you'll never have is a dog who respects you, because dogs just aren't capable of that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
wow I just read that dog breed info link... I'm appalled that there are still people out there that think alpha domination has ANY thing to do with dog training.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
So I have been doing a ton of researching figuring out what kind of training is necessary for a puppy. Im finding out which command should be taught first, like you are supposed to teach your puppy the sit command before you train your puppy to stay. They say to do it this way because when you tell you puppy to stay, the dog will 95% of the time sit while the puppy stays.
Hm..m...m. Maybe. Actually what you want to teach your puppy early on is a "wait behavior" - which I think is what you mean by "stay". A lot of people do teach the sit position at the same time - and that's fine for most dogs. Just keep in mind that some breeds/individuals are uncomfortable in a sit. So for them, you might want to teach them to wait/stay in a stand or a down position at first.

Some people want an automatic position for the wait/stay - some people want to cue the position.

What surprised me the most is that you are supposed to walk your dog a certain way, so your dog learns that you are in charge not him/her. They call it the Heel command. And I read that it is an advanced training command so not a lot of people do it.
The way you are supposed to walk your dog is called loose-leash walking (LLW) or sometimes called pet walking. Every dog should be taught that. You are correct that heeling is a more advance skill - perhaps too advanced for many young puppies to comprehend.

Try to get away from this dominance way of thinking.

Also one important thing I learned is that the day you get your dog is the day you are supposed to start training. Do not wait until the dog is older. Like if I get my dog at 4 months. I'm not supposed to wait until the dog is like 6 months. I start training the day I get the puppy. I did not know that.

True -but just remember that puppies are like small children. Some behaviors are simply beyond their capabilities.

One thing that you didn't mention that is very important with a puppy is called Nothing In Life Is Free or NILIF. You should start that as soon as you get your puppy home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks for the insight. Im glad I mentioned this. I will check out those training websites.

And your right. It isnt just about sit/stay. Its follow, dont start eating until the food bowl is down, etc., etc.

I have a lot to look up this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You might also check out the two free downloads: dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

@SirviRavenWind - Brief hijack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8HFdPMsiM [The trainer is a Psychology Prof.]
I agree that most training is 'Pavlovian.' But, I believe that with time and training, some dogs will move from behavioral learning to cognitive learning. Chaser is one notable example, and there are other cognitive dog training research activities being explored. In fact, I think that some advanced clicker training might be a cognitive method from the dog's perspective, altho initial training is behavioral. However, this is completely off-topic from the original post ... hijack-off :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts