Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I shouldn't get frustrated or mad when training my dog, however she doesn't seem to be learning. I live in a town house, and would like to be able to take her outside to play fetch, but when outside she doesn't listen to me at all. She runs everywhere, including into the parking lot. I have tried the "come" command, "no", and even bribing her with cookies. I have also tried tie outs to teach her to stick around. She listens well in the house, coming when I call her, sitting, staying, etc. I have another dog, 13 yrs old, who listens well and sticks around without being told. I was hoping she would be a model , but she hasn't. How can I teacher to stay with me outside, but at the same time have freedom to play catch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
She's not ready to be loose outside - you don't want her to get hurt! Get a long lead at Petsmart or Petco. You can get them in 15 or 30 feet lengths, I believe. I have a 15 ft. one - it depends on the amount of space you have to let her run around in. Let her play fetch while attached to the lead, so that you can require her to return to you. Have plenty of high value treats (tiny pieces of hotdog or boiled chicken often do the trick) to reward her with. At first, you will probably have to slowly reel her in to make her come, but when she gets to you, treat, so that she comes to learn that good things come her way when she comes to you. Make a big deal out of praising her for coming to you every time. Eventually, she'll start coming on her own. Keep treating for awhile everytime you get the desired response, then eventually, start slowing weaning her away from the treat reward and over to just the the verbal reward.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I know I shouldn't get frustrated or mad when training my dog, however she doesn't seem to be learning. I live in a town house, and would like to be able to take her outside to play fetch, but when outside she doesn't listen to me at all. She runs everywhere, including into the parking lot. I have tried the "come" command, "no", and even bribing her with cookies. I have also tried tie outs to teach her to stick around. She listens well in the house, coming when I call her, sitting, staying, etc. I have another dog, 13 yrs old, who listens well and sticks around without being told. I was hoping she would be a model , but she hasn't. How can I teacher to stay with me outside, but at the same time have freedom to play catch?

Thanks.
Cut out the bribery - you don't want the cookie to be part of the cue to return to you. You just want your "come" to be it. Saying "no" won't matter either if she doesn't know what that means or what she should be doing instead (so it doesn't work as a redirection either). In addition to working on her recall, work on her attention and focus on you as well. Does she walk well with you off leash? If not, I'd work on that (in a fenced area, or even in the house at first). In order for her to play a game with you, she has to be able to focus on you, the task at hand, and perform the behaviors with the distractions of smells, sounds, wind, prey animals, other dogs, cats, other people, fresh air, etc.

Be patient, take it slow, and practice often with highly rewarding items (tasty/smelly foods, and TINY so that a) she won't gain weight and b) you get more bang for your food). Keep it easy and stay upbeat and calm. Sounds like this will be a bit of a challenge for her. Recognize that and help her understand the process.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Not all dogs are reliable off leash. If I let kabota off leash, that's the last I'd see of him.

Anyway, though, it takes months to train dogs. Dogs don't generalize, so sit doesn't mean anything outside, especially if you didn't firm it up completely inside (like 300 successful repetitions).
It took 2months to train kabota reliably on sit inside, then he just stared at me when I said it outside. Outside took another month, and we're not 100% on that yet.

For now, use a 15-30 foot training lead and look up kikopup on YouTube for training suggestions.

Look up kikopup on

·
Registered
703 Posts
We use a long lead, but have increased our recall reliability dramatically by taking high-value treats all over the house and yard, and saying "come!" I also have a click sound that one of my dogs reliably responds to.

In the beginning, one of my dogs would not respond. I just kept at it (I mean like 20-50 times a day) and in 2 weeks, they both had it. It became a fun game where I would hide, go to different places...I even got in the back of the pick-up! They found me every time. Sometimes my husband would go to one place, and I another, our son a third, and we'd take turns.

But I still can't count on them to return at the park. There are other dogs, kids, soccer balls, discarded food, etc. Too much other interesting stuff (for now).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help guys! Also she lived the first 4 months of her life on a farm, where they let her run through the corn fields and bush, without much supervision. Does the mean it will take a bit longer than usual to get her to listen. She is 1 yrs old now.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It will take some time, but that is due to age, as well as early experience. The good thing about an older dog is that they'll pick up what you want a little faster... PLan on taking a couple of months, and be overjoyed if she learns in only a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
We use a long lead, but have increased our recall reliability dramatically by taking high-value treats all over the house and yard, and saying "come!" I also have a click sound that one of my dogs reliably responds to.

In the beginning, one of my dogs would not respond. I just kept at it (I mean like 20-50 times a day) and in 2 weeks, they both had it. It became a fun game where I would hide, go to different places...I even got in the back of the pick-up! They found me every time. Sometimes my husband would go to one place, and I another, our son a third, and we'd take turns.

But I still can't count on them to return at the park. There are other dogs, kids, soccer balls, discarded food, etc. Too much other interesting stuff (for now).
I do this too with mine. I'm lucky enough to live on a huge ranch so my if my dogs wonder it's not a huge deal because they aren't going to hit someone else's property) I also had a young dog.... Still do they is a bit of a wonderer & at times needs to be reminded that it's a no-no, to train her OH (who she has chosen as her person) uses play as her reward.

I also use time outs & losses of privileges when she wonders off outside where we want her to stay & it took lots & lots of reps of that, but everyone has their own way & one way isn't the best for every dog, just play around with it & see which way fits bet for you guys.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Work on the training on leash, and not just 'come' but sit, down, walk politely on leash, anything else you're working on. Go for leashed walks and work on giving her treats for coming back to you on a six foot leash on a walk. Then move to the longer leash, same thing, let her explore with the leash on and call her often, give a treat and praise, then let her go off again. Then take her to a safe place she can be 'off leash' and leave the long line on, and do the same thing.

You want her to learn that 'come' means you are going to reward her for doing so but not stop the fun - if each time she comes you put the leash on and take her back into the house, she's not going to want that.

You can also get a friend to help play 'hide and seek, you hold her leash and have your friend take a treat and call her, when she gets there she gets the treat and that person gets the leash, and then you call your pup back to you. Once she gets the idea, start hiding in really easy spots, like let the dog watch you walk behind a tree, then call her to come find you. Graduate to the dog not seeing where you went and you hiding in harder spots (up in a tree, in heavy bushes) back and forth, so when she does get off leash time down the road and is a bit far off, she's going to have the 'human finding skills' to come seek you out and track you down. I do this on off leash walks, I'll just walk off the path 20 feet and sit down in the bushes and not call the dogs, they'll race back past on the path, then back again, then stop running and start tracking and come find me.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You can also get a friend to help play 'hide and seek, you hold her leash and have your friend take a treat and call her, when she gets there she gets the treat and that person gets the leash, and then you call your pup back to you. Once she gets the idea, start hiding in really easy spots, like let the dog watch you walk behind a tree, then call her to come find you. Graduate to the dog not seeing where you went and you hiding in harder spots (up in a tree, in heavy bushes) back and forth, so when she does get off leash time down the road and is a bit far off, she's going to have the 'human finding skills' to come seek you out and track you down. I do this on off leash walks, I'll just walk off the path 20 feet and sit down in the bushes and not call the dogs, they'll race back past on the path, then back again, then stop running and start tracking and come find me.

I love playing this type of game with Wally. I "sneak off" some place where I can see him, but he doesn't know where I went. Then he's like "whoa, where'd he go?" And he goes to places were we often walk trying to see me. It's interesting to watch him search for me. There's clearly some pattern to it in his mind and I get to watch it play out. I don't know if he was tracking me (he's not really a tracking dog it seems, sadly, granted, I probably suck at teaching it as well) but I saw him put his nose down at one point then run in a direction for a bit then stop. Maybe he thought he caught some of my scent. Usually, though, he seems to go by landmarks and familiar paths to search for me. Really interesting how much he goes by sight instead of scent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glanced through quick so if I repeat sorry! Great advise take it all in only thing I can add is if dog heard a word "cue" many times without any consequence it would become irrelevant to dog ...so think about that you might have to change a word "cue" or two and see dog respond quicker.

Also someone mentioned focus work that is very important also with the name game....every time dog checks in to you treat praise. That is everyone dog looks into your eyes not treat bag :) .....and as everyone said good things come from being with you. Takes time..... All dogs are different some just are breed from great bloodlines and stick with you.....and some need a lot of work :)

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts