Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here in a very long time - almost 9 years to be exact. I joined the boards in 2010 when I got Appa, our wheaten terrier. We lost him about a month ago, and I now have a large dog-sized hole in my heart.

Because Appa ended up being very reactive towards people, my 6yo daughter is nervous around medium or larger dogs, but she really wants a puppy - so we are starting to look at small breeds and have pretty much settled on havanese. I've contacted one breeder that seems excellent, but still have to pass the application and meet'n'greet. Also, the kiddo meeting the potential dog parents will solidify whether or not she would be nervous around dogs of this energy level and size. So I'm crossing my fingers on all fronts.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I always recommend adult adoptions/rehomings to people with younger kids, for two reasons - one, you can guarantee you're getting a dog that already has a temperament you like, rather than rolling the dice, and two, because even the best-bred puppies are cute for like three months then shark monsters for like a year, and a year is a VERY LONG TIME in the life of a child.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would normally agree with you except for 2 things.

Rescues here will not adopt out to people with kids under 8.
Humane Society rarely has small breeds and if they do, they are snapped up within minutes - so unless you go down there every single day, you are rarely ever going to see a small breed available.

... I am definitely not looking forward to the landshark phase. Puppy breath yes. Puppy teeth no. LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts