Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an 11 month old Keeshond that has been potty trainer since she was about 4 months old (completely that is). I cannot describe what she is doing in any way other than spiteful. She never pees or poops in the house unless at night she doesn't get to sleep in either me or my roommate's bedroom. Example: I didn't let her in my room lady night because I have a newborn baby (so I don't sleep much) and the clicking of her claws on my hardwood floors drives me crazy. My roommate wasn't home so she couldn't sleep in his room, so she got left downstairs for the night. I woke up to literally 6 pee puddles and 2 poops, this coming from a dog who can always hold it through the night. She also thought she would sleep on the couch and she has NEVER been allowed on the furniture. This is not just a one time thing, every time I leave her out or forget to bring her up with me at night this happens. Any ideas? Anything would be welcome. I do strongly disagree with it not being spiteful considering that is the ONLY time she pottys in the house.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I wouldn't call it spite; I would say being apart from you and/or the sudden change in routine (ie not being able to sleep in the room with you guys) stresses her out so much that she empties her bowels.
Have you tried crating her?

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I wouldn't call it spite; I would say being apart from you and/or the sudden change in routine (ie not being able to sleep in the room with you guys) stresses her out so much that she empties her bowels.
Have you tried crating her?
The other alternative here is that the dog has to go overnight, and with no one watching/not being locked in a room she feels free to go find somewhere to go, rather than holding it because she isn't confined, even to a room. This is true of my Boston, who is reliably potty trained. In a room? Fine. Wandering free in the house for 8-10 hours at night? She's GOING to go pee in the dining room. The bottom line is, dogs are motivated by what is rewarding. If she went once, and learned she could (or get on the furniture) because of lack of supervision, they're going to keep doing it.

Seconding crate training.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
This is true of my dog who is in the process of being potty trained. He has a very strong instinct to keep his area clean so he won't go in his crate or if he is left in a room. But if he is given run of the house he will pee somewhere out of the way and go to a different room. If he is confined to my room or any other he won't go in it. In your case anxiety about the change and being alone is probably part of the problem too. I would try crate training.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
There is a difference between spite and being anxious. Doing something out of spite goes something like this:
"I don't like this situation, so I am going to think of a way to get back at you. Hmmm. What could I do to get back at you. Let's see. OH, I know, I'll pee and poop on the floor."
Dogs do not, absolutely not, have the ability to do this kind of thinking. They don't have the ability to reason, weigh the pros and cons of certain situations/decisions.

However, when they are nervous, or upset, they DO get anxious. And, I know from personal experience (and I'm a human, not a dog :) ) that when I am nervous, my bodily functions change, too. So, a dog, who doesn't have a fabulous ability to self soothe, will often have a hard time controlling bladder and bowels when they are anxious.

There's actually a lot going on here.....
A new baby changes a lot. Your routine is different, so the dog's routine is different, too. And, lots and lots of dogs face setbacks in potty training when their routine changes. Also, your body chemistry is different right now, and dogs sense that. They also sense your stress at having a new baby (lack of sleep, worrying about the baby, all the stuff that goes with having a new baby). That all affects the family dog, too.

As for the pee/poop, I would crate the dog, as others have said. And, perhaps, in the crate, put a piece of your clothing, unwashed, that smells like you, so that the dog can be comforted by your scent.
As for the couch, lots of dogs aren't allowed to do certain things, when their owners are there to double check and monitor. But, there have been plenty of threads here where people are asking how to train their dog to NOT do something when the humans are not home. It's hard to make sure your dogs are following the rules when you're not home, or you're in the bedroom. So, if you're not home, or you're out of the room, she may occasionally sneak on the couch, especially with the stress of a new baby in the house....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Buy a cheap piece of carpet (or a couple of pieces...You can get remnants very cheap at carpet stores), and place them in your room around your bed, so the dog's nails don't click. Or get the nails trimmed (properly trimmed nails don't click).

The dog isn't peeing out of spite, because as mentioned dogs aren't capable of thinking through something like that. The dog is most likely stressed. Walking the dog daily (twice a day is better) for about 45 min each time at a brisk pace will help reduce anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts