Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah.. I actually had someone say that too me today.

I was at work(I work in retail) and went to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy before I headed home. The Head Pharmacist is.. lets say... um... special, I guess is a nice way to put it. He just is stuck in his own way of thinking, and is completely stuck up. I also believes he has a minor crush on me since as soon as I became single he started talking to me.. a lot..

Anyways...

I mentioned something about going home and walking my dog, and the guy starts talking about how certain breeds are more dominate then others and how if he ever lets say, came over on a date, he could tell in a matter of seconds if the dog was in charge or if I was, just by if the dog stepped in front of my to protect me from him, or if the dog growled at him. At this point I was just nodding and saying "Yeah, my dog has never growled at anyone before..."

Then he starts to talk about his uncle and how he had a BIG stocky Pit bull that was really bow legged (More like an American Bully, but I didn't feel like fighting) and how his uncle had to remind that Pit Bull that he was in charge because the Pit Bull would growl at him. So to show this dog that he was in charge, he would pick the dog up by the back of his neck and tail and throw the dog. Or He would grab a 2x4 and beat the dog with it. Oh but don't worry, the dog was never hurt when he did this because the dog never made a sound and the dog never bled...

As I was walking away he reminded me "Make sure you give him a good smack every once in a while or he'll turn on you!"

Hmm... I think I'll stay on my current path with Positive Training, Love, and Exercise. According to everyone who has met Nubs he is the "best dog they have ever met". It just amazes me that this is what people think works on dogs. I feel so bad for it even though I know it's been dead for years. Poor thing went though that much abuse and this guy thinks it is just fine! *sighs*

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Hm, as soon as I saw the title I said, "okay, this is about someone who thinks manhandling makes for a good, REAL pit bull."

What a jerk. But people will be people, and as long as you make YOUR dog the right example of the breed - which you're obviously doing - then you've done your job.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
A 2x4 :eek:...yes, I wonder why that dog growls at people....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is stupid. Um you don't do that yet Nubs doesn't growl at anyone or anything like that. I don't understand where that thought comes from. Pit Bulls are not a dominant breed and being physical or forceful with dominant breeds can actually get you in trouble or at least other people hurt by your dog. Guess the guys lucky he has a "pit bull", too bad for the dog. I hope no dates with this dude.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
With statements like that I think I'd find a new pharmacist....I would have a very hard time trusting him.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is stupid. Um you don't do that yet Nubs doesn't growl at anyone or anything like that. I don't understand where that thought comes from. Pit Bulls are not a dominant breed and being physical or forceful with dominant breeds can actually get you in trouble or at least other people hurt by your dog. Guess the guys lucky he has a "pit bull", too bad for the dog. I hope no dates with this dude.
Never was a chance before today's conversation. It all comes down to breed/dog ignorance. People just don't understand. And I'd never left a hand to Nubs. How could I? He's too darn sweet. Now raise my voice, oh yeah. That is all that is needed. One sharp tone and whatever he was doing, he stops.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I have an extremely dominant mutt, but she minds me very well and isn't aggressive towards people or dogs, and I've never laid a hand on her. In fact, a man once kicked her in passing (Really. No provocation. Looked at the dog while she was walking behind me, and kicked her.) and she lunged and bit him. I'd like that pharmacist to come and try to man handle her and learn what can happen to YOU if you mistreat a dog.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Bullying a dog doesn't make them respect you. Just like if you were bullied by an unfair boss you'd resent them and only do the minimum to get by (maybe even eventually 'go postal' on them if they really abused you), a dog is the same way.

The average human is no physical match for a dog, and they know that. Trying to convince them that we're tougher than they are is pointless, and just makes them more likely to bite and misbehave. A good pack leader is fair and shows a dog that they deserve respect without having to be a bully.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My girl is very dominant, but I'd never lay a hand on her. Positive reinforcement works great with her. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
=
The average human is no physical match for a dog, and they know that. Trying to convince them that we're tougher than they are is pointless, and just makes them more likely to bite and misbehave. A good pack leader is fair and shows a dog that they deserve respect without having to be a bully.
I have to disagree with the no physical match part. It would take one hell of a dog to get me down

PB

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have to disagree with the no physical match part. It would take one hell of a dog to get me down

PB
Without protective clothing and a weapon? I've heard of people getting an artery in their arm severed by a dog bite and quickly bleeding to death. A dog's teeth and reflexes are better than ours, among other things. The average person is not so buff and fierce that they could do anything other than scream and flail if a dog seriously came after them for blood. That right there = losing the fight.

Trying to physically beat up a large dog just to show it you're boss is dangerous and pointless. You may even get a dog to submit if you're really tough, but you'll ruin the relationship with the dog. Most of us want our dogs to love us, not fear us and obey us only grudgingly.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
That 2X4 comment.. GEEZE! THAT inflames me and this is why:

I bought a horse once that I retrained and sold... and that horse had some SERIOUS behavior issues because its owner beat it with an 18 inch 2X4. The owner was not a good rider and the horse learned to rear and spin and run for home (dumping Mr. 2X4 beatin' man in the process).

I got the horse and we got 'just so far' from home and she did the rear and spin thing.. I stayed on and a battle ensued.. me insisting on a single step away from home at a walk.. her insisting I needed to be OFF her back. After about 30 minutes the horse was lathered, I was exhausted and she FINALLY took that all important walking step away from home. I got off, patted her and WALKED her home.

This, BTW, went on every day for 3 weeks.. why I am here alive and why the Horse lived is beyond me... but I never hit her.. just insisted on a quiet walk away from home.

One day she "got it" and started the usual battle and suddenly stopped and walked way from home. I got off her and praised her to the skies and walked her home.. and she NEVER did it again. EVER. I sold her to a girl with a physical disability as a 4H horse. She was one of the best I ever owned.. that horse.

I cannot BELIEVE anyone would regularly beat an animal....

I DO threaten Atka.. she will be leaping around and I will tell her, "You're Cruisin' for a Buisin lady!" and she will bark at me and gently grab my hand. :rolleyes:

I guess those bruisin's really work....

BTW are you going to date the guy? carry a 2X4.... :p (sorry.. I am BAD BAD BAD!)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What I find the most entertaining about this post is that a man admits to an obvious dog lover (whom he appears interested in) that he has a history of beating dogs.

Whatta way to win the girl, Champ. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What I find the most entertaining about this post is that a man admits to an obvious dog lover (whom he appears interested in) that he has a history of beating dogs.

HaHA!! Too funny.

I just had a conversation last night with one of my patients and he said he was very much a dog lover and owns a jack russell. Then he continues... I don't understand why people would own a pit bull. Those dogs are just not right in the head. They are just plain crazy dogs.

I went on to explain a little bit about the breed and how it's the owner. I don't think it really sunk into him. Hopefully, it did.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

LOL that's JUST what I thought!

Of course I'd politey tell him after that little 'speech' that he'd never have a date with me because I wouldn't trust ANYBODY that would participate in beating a dog.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've always heard that you should smack your dog everytime you want it don't want to do certain things like,house training,potty training,etc.Of course I don't do any of things and my dogs have turned out just fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've always heard that you should smack your dog everytime you want it don't want to do certain things like,house training,potty training,etc.Of course I don't do any of things and my dogs have turned out just fine.
Smacking your dog will just make it aggressive ....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts