Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came here because I need some help. My dog is possessed by snow demons. Let me explain.

At any point where there is no snow on the ground, I have a (reasonably) well behaved 13mo old Border Collie/Rott mix. Well, she's well behaved as long as I give her 12-13 days of exercise each hour. We make it work.

She'll sit, stay (even when treats are thrown), come, and can be (mostly) verbally recalled when chasing other dogs, squirrels, birds, etc. She never wanders more than about 50 yards from me, and can be walked off-leash without incident. She stays out of the road, and will sit down before crossing a street. She'll execute all these commands at the dog park as well, so she's gotten pretty good with the distraction training.

We're still working on not being so mouthy on people's hands (it's gotten better) and separation anxiety, but we're making progress.

Until it snows. When there's snow on the ground... I'll just post the command and how she interprets it.

Come | Run circles around my human in a clockwise direction.
Stay | Chase something
Sit | I'm going to bite your hand
Stop | Chase a car
Jump | I'm going to run circles around my human in a counter-clockwise direction

She suddenly loses all food motivation, and becomes impossible to control.

As soon as the snow melts, she's right back to obedient.

How the Hell do I solve this problem?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Leash her in the presence of snow. She doesn't get the freedom of being off leash when she isn't reliable off leash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How the Hell do I solve this problem?
Move to Florida. ;)

See if you can find a place like a parking lot that's plowed and start getting closer to the snow while rewarding like you're a pez dispenser. If you start getting the behaviour, back up a bit.

Slowly desensitize him to the snow this way. It may take more than one winter to achieve.

Az

1 - 3 of 3 Posts