Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article might really help you. I found it at 11 pm on my puppy's third day home. I wasn't thinking of returning him, but did feel like the world's biggest idiot for thinking I can do this. The e-book is good too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I needed this when I first got Truffles back in December. Every day I woke up I was just like:

:frusty:

For two months it felt like I had a newborn. He cried at night, refused to be confined anywhere (later the vet diagnosed him with confinement anxiety and wanted to start medication, we just decided not to try to ever confine him again), he naturally whined constantly, peed everywhere, just ugh. Pain in my bum.

It did get much better, but it was sure a rough start. We still have bad days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I needed this when I first got Truffles back in December. Every day I woke up I was just like:

:frusty:

For two months it felt like I had a newborn. He cried at night, refused to be confined anywhere (later the vet diagnosed him with confinement anxiety and wanted to start medication, we just decided not to try to ever confine him again), he naturally whined constantly, peed everywhere, just ugh. Pain in my bum.

It did get much better, but it was sure a rough start. We still have bad days.
What you just described is, I think, the story of almost every dog parent that got their furkid as a puppy. :D

I was ready to throw myself in front of a train by the second day; I wish I would have seen this then. :D

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Puppy blues! I've already started to have symptoms, and I am terrified of how its going to be when I get to bring my pup home. Luckily, I think SO and I are going to be moving in together BEFORE then, so at least I'll have someone to help me not lose my mind...

I know that I can prepare as much as possible, read everything there is about puppies, but it is nothing compared to getting the actual dog. I've been a member since January and I'm getting my pup in August - that is how much effort I am putting in to my puppy. I'm fully expecting that I am still going to hit my head against the wall often.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Puppy blues! I've already started to have symptoms, and I am terrified of how its going to be when I get to bring my pup home. Luckily, I think SO and I are going to be moving in together BEFORE then, so at least I'll have someone to help me not lose my mind...

I know that I can prepare as much as possible, read everything there is about puppies, but it is nothing compared to getting the actual dog. I've been a member since January and I'm getting my pup in August - that is how much effort I am putting in to my puppy. I'm fully expecting that I am still going to hit my head against the wall often.
Every day I thought "why did I do this to myself? why did I get a puppy? IS IT TOO LATE TO GIVE HIM BACK?" etc. If I didn't have my SO to help me with him I would have been twice as frustrated.

A lot of the frustration came from not being able to crate him. For an entire month we would put him in the crate to sleep at night and he would really scream bloody murder every single night. We tried sleeping by the crate, moving to crate to beside our bed, and enormous different crate training methods. We never ever let him out if he was screaming. This was even after building up time in the crate initially and then releasing him when he was quiet. And, he never went to sleep when he was in the crate. After 4 hours his screeching turned into whining and when the morning came he was exhausted and we were exhausted. We took turns throughout the night being with him beside the crate while the other slept with ear plugs.

We both got maybe 4 hours of sleep every night for that month. My job really suffered and our relationship was like on edge because we were both so irritable all the time. We made it a point to never show our distress with Truffles and tried to be happy with him, but he was a little shjdfakhasklsdf pain.

We switched to confining him to our tiny bathroom for 2 weeks with a dog gate up, but had the same results. Our neighbors finally came over and told us that she's been sleeping with ear plugs and was giving us time to correct the problem with our puppy, but enough was enough. We took Truffles to get his shots the second day we got him and after 3 weeks he got his second round of shots and the vet said to keep trying that he's just taking longer to learn, but when we took him for his third round of shots (day after our neighbor talked to us) and explained all of this in detail, he finally told us it's very likely he has confinement anxiety (we were thinking separation anxiety) and that we should start considering medications or don't confine him. We went with the latter. Which sucks, because even thought he will go on potty pads (if we lay like 6 out), we know it's setting his potty training behind.

He's 7 months old and has accidents 1-3 times a week, even when we take him out 6-7 times a day. But, hey! He's worth it and still under a year old. We're hoping he'll be down to 0 accidents in 3-4 months! It's been a lot better.

We're glad we didn't give up but we thought about it and talked about it ahhhhhhh loooooooottttttttttttt, but we both wanted him and wanted to make him happy and give him a great life, so we held in there.

Coworkers: "Wow, Mel, you look like crap today. Your dark circles are almost black." Mel: "Don't get a puppy. EVER."

Having the relationship I have with him now, I really would have gone through all of that 4 times over if I needed to! Puppies are awesome and so rewarding, but stressful for sure.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Yes, in Lincoln's early days, when he was screaming, barking, and throwing himself around in his crate, yes, I was like WTF did I DO to myself??? But luckily, he learned quickly, and I still have flashes of "I want to strangle the jerk teenager" when he is bouncing around me, refusing to do what I want and barking his head off -_-

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's a good article! The first few months are always the hardest. I was having "puppy blues" with Jace but now that he's almost 6 months now and fully potty trained and kinda out of that chewing stage I couldn't be happier LOL

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I like the article. However I am one of those crazy people that just ADORE raising puppies. Even though I only got 1-2 hours of sleep each night for the first 2 MONTHS that I had Mason I do not regret it and STILL want another puppy. lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm in day 3 of puppy #2 right now and it's been a very llllloooonnnnggg weekend, to say the least :)

One positive is that suddenly my 2-yr-old Cobber seems like the best, easiest, most wonderful dog *ever* by comparison. And so far this new puppy isn't really difficult at all. It's just the 24-7 need for diligence and constant observation that wears me down. I live alone in a 2-story house so everything-- bathroom, toothbrushing, getting dressed, getting the mail, everything-- takes planning. I have xpens and crates all over so I can pop the new puppy in one while I do stuff as quickly as possible.

I have already remembered that I lost quite a bit of weight when Cobber was a puppy. I just gave up on dinner most evenings ;) Meals in general were whatever i could grab-and-go on the way back outside.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really like that article! Though I knew with my one puppy I was in it for the long haul (almost 3 years on a wait list) I was happy that I could get my male since someone backed out (I would have waited the next 2-3 years) having two has been interesting but fun and I would not trade them now for anything. I am going to bookmark the site she has many other good articles I want to read.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yeah, I liked the follow-up (it and some other articles convinced me to buy the e-book). The third day was definitely the worst here. Two days with little sleep(therefore more pain) , didn't feel totally in love with puppy, and other things, and I felt like a total failure and idiot for doing "this". :)
I haven't read her e-book, but I've read her blog for a while and I love her writing style and common sense approach to everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts