Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was awakened at 5:30 this morning by Missy, my foster, whining in her crate. I got up and let her out to pee. This is not the problem. She had a pee emergency and was good to let me know.

The problem was that when I went back to bed, which I share with my forever-dog, Reggie, I found out that there was a big, cold, wet spot on the sheets next to my head. I tried to think of every possible explanation for this other than her peeing in the bed. :eek: She has been housebroken with no accidents for months. She has never, EVER, peed in the bed, and on the rare occasion that she needs to go out during the night, she usually wakes me up by whining at the door. Once she had a stomach bug and had a nighttime emergency, but she left the bed and ran into the other room first. There are no major changes going on in our lives right now.

I am confused and concerned (and frustrated about my mattress). Is this a behavior problem, or should I be worried about health issues? Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Where you outside with your foster, so Reggie couldn't tell you? Sometimes, when dogs wake up, they feel an immediate need to pee, so if your foster woke you (and Reggie) up, and then you left to take Reggie out, maybe he didn't have time to tell you.

How old is your dog, Reggie?
If this is a random incident, and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry. Clean your mattress with an enzymatic cleaner, very well!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If reggie is spayed, it could be spay incontinence. If older, just regular incontinence. Or begining of a UTI. Get a vet check if it happens again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting ideas. I will keep an eye out for further incidents.

Reggie is just 10 months old. It's not inconceivable that she just had a regular old accident. Or maybe I was sleeping harder than normal and missed her request to go out. Now that the mattress is cleaned and I've had a little time to recover from my initial shock and confusion, this doesn't seem too major. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have 3 dogs and if one wakes up in the middle of the night, I just take all of them out, because I could see my oldest doing this and she doesn't have any medical issues, she is just being her

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Are you sure it was urine? Usually if there is a disgusting wet spot where my dogs were, it's saliva from licking.
Yeah, this. Penny does it all the time, and usually on my pillow :mad:. Did it smell like pee? If not, probably drool.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Are you sure it was urine? Usually if there is a disgusting wet spot where my dogs were, it's saliva from licking.
Yes with the licking! Ugh! My dogs are 2 and 3, and every time I notice a gross wet spot, I think "AH! He/she peed!" But, yeah, it's usually where they were laying and licking.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, right by the head, I'm thinking drooling/licking. My old dog loved to lick fabric. And suck on socks. While they were on my feet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's wonderful advice. We do the same thing, and insist on it. Sometimes one is a little sleepier and doesn't want to go outside, but if you're up, you're going to go outside and 'try.'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think it's drool because Reggie doesn't drool or lick much and the wet spot was large and circular. That would be about as uncharacteristic as peeing would be. The spot didn't necessarily look or smell like pee, adding to my confusion. But I was describing this incident to my mom, who offered another possibility that makes a lot more sense in my world: that the guilty culprit is actually foster-dog Missy.

Missy is probably 80% housebroken, and I don't know her history on bed-wetting (lol). I thought she was inculpable since she had been crated during the night, but the little bandit could have gotten up there the evening before and peed when I wasn't looking. My bed is big, so I may not have noticed the spot until the next morning. Even grosser, but at least it makes sense.

I am going to assume this is what happened. At least until the next incident :/.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, now there's a smoking gun, and it's definitely held by Missy. She is a sleep-pee-er! I woke her up from the couch to go to her crate last night and there was a warm, wet spot under her. She didn't even seem to know anything happened! I'm thinking this must call for vet attention. :(

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah, this. Penny does it all the time, and usually on my pillow :mad:. Did it smell like pee? If not, probably drool.
Another reason my dogs sleep on a bed on the floor or in a crate ..... So they can pick their own bed wet (mine are ranch dogs clean their feet alot) ewwwww!!!! :p. the licking sound is enough to drive me to drink but at least if they rare in their own space incentive get away form it lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts