Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 28 year old guy living in the Southeastern US (South Carolina). I'm just over 6ft. tall and weigh about 185lbs. I live a somewhat active lifestyle, I go walking a few times per day as I would rather be outdoors than indoors, unless it's really cold. I like nature trails as well as city/town walking, so my terrain changes from day to day.

I'm a pretty clean guy and care about my appearance a great deal. I like stylish, modern clothing and well fitted garments. I'm also pretty social when I can be, I don't mind impromptu conversations or chatting with any kind of person and often enjoy that part of spending time in public with my dog.

My work often has me on the road, spending a few hours per day in transit and sometimes a week or more away from home (I would bring the dog).

• I love old movies.
  • I hate 80's hair bands.
  • If I had to choose I'd pick "puffy" Cheetos above "crunchy" ones, but I hate Cheetos.
  • I'll never understand people.
  • I speak mostly in movie quotes, that usually only my friends understand.
  • I have the highest IQ of anyone I know, except my best friend, but I do and say stupid things on a daily basis.
  • The second I get into any department store I completely forget what I'm there for.
  • I love candy more than any kid you'll ever meet. Willy Wonka himself would even think it ridiculous, it's that bad.
  • My hair changes color with the season, naturally.
So, tell me people. What breed?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Are there any breeds that appeal to you? How much grooming are you willing to do?

None of those bullet points have anything useful for deciding which breed is good for you.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Are you sure you're looking for a dog? Because those bullet points would be more helpful for finding a girlfriend....

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Are you sure you're looking for a dog? Because those bullet points would be more helpful for finding a girlfriend....
LOL, that is exactly what I was thinking.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA, no, not looking for a girlfriend. Just trying to show a little of my personality type.

As far as grooming, I don't mind it, I just prefer very minimal shedding, something along the lines of Airedale Terrier, Wire Fox, ect.. But I don't mind clipping/shaping. I know it sounds silly, but every breed appeals to me, I love Australian Cattle Dogs for their loyalty and appearance. I love the look and playfulness of Bearded Collies, I love Poodles for their intelligence.

I just wanted some opinions.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Jack Russell Terrier comes to mind.

Small enough to be under the weight limits that many hotels have, sturdy and active enough to go for walks/jogs/hikes, smart, easy care (sheds but short haired and easy to groom), enough of an "attitude" to "run with the big dogs" so to speak.

If you travel, I would suggest avoiding any of the breeds that are over 50 lbs and/or on the "banned breeds lists" - the 50 lbs is a common weight limit in hotels, banned breeds can be an issue both in hotels and in some cities.

Cattle dogs are probably too high energy for you. a poodle might not be bad if you're not worried about size- clip them short for easy grooming and they're active and outdoorsy actually.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My exact thoughts ... JRT or a Poodle. :D

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A few more dog-specific traits would be helpful. Points to consider...
- Size. When you leave home do you drive or fly (weight will be a big factor for convenience).
- Activity level. How long do you usually spend walking? How much time per day can you devote to exercise/training? Make sure to factor in your long commute, you might not want to head to the dog park after driving for hours.
- Intelligence. Could you handle a dog thats always getting into something or prefer a more mellow dog.
- Sociability. It sounds like you need a very social dog thats friendly and versatile.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Size: I drive (my own car, not company) so size, is among the least of my considerations.
Activity Level: I usually go for multiple walks/jogs per day, about 30mins to an hour each.
Intelligence: I like smart breeds, I'm a good trainer.
Sociability: I like friendly dogs.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
what do you know about dog training and care?

(its probably the best way to determine the right dog for you...figure out what youre prepped to deal with and then go from there)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had dogs since I was a kid, but all of mine have been rescue/adoption so far. I'm pretty experienced in training, and feel as though I work work with any breed. I've done obedience, potty, tricks, ect... So, a cognitive dog wouldn't be a challenge for me, I've even worked at a school for handicapped kids (I found my experience with dogs helpful there, though I can't explain how). I feel the same way about care, I could handle any level, but would prefer minimal shedding due to the dog being in my car a lot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What about a Boxer? If you get a smaller female you probably wouldn't have weight limit problems. They are super adaptable, loyal, energetic when needed, a good guard, basically all around dogs. They don't shed much and just need a bath every so often. Duke loves going in the car. There are a bunch of good breeders around you too and some good rescues. I don't know how strict they are down there about "bully breeds" though. Boxers get thrown in there sometimes since they technically are one.

Duke is rather laid back and those walks would be good for him an then he would be napping in the car.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
How about a lab? A young adult is probably your best bet, still energetic but you won't have to deal with housebreaking with all that travel.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I feel like a well bred Beagle would be a great fit for you. Your likes and dislikes match my bff to a tee and his Beagles are perfect for his lifestyle. They're big enough to withstand rough and tumble play but small enough to be portable. There are pretty much no breed bans on them and when trained they make excellent companions and are very friendly towards strangers. His don't howl often and they are very quick learners. My bff had no experience with dogs when he got his but they made pretty nice starter dogs.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I don't understand with your training experience etc that you would asking for choice/opinions etc. I personally think a standard poodle would work no matter where you moved to as they are not on any banned list, they are active and with the right cut look great. Have enough energy and I never trained one that was not a keeper.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm a pretty clean guy and care about my appearance a great deal. I like stylish, modern clothing and well fitted garments. I'm also pretty social when I can be, I don't mind impromptu conversations or chatting with any kind of person and often enjoy that part of spending time in public with my dog.
  • I love old movies.
  • If I had to choose I'd pick "puffy" Cheetos above "crunchy" ones, but I hate Cheetos.
  • I have the highest IQ of anyone I know, except my best friend, but I do and say stupid things on a daily basis.
  • The second I get into any department store I completely forget what I'm there for.
  • I love candy more than any kid you'll ever meet. Willy Wonka himself would even think it ridiculous, it's that bad.
So, tell me people. What breed?
:crazy:

a pretty one?

I think we need more information. Size preference, do you want to get into any dog sports.... anything wrong with a shelter mutt? Or do you want a purebred this go around.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
  • I love old movies.
    Old yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, both great old dog movies
    Don't worry, dogs don't need them
    They're not particularly great for your dog either, but dogs love the cheese.
    Dogs can be just as much of a mystery sometimes.
    Your dog won't care.
    Me too, get a dumber dog to balance things out
    Make a list next time, you seem like you can do it.
    Some dogs will eat anything, not that candy isn't bad for them.
    Might wanna get that checked out.

My suggestion based on my expert analysis and these obviously pertinent bullet points, adopt a mutt from the shelter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first thought was a Jack Russel, low maintenance, high energy, smart, social, go everywhere dog.
But lots of breeds would suit you as long as you spend enought quality time with them.

I'm a pretty clean guy and care about my appearance a great deal. I like stylish, modern clothing and well fitted garments.
About shedding...
- short hairs (Jack, Dobe, Boxer...) are harder to eliminate with a vacuum cleaner from a rug, or with any type brush from clothing;
- long hairs look messier on the floor and on clothes, but are easier to eliminate;
- the only dogs who really do not shed are the hairless breeds;
- very curly poodle type hair sheds, but the hairs stay in the coat until you brush it out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts