Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

I'll try this again

919 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TooneyDogs 
#1 ·
I have a four year old beagle he's agressive what would be the right way to correct him?

I've been bit and so has my family I'm not ready to give up but my trainer really is no help

#2 ·
True aggression is quite rare. These are mostly dogs that have zero social skills...almost feral. If this is what you're dealing with, you need the help of a qualified behaviorist.
If you're simply dealing with fear responses with biting, you need to remove the threats. Dogs will bite when they're physically afraid for their safety. Giving a dog a hard look of anger, a stern voice and reaching for the dog all at the same time is the equivalent of pulling out a gun. Those tactics cause huge problems. Teaching dogs to give up items willingly takes time and practice. Physical corrections under those circumstances make the problem worse and destroys trust and confidence.

#3 ·
You pretty much nailed it that'd exactly our main problem is to have him give up what he had in his mouth the thing is though I've been listening to ian dunbar about being nice but as I led him outside for a time out is when he snapped that was tonight where could I find a qualified behavorist?

#4 ·
I'm getting the feeling that the real problem is handling skills....you don't take the dog outside for a time-out/cool down period (YOU leave the room....leaving the dog alone/isolated) and you teach the dog to give things up by playing the object exchange game. These are handling skills that are taught in puppy kindergaten and offerred in most basic obedience or good manners classes.
A behaviorist would be overkill and expensive if that's what's missing here.

#5 ·
You do need professional guidance, you can find qualified trainers and behaviorists here...

www.iaabc.org

www.apdt.com

These do sound like fear responses, HOWEVER there is more work that should be done...

Full tick titre, full Thyroid panel (sent to MSU, NOT inhouse) and a good complete check up that includes testing for Glaucoma and cateracts.

Very often the fear and aggression is the side effect of a dog that's in trouble health wise, dog's try hard not to show pain or illness as a survival skill.

Then, look over that stickies at the top of this forum, there are several that you can modify to fit your needs. They will help in the mean time until you find a professional to help you. In this case I would NOT substitute the stickies for a professional, theyare only patchwork that can save the dogs lfe, because face it, if the dog gives a serious bite it WILL cost the dog it's life.

#6 ·
ok, everything makes sense. could that be why, if i simply try to pet my dog while hes sleeping on the floor and he begins to growl be more of a fear issue? if he does that correcting him would be to leave the room wouldn't that show that hes struck fear into me? one time he even layed next to me and just began to growl out of no where no eye contact or touch when i looked at him he was looking at me. we do play the exchange game thats kind of what resulted in my bite because after a good 10mins i can see he then started to become annoyed somewhat.

i've adopted this dog from my mom she worked around all his agressive behavior, but i believe that just made it worse.

i'll defently go and make an appointment to check up on him, he was over weight when i got him and hes starting to lose some pounds and look a lot healthier but a full check up wouldn't hurt, especially if it will help with his agression.

#7 ·
Dogs that lack confidence...afraid to be petted while sleeping, etc. should never be corrected....that only makes things worse.....they start doing pre-emptive attacks when anyone gets within 3' of their bed. Sometimes it's medical....they're in pain. No matter what it is, you work on the underlying cause...why is he so afraid to be petted/afraid to be moved or disturbed in his sleeping area? Lack of trust, lack of confidence, medical?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.