Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

It's been quite awhile since I was active on the forums, life just got the best of me and I disappeared for awhile. For those who don't know me, or don't remember me, my name is Desiree. I live in Kansas and I'm 22 years old, I have a now 6 year old tibetan spaniel mix named Sydney who I simply adore. We've had her in our little family for 4 years now.

My husband and I have recently decided to search for a good Australian Shepherd breeder. I always told myself I would never buy a dog from a breeder, and always adopt or rescue. Well, sometimes these purebred breeds really tug at your heart and you want one so bad! I have looked very deeply into the near by breeders and found one who seems to be very clean, has AKC papers, does genetic testing, the whole nine yards. She just had a little born a few weeks ago and they will be available and ready to go home on March 1st (9 weeks old). She had a total of 5, 3 were blue merle, and 2 were black and white bi. I managed to snag the last available merle female and am just ecstatic to take this little girl home.

I am a first time Aussie owner, and I know there are a TON of Aussie lovers on this forum. Any tips or advice for bringing a new puppy into our home would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. I do intend on becoming involved with the Dog Training Club here in my city, and most importantly, Agility will be in our future.

I am so happy to be back and expect to hear a lot from me!

Desiree

·
Registered
67 Posts
Black and white "bi?" Aussies come in black tri, there has to be some brown. If it's really black and white only, it would be a disqualification in a show and raises some question about the breeder. But having been into aussie rescue for years, I'm an advocate of getting your aussie from a good rescue organization. I know there is one in St Louis.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh I meant lack tri, mistyped. :) I have looked into rescues, though we are pretty firm in a new puppy right now. I also don't plan on showing, but thanks for the tip?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Though I did do some reading on the AKC site and no where did it mention a black bi meant disqualification in the breed's color standard. Unless I missed it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Oooooo another Tibbie owner yay!!!!! Welcome back and congratulations on the new puppy!!!

Here is a link to a site that explains the color genetics of the Aussie: http://www.ashgi.org/color/

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooooo another Tibbie owner yay!!!!! Welcome back and congratulations on the new puppy!!!

Here is a link to a site that explains the color genetics of the Aussie: http://www.ashgi.org/color/
Thank you! From what I'm seeing, black solid and black bi are both standard? That's what I thought. Either way we probably won't show and we have a blue Merle anyways haha and thanks! What is your tibbie crossed with? I can't for the life of my figure out my own!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah aussies come in bicolor quite often. Both black and red bicolor... They can also be solid black or solid red. It's not a disqualification at all.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thank you! From what I'm seeing, black solid and black bi are both standard? That's what I thought. Either way we probably won't show and we have a blue Merle anyways haha and thanks! What is your tibbie crossed with? I can't for the life of my figure out my own!
Truthfully, we're not sure exactly, she originally came from most likely a Puppy Mill situation and the "original" owner purchased her under the assumption she was a purebred Shih Tzu... I'm thinking either poorly but purebred Tibetan or crossed with Toy Spaniel.. Cause seriously does this look like a Shih Tzu to you???

http://s579.beta.photobucket.com/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-10.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-12.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135576107452703881000819035332

http://s579.beta.photobucket.com/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-11.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-11.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135576107452703881000819035332

http://s579.beta.photobucket.com/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-12.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Danes2009/media/temporary-10.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135576107452703881000819035332

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Welcome back and congrats on the new puppy. Indeed black bi is not a DQ per AKC standard, don't know about with other standards (but highly doubt it). You are more likely to see certain colors in the show ring than others but that doesn't mean those others are a DQ just less popular in the AKC ring at least.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not one bit Shih to me haha, she is definitely adorable though and has a lot of the same features of my own. I love her color!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome back and congrats on the new puppy. Indeed black bi is not a DQ per AKC standard, don't know about with other standards (but highly doubt it). You are more likely to see certain colors in the show ring than others but that doesn't mean those others are a DQ just less popular in the AKC ring at least.
Thanks! We are excited. I always told myself I'd never buy from a breeder, but if I ever were to.. I would do a lot of research. I am optimistic about this puppy, and I've always wanted to own an Aussie. I don't have plans to show, but I have looked into doing some Agility with the training club here in my city!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You sound like you are fully prepared for the energy level! I would start loading up on interactive toys (puzzles, treat balls, etc.) I think it is good for any dog, but necessary for any and all high energy dogs! I would also investigate doggy daycare for socialization and to make her tired when you can't (being sick, working, etc.) I am a firm believer in daycare because I have seen first hand how much it helps!

Can't wait to watch her grow! Is she red or blue merle? What names do you have picked out? :)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You sound like you are fully prepared for the energy level! I would start loading up on interactive toys (puzzles, treat balls, etc.) I think it is good for any dog, but necessary for any and all high energy dogs! I would also investigate doggy daycare for socialization and to make her tired when you can't (being sick, working, etc.) I am a firm believer in daycare because I have seen first hand how much it helps!

Can't wait to watch her grow! Is she red or blue merle? What names do you have picked out? :)
Thank you! Yes I definitely want to get into some type of sport. I've worked at two different daycares and had good and bad experiences. I think they are a good thing if the staff have strict policies of who they let in. The last one I worked at, I experienced a dog nearly be killed. He was ripped open by another dog, thankfully there was a hospital in the same building!

She is a beautiful blue Merle with a bit of tan points on her neck. We haven't come up with a name yet. I think my husband is having a hard time with that part because we recently lost our first pregnancy to a miscarriage and we were in the process of thinking of names. We have a month, I'll let ya know and post pictures! I'm going to posts pictures of her currently and of the litter today. :)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went back and looked, and I was right the first time. 3 blue merle and 2 back bi. I'm going to post pictures up of the litter, the mother, and the puppy we're getting now!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Welcome back and Congratulations on the pup!
I have a Blue Merle and White Australian Shephered named Jasper. He is 4 months old, will be 5 months old on Feb 9th. They are great dogs. I would recommend doing competitive games with them. Such as agility, bikejoring, competition obedience, disk, flyball, herding, rally. I am training Jasper in search and rescue right now.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome back and Congratulations on the pup!
I have a Blue Merle and White Australian Shephered named Jasper. He is 4 months old, will be 5 months old on Feb 9th. They are great dogs. I would recommend doing competitive games with them. Such as agility, bikejoring, competition obedience, disk, flyball, herding, rally. I am training Jasper in search and rescue right now.

Jasper is gorgeous! Yes, I definitely want to do a fun sport. I have a friend who has an aussie too, so we're going to do something together, probably agility! Search and Rescue would be an awesome thing to get into, how do you get involved with something like that?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Black and white "bi?" Aussies come in black tri, there has to be some brown. If it's really black and white only, it would be a disqualification in a show and raises some question about the breeder. But having been into aussie rescue for years, I'm an advocate of getting your aussie from a good rescue organization. I know there is one in St Louis.
I don't know where you got your info, but you're mistaken. Pulled from the aussie standard:
All colors are strong, clear and rich. The recognized colors are blue merle, red (liver) merle, solid black, and solid red (liver) all with or without white markings and/or tan (copper) points with no order of preference.

Congrats on your new puppy Syd! :) Cara has definitely made me love the bi colors, I would love to see some picture of your puppies siblings!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts