Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday my wife and i noticed that noel's breath REEKED... and when i say reeked, i mean we were both on the verge of puking when we smelled it...

so it was that way all night... well, this is brand new to us... she's had regular dog breath up until now, which isnt great, but its dog breath...

so a few minutes ago, i walk outside, and lo and behold, im disgusted to say, i catch her eating her own poop! shes eating her own poop and its making her breath smell absolutely revolting... i mean seriously, i cant even describe how disgusted i am right now... this can not go on! i cant live the whole dogs life with her breath always making me gag because it smells like straight crap... how can i stop this immediately (short of following her around with a plastic bag for the rest of her life)?!

ive never said this and meant it more with any questions in the past then i mean it now: HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
If you do a search on the forum, you'll come up with plenty of posts about this issue.

A few thoughts:

You could go to the vet for a check up. Parasites can cause a dog to eat feces because the parasites are stealing the dog's nutrients from its food, making the dog feel hungrier than usual.

Sometimes a poor or inappropriate diet is the culprit when a dog won't let up on eating feces. There are additives you can put in his food that will make her waste smell/taste bad, too, although I have heard mixed reviews about these.

OCD-type dogs have been known to eat feces as an attempt to clean up an area that they feel is too full of them. One of my own dogs will only relieve himself in a particular corner of the yard. If it is already occupied by an old poop, he will hold it until I clean things up. I haven't tested how long he'll hold it, but I suspect he would let himself explode before he considered pooping elsewhere. He is a creature of habit. Anyway, cleaning up immediately after your dog has relieved herself will not only prevent the yard from getting crowded, it will also eliminate the chance for your pup to eat anything gross.

It could be that your dog is bored or lonely, too, and that eating feces is what she has decided to do to amuse himself. Maybe she's not getting enough exercise for her crazy puppy self? Or maybe she needs some more mental stimulation.

I think that usually, especially in the case of a puppy, poop eating is just a bad habit that dogs can get into. If this turns out to be the case, teach her the command "leave it" and don't let her out in the yard unless you can go with her to supervise. Watch for her to relieve herself, then get over and immediately pick up the results. If it isn't there, she can't eat it.

Poop...eeewww!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay... thanks for the response...

she cant really be hungry, but we'll up the portions a little bit just to see if that helps... she's 5 months right now and she's been getting 3/1/2 cups of food per day so far... and we get her the good stuff too, she eats blue buffalo, freakin expensive... plus she's been getting Nuvet (daily vitamin at $80 bucks a bottle), and then whatever other treats she gets throughout the day (cheese, doggy biscuits, canine carry outs, etc.)... so i cant imagine it being hunger...

she just had her final vet visit with shots like 3 weeks ago, and she was fine at that point in time as far as parasites go, but i guess that doesnt mean it couldnt have happened since then...

she gets plenty of exercise usually... the only time she's lonely or bored is when the wife and i are both at work, which is usually on 1-2 days a week... we try to work the schedule so we're with her most of the time...

im still kind of at a loss as to whats causing it... cause its just suddenly out of the blue that she started doing it... and not to sound selfish or like a bad owner, but i really dont plan on following the dog out back everytime she goes out for the rest of her life to pick up her poop right away... we pick it up about twice a week, but i cant live with scooping her up immediately... she's a big dog that likes to be outside, so i cant keep her cooped up inside either...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Some have had success with feeding the dog pineapple. I don't recall what it is in the pineapple but it apparently makes the stool taste bad so the dog is less likely to eat it.

You might also consider a different food. I realize you are already feeding a higher end kibble, but I've seen posts from others here who have switched from one premium kibble to another and eating stool has stopped (or in some cases started).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some have had success with feeding the dog pineapple. I don't recall what it is in the pineapple but it apparently makes the stool taste bad so the dog is less likely to eat it.

You might also consider a different food. I realize you are already feeding a higher end kibble, but I've seen posts from others here who have switched from one premium kibble to another and eating stool has stopped (or in some cases started).
we just got her started on blue buffalo about a month and a half to two months ago... you think we should give it some more time before considering that option?

pineapple? really? you would think that would make the pooop, ummm, tastier... thats the darndest thing...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I got this and it worked for my girls. They no longer eat poop. Betty used to do the same when I had her, and it worked wonders with her. She no longer touched poo. I got the extra strength powder one and just sprinkled the proper amount on their kibble or raw food.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19133

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is it just his own feces? Why wouldn't you just pick it up as it is created? I always clean up after my dog right after the deed is done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of my dogs did this....and I know what you mean by disgusting. We never got the chance to figure it out. I don't know how true this is, but someone told me that the food she was eating may not be being completely digesting. So she was missing things she needed and therefore went back to eat it. Like I said, don't know if there is any truth to it. I also heard about the pineapple, but neither dog would eat it. If there are two dogs you have to treat both of them with whatever....pineapple, stuff you sprinkle on food..etc.

You did say you just changed their food. She may not be getting what she needs from the new food. Even though it is one of the better foods, doesn't mean it is the right food for that dog. See what is different between this food and the one she was on before. Maybe even just a different food with the same company would be better. Just saying if this is something you just noticed.

With mine, she was the dog who was affectionate and always wanted to give kisses. So, I tried to watch her when she was out. But like you said, the breath was a definite give away.

I do wish you lots of luck with this one....Tricia

(Something I just noticed....it seems the people in this post that are saying their dogs do this are talking about female dogs. My male dog never did this. Just wondering if there may be something behind that. )

·
Registered
11 Posts
With horses, sometimes you'll see them eat their own manure, or dirt. Like others here have mentioned, usually it's a deficiency of some sort. For horses, we often provide them with a mineral lick. I'm not sure if they have anything like this for doggies or not.

Just some food for thought :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 9 week old puppy does this. She poops and immediately turns around to eat it. I read that when born the mother cleans up around and the puppies take on that habit.

I try to get it picked up as soon as I can without scaring the puppy into thinking she did something wrong. She needs to feel safe at just doing the pooping. So by the time I get to it she has scarfed a bit down. Hopefully she will get over it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts