Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shawna joined our family 13 years ago this May. She was the last yellow Lab of the litter and no one wanted her because she was what is called a Duddly Lab. This is a condition where the nose and around the eyes lack pigment so they're pink instead of the customary black. Shawna ran right over and jumped up on me and that was the beginning of a 13 friendship. Shawna was more than a dog to me, she was my best friend, we did everything together, if I went for a walk she came, if I went fishing she came.Heck! If I went for a ride in the car she insisted on going. When she was about 6 months old the vet found that she had Heartworm which surprised me since she had regular vet visits and was always on heartworm medication. The vet suspected she may have had it since she was at the breeders kennel and was clueless why previous blood tests didn't find it. She weathered that battle and it never appeared to slow her down . At two years old she was diagnosed with Diabetes which progressed over the years where she required 2 injections a day to keep it in check. Even with all this it did nothing to slow this dog down. She never met a body of water that she wouldn't jump right in and swim around if given the chance. She would sit right by my chair at night and listen to me rattle on and I swear she understood everything I said! When I was having a bad day she'd come over and just rest her head on my leg and somehow the whole day just seemed better. The last year of Shawna's life she lost most of her eyesight because of the Diabetes and arthritis ravaged her joints but she still was the happiest dog you'd see even with all her problems. I found myself fighting wiith my vet on treatments which I still believe gave her a few more pain free months. Two weeks ago Shawna lost her fight for life and while some would say "she's only a dog" I'm devestated!! I still miss her terribly and I'm hoping the pain goes away soon. It's like I lost one of my kids which I'm sure sounds strange to a few but that's the way it is. I'm hoping Shawa is in a better place now and hopefully I'll see her again someday. Sorry for rattleing on for so long.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm very sorry :(
No, it's never "just a dog". Shawna was obviously a very loved, & very large part of your life for many years, thru thick & thin, & you will always miss her. But gradually, the pain you feel now will be replaced with the many happy memories you'll always have.
My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss over Shawna. It is so sad and devastating to loose a member of the family. What makes it so hard you were with him all the time.People can say all they want but our baby's were just as important as a human being. More so like your precious Shawna.
I to have lost my sweet baby Hank. It was 2 weeks ago. We had him for 9yrs.I cry everyday.I want to move from this house because I see him in every room. Just went outside and looked at his favorite places that he went. As your Shawna he had a lot of health problems..if he had belonged to someone else they would have put him down years ago. We had a few dogs but Hank was so love able..never had that. He was springer spaniel/golden retriever.If I sat down on the grass or the floor in the house he would come and sit on my lap. He loved hugs. Well I could go on and on...but the house is so lonely and silent. We had to put him to sleep. and we weren't happy on how they handled it..wouldn't allow us to go in with him and hold him while he took his last breath. Well I feel for you. It does get better but you will never forget her. Try to stay busy. Hugs Hanks Mom Sally
Sallys blog...www.chicroses-chicroses.blogspot.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts