Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Im a new member. I have a rat/cha.

863 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dogjoh88 
#1 ·
Stella has digestion problems and recently suffered a ruptured anal gland. Vet recommended raw meat diet. I just intro'd her to calves liver and 93% lean ground beef. She looked at me like I was trying to poison her. After several hours I threw it out and started over with very lightly Browning the surface of the liver and made a patty out of the ground beef and tho she was slightly reluctant she ate it so I had the little woo hoo moment. I'm hoping after she gets used to it I won't have to put any heat on it. The burger was completely raw in the middle so I don't think I defeated the purpose too bad.

#2 ·
Some dogs just don't like raw food. Lightly searing the outside of raw food can make it more palatable to a dog who is unsure about the whole thing. Other dogs take right to it. Mine did, although my GSD objects to anything still frozen. ("Waitress! I'd like to complain to the chef!")

One thing you need to do is learn how to balance a raw diet. I fed what is called prey model raw, where the breakdown was 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, and 10% organs (half of which should be liver), if I remember correctly.

Too much liver can cause loose stools. Too much bone can result in hard, difficult to pass stools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.