Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm gonna give this dog up for adoption!!! (not really. like, ever. but it feels good to say that to myself rofl)

SO. ANOTHER freaking potty thread AND chewing thread. Cuz. Newb issues.

A. 9 month old Chihuahua female, spayed (if that matters). I've posted about her before. I STILL have the same darn issue. She won't potty train. Period.

I have:
1. Had her tethered to me for days straight and kenneled when unable.
2. Covered her entire pen in pads, so she CAN'T have an accident and prais the jebus out of her. Then slowly reduce the pads... she'll just pee and poo where the pads used to be.
3. Controlled her feeding to twice a day and kennel her for about an hour ish (how long she usually takes to poo after eating). Then I upped it to three cuz she got really low blood sugar, and then STILL got low blood sugar, so I CAN'T control her feedings. She HAS to free feed all day or her sugar level drops.
4. I reproach when I CATCH her doing it somewhere she's not supposed to. If I didn't catch her at the moment, nothing is done except clean it up.

So far, NONE of that has worked. She's even peed and pooped ON ME. On my bed. Anywhere she's standing. Every. Where. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea how to correct this. Her pen is large, I mean she's only 1lb, so any space is large for her (which is also a problem because she goes in her kennel too since she has enough space to stay away from it), but I don't like having her in there 24/7. But I also don't have time to follow her around -ALL- the time with a mop to clean up her messes x.x; WHAT CAN I DO?!?!!?

B. 2 month old Chihuahua.

I understand this is normal, for chewing puppies. But I've had it! I have bought -dozens- of toys. Give HOURS of play and exercise time. Reproach only if I catch him doing it. But STILL, when it's time for kennel or pen, he HAS to chew the pads during the night. Its not like he doesnt have toys, or exercise... but he still loves to chew the darn thing x.x;

He's also not potty trained at all, but at 2 months old I really don't expect him to be. Though I really don't understand why he poops INSIDE his food bowl... while there's food. And then just EATS it WITH his food......

ALSO

The two rascals NEVER do any of the mentioned above when I'm around. JaSlyn poos and pees on her pad in the pen, and if she's supervised (by supervised I mean EYES ON HER, not like, Im there watching TV) she goes straight to her pen to pee and poo. and Stuart (2 month old) NEVER chews the pad when I'm there, or poops in his food. This all usually happens during the night / while I'm out in college.

Could this be separation anxiety? Or is it that because of my timed reproaches, which aren't violent by the way, usually it's a clap and firm NO (no screaming) and the redirect (like, put JaSlyn in a pad or give Stuart a chewing toy), that they KNOW they're not supposed to? o_O

I would really like to watch TV, have my dogs in the family room relaxed without having to worry about fetching for the mop in a couple of seconds x.x;

·
Registered
693 Posts
Have you taken the 9mo to the vet to be checked out? Is she on meds for her low sugar?

Accidents are part of having a puppy. Charlie is 3mo and yesterday was one of those "fetch the towels" day. BUT it was my fault because i gave her too much water. 1-2 accidents I understand because we are still learning each other, weve only had her a week, but yesterday wasnt her fault.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm gonna give this dog up for adoption!!! (not really. like, ever. but it feels good to say that to myself rofl)

SO. ANOTHER freaking potty thread AND chewing thread. Cuz. Newb issues.

A. 9 month old Chihuahua female, spayed (if that matters). I've posted about her before. I STILL have the same darn issue. She won't potty train. Period.

I have:
1. Had her tethered to me for days straight and kenneled when unable.
2. Covered her entire pen in pads, so she CAN'T have an accident and prais the jebus out of her. Then slowly reduce the pads... she'll just pee and poo where the pads used to be.
3. Controlled her feeding to twice a day and kennel her for about an hour ish (how long she usually takes to poo after eating). Then I upped it to three cuz she got really low blood sugar, and then STILL got low blood sugar, so I CAN'T control her feedings. She HAS to free feed all day or her sugar level drops.
4. I reproach when I CATCH her doing it somewhere she's not supposed to. If I didn't catch her at the moment, nothing is done except clean it up.

So far, NONE of that has worked. She's even peed and pooped ON ME. On my bed. Anywhere she's standing. Every. Where. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea how to correct this. Her pen is large, I mean she's only 1lb, so any space is large for her (which is also a problem because she goes in her kennel too since she has enough space to stay away from it), but I don't like having her in there 24/7. But I also don't have time to follow her around -ALL- the time with a mop to clean up her messes x.x; WHAT CAN I DO?!?!!?

B. 2 month old Chihuahua.

I understand this is normal, for chewing puppies. But I've had it! I have bought -dozens- of toys. Give HOURS of play and exercise time. Reproach only if I catch him doing it. But STILL, when it's time for kennel or pen, he HAS to chew the pads during the night. Its not like he doesnt have toys, or exercise... but he still loves to chew the darn thing x.x;

He's also not potty trained at all, but at 2 months old I really don't expect him to be. Though I really don't understand why he poops INSIDE his food bowl... while there's food. And then just EATS it WITH his food......

ALSO

The two rascals NEVER do any of the mentioned above when I'm around. JaSlyn poos and pees on her pad in the pen, and if she's supervised (by supervised I mean EYES ON HER, not like, Im there watching TV) she goes straight to her pen to pee and poo. and Stuart (2 month old) NEVER chews the pad when I'm there, or poops in his food. This all usually happens during the night / while I'm out in college.

Could this be separation anxiety? Or is it that because of my timed reproaches, which aren't violent by the way, usually it's a clap and firm NO (no screaming) and the redirect (like, put JaSlyn in a pad or give Stuart a chewing toy), that they KNOW they're not supposed to? o_O

I would really like to watch TV, have my dogs in the family room relaxed without having to worry about fetching for the mop in a couple of seconds x.x;
Need to type more on my computer, questions I have for you:

1. What happened when you tethered her... When did she go, where, how long did you tether before you have up

2. Does she have any consistency as far as how many times a day/approx intervals/time periods she pees and poops?

3. Have you mentioned this to your vet (both poop and pee)

4. When she pees is she dribbling, going all at once, ect.

5. Above for pooping. All at once, falling out of her when she sleeps, small nuggets every hour, ect.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you taken the 9mo to the vet to be checked out? Is she on meds for her low sugar?

Accidents are part of having a puppy. Charlie is 3mo and yesterday was one of those "fetch the towels" day. BUT it was my fault because i gave her too much water. 1-2 accidents I understand because we are still learning each other, weve only had her a week, but yesterday wasnt her fault.
She's been to the vet, no infections or anything :c And no medication for her blood sugar, during tests she's perfectly fine, just needs to eat more regularly than three times a day and I'm not available for all that time to feed her more than 3 times a day.

And yeah I get accidents, but she doesn't have accidents, she simply goes, wherever she pleases x.x;

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Need to type more on my computer, questions I have for you:

1. What happened when you tethered her... When did she go, where, how long did you tether before you have up

2. Does she have any consistency as far as how many times a day/approx intervals/time periods she pees and poops?

3. Have you mentioned this to your vet (both poop and pee)

4. When she pees is she dribbling, going all at once, ect.

5. Above for pooping. All at once, falling out of her when she sleeps, small nuggets every hour, ect.
1. She went pretty much any time she needed to, right beside me, or far away, just pretty much where she was standing, she'd go in her bed too if she was on it. (Both pee and poo, and woudln't have any problem at all sleeping on it right after). I had he tethered for about a week and a half before I gave up. It was usually tethered to me 24/7 unless I was cooking, showering, eating or sleeping. I took summer as an opportunity to do this, since I had no class or summer job or anything, home literally all day every day.

2. Well I honestly haven't noticed how often she goes. Seems to be pretty rare though, like maybe once or twice for poop and a few during the day and night pees.

3. I have! She isn't worried at all about any health issues, with her having been to the vet pretty much every month of her life for her skin condition, she's been evaluated a lot and has a clean bill of health.

4. Going all at once.

5. She goes all at once in the morning, and small nuggets at night.

Also, super important
Stuart is NOT my dog. I take care of him while my mother comes to get him on the 18th of Sept. She just found out he eats his own poop (he will literally poop in his food bowl and eat it with his own food) and she was so disgusted she DEMANDED that if he do it again, I sell him :\ I personally would NEVER EVER EEEEEVER do this, some of you know the head aches I've had with my own problematic pooch, but I have no say in his life :\ I even told him I'd keep him and she will not have it (the house I stay in is hers, so it's not like I can keep him here without her consent) Won't have him in the house at all if he eats his poop, how in the world can I stop this? He has play time, plenty of exercise, good quality kibble too. x.x Oh gosh.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
1. She went pretty much any time she needed to, right beside me, or far away, just pretty much where she was standing, she'd go in her bed too if she was on it. (Both pee and poo, and woudln't have any problem at all sleeping on it right after). I had he tethered for about a week and a half before I gave up. It was usually tethered to me 24/7 unless I was cooking, showering, eating or sleeping. I took summer as an opportunity to do this, since I had no class or summer job or anything, home literally all day every day.

2. Well I honestly haven't noticed how often she goes. Seems to be pretty rare though, like maybe once or twice for poop and a few during the day and night pees.

3. I have! She isn't worried at all about any health issues, with her having been to the vet pretty much every month of her life for her skin condition, she's been evaluated a lot and has a clean bill of health.

4. Going all at once.

5. She goes all at once in the morning, and small nuggets at night.

Also, super important
Stuart is NOT my dog. I take care of him while my mother comes to get him on the 18th of Sept. She just found out he eats his own poop (he will literally poop in his food bowl and eat it with his own food) and she was so disgusted she DEMANDED that if he do it again, I sell him :\ I personally would NEVER EVER EEEEEVER do this, some of you know the head aches I've had with my own problematic pooch, but I have no say in his life :\ I even told him I'd keep him and she will not have it (the house I stay in is hers, so it's not like I can keep him here without her consent) Won't have him in the house at all if he eats his poop, how in the world can I stop this? He has play time, plenty of exercise, good quality kibble too. x.x Oh gosh.
(Short because I'm typing on a tiny screen)

What are you using to clean floors/surfaces with when she goes, what are you using to wash linens she has gone on?

I would try recording my previous question 2 for a few days with times. This is what I had to do with grey to get good at predicting the times she was going to go, then was able to watch extra carefully (or honestly just stay outside/plan walks for that time) and then wAs able to catch her going in the right place and reward her, and then it was easier to fix the unpredictable times because she had a baseline for what behavior I did want, if that makes sense.

Also for other dog, google pineapple/poop enzyme diet additives. Cophragia is a lot easier to fix when it's the dog eating their own poop, for that reason.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(Short because I'm typing on a tiny screen)

What are you using to clean floors/surfaces with when she goes, what are you using to wash linens she has gone on?

I would try recording my previous question 2 for a few days with times. This is what I had to do with grey to get good at predicting the times she was going to go, then was able to watch extra carefully (or honestly just stay outside/plan walks for that time) and then wAs able to catch her going in the right place and reward her, and then it was easier to fix the unpredictable times because she had a baseline for what behavior I did want, if that makes sense.

Also for other dog, google pineapple/poop enzyme diet additives. Cophragia is a lot easier to fix when it's the dog eating their own poop, for that reason.
I'm gonna record it! Great idea. Predicting it before it happens to set her up for success.

I'll google the pinapple/poop enzyme! Thanks, it really irks me that I'm the only passionate one in my family, but with a promise that there's a way to work around it (even if it's not 100% gone) she calmed down.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm gonna record it! Great idea. Predicting it before it happens to set her up for success.

I'll google the pinapple/poop enzyme! Thanks, it really irks me that I'm the only passionate one in my family, but with a promise that there's a way to work around it (even if it's not 100% gone) she calmed down.
Keep us updated! Small health problem dogs are tricky. Fix one thing and it causes another thing to fall off. Have so many of your stories with grey... Actual sod in our living room from Home Depot when she couldn't go outside for days because of the pollen. A few weeks ago when she had about $500 in strange absurd reactions to a Bordatella booster that we only got because her spine couldn't handle kennel cough. Or last night when she woke me up four times in the middle of the night to go potty because her tummy was upset over (????? Who knows?) and then pooped on the bathmat while I was typing my first reply to you.

Cry first then laugh. It only gets sort of better :p and somehow I still wouldn't trade her for the world. But don't ask me that when I'm trying to quarter an already insanely tiny tablet of famotidine by the light of my phone at 5am.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep us updated! Small health problem dogs are tricky. Fix one thing and it causes another thing to fall off. Have so many of your stories with grey... Actual sod in our living room from Home Depot when she couldn't go outside for days because of the pollen. A few weeks ago when she had about $500 in strange absurd reactions to a Bordatella booster that we only got because her spine couldn't handle kennel cough. Or last night when she woke me up four times in the middle of the night to go potty because her tummy was upset over (????? Who knows?) and then pooped on the bathmat while I was typing my first reply to you.

Cry first then laugh. It only gets sort of better :p and somehow I still wouldn't trade her for the world. But don't ask me that when I'm trying to quarter an already insanely tiny tablet of famotidine by the light of my phone at 5am.

Oh gosh yeah xD I'm STILL waiting on the biopsy reports! All of that sounds insane! I'd pull my hair out already xD I sometimes have no clue how people like us do it rofl We REALLY must be crazy :B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts