Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting out with our Aussie pup, and now at about 10 weeks he's figured out that if he starts making noise in the middle of the night that one of us will wake up and take him outside so he can pee.

Normally, id think this is fine, but for example, last night, he got us up at 12, 3,4,5. Each time he p'd a little (to make us happy), but I know hes just getting the best of us bc during the day, we leave him in the crate for ~4/5hrs with no problems.

How can we figure out if he REALLY needs to go, or just wants to get some attention? Maybe its time to move his crate to another room?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I've always had my puppies crated by the bedside at night...close enough to touch....to lend some reassurance in the dark. Often, that touch is enough to quiet them down. If they don't settle down then, I take them out.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Your pup is dog an admirable job of training you.

But 4-5 hours seems a stretch for a 10-week pup. Maybe you can reach a compromise. Find a reasonable schedule and stick with it. Don't let the pup decide when you should jump or you'll be doing it for the next 14 years or so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol - this is why I'm glad I'm deaf at nights. I don't have to hear Stardust whine. The first few nights she would cry (sounds like a bird call...weird) for a while. After a while, she would just whine for a few mins to about 15 minutes, then she settles down.

I do not have her in my bedroom because there's no room, and she's better off in the other room.

I'm not experienced with younger pups (Stardust is about 5 months), so I'm not sure the norm of going out to potty...I've heard 2 hours during the day, and once during the night (if it's 8 hours sleep, then every 4 hours etc).

If you play with your pup a LOT right before bedtime, the more he'll sleep through the night. Just like babies.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'd stick with a schedule. If he's good 4 to 5 hours - stick with that.

Or maybe 3 hours might be a little better. No need to push him to the edge unless necessary, imo.

If you know he's good for 4 hr - no need to take him out each hour, imo. (unless you want to, obviously, but it sounds like that's not the case)

I'd try for 3 hours on schedule and see if he doesn't adapt.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wonder if dobermans have bigger bladders, because both of my previous puppies could sleep through the night without potty breaks. Given they were between 9 and 12 weeks old when I bought home.

I would set a very strict bathroom schedule. Maybe let him out every 3 and 1/2 hours so you know he hasn’t been holding it uncomfortably.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My attitude is to not worry so much whether the pup really has to go. If the pup is indicating the need to go out, I take him. I'll worry about reducing the number of trips once the pup is reliably housebroken. I can't say it's ever been a problem but, like I said, I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wonder if dobermans have bigger bladders, because both of my previous puppies could sleep through the night without potty breaks. Given they were between 9 and 12 weeks old when I bought home.

I would set a very strict bathroom schedule. Maybe let him out every 3 and 1/2 hours so you know he hasn’t been holding it uncomfortably.
My pitlab is able to make it about 6-7 hours without peeing, at 8 weeks old. Do larger breeds just have bigger bladders even at a young age?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My dog is a pitlab as well and he can make it about 5 hours overnight just fine, but in the day time I swear he pees every 5 seconds! Wouldn't be so bad if we weren't in an apartment on the 3rd floor and if he gave us any signals! The only way we knows he needs to poop is he starts running in circles and crying. When he needs to pee he just squats where he is...carpet, hardwood, the balcony, the door mat..anywhere works for him! If we get him out before he goes inside the house then sometimes he will decide to go on the stairs. We have probably 2-3 accidents a day inside.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My pup has a tendency to be noisy in his crate, so from the beginning we decided to never let him out while he's making noise. So, overnight I set an alarm and took him out when the alarm went off. We go to bed around 10 and get up at 6, so the alarm was set for 2am. Eventually we were able to change it to 3am, 4am, etc until he was sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My dog is a pitlab as well and he can make it about 5 hours overnight just fine, but in the day time I swear he pees every 5 seconds! Wouldn't be so bad if we weren't in an apartment on the 3rd floor and if he gave us any signals! The only way we knows he needs to poop is he starts running in circles and crying. When he needs to pee he just squats where he is...carpet, hardwood, the balcony, the door mat..anywhere works for him! If we get him out before he goes inside the house then sometimes he will decide to go on the stairs. We have probably 2-3 accidents a day inside.
Here's the thing: with dogs (and humans) our body systems slow down at night (or any time that we are very inactive). So, heart rate, breathing, even the rate of digestion slows. As a result, less urine is produced, and the urine that is produced is more concentrated.

So, yes, it's understandable that your puppy can hold it longer overnight, but not during the day.
As for giving signals, lots of dogs, both puppies and adults, don't give signals. In those situations, it's more about setting a schedule and keeping track of when they've last gone, and then getting them out. Only ONE of my adult dogs gives any signals, and she just paces and gets antsy.
Sometimes puppies will start sniffing the floor a bit more than normal when they have to pee, or the get agitated and move around a lot.

But, really, it's more about you setting a schedule and knowing when it's time to take them out. Depending on the age, it could be every 30 minutes (for really young ones) to every 1-2 hours (older ones) or even more. Our adult dogs need to go out about ever 3-4 hours during the day when we're home (small breeds with small bladders). During the day when we're not home, they are less active and can hold it longer, maybe 6-7 hours. At night, they hold it longer, 7-8 hours.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I say be flexible Always in the back of my mind when starting a new pup/dog off that I could cause opposite behaviors due to my actions then I was trying for and you have to recognize (that it's not working, developing the wrong behavior, being ignored or being abused lol ) regroup in your approach. You try different things and if your wrong, OWN IT, and change what your doing for the benefit of the pup/dog wining being able to accomplish successfully.. nothing wrong with trial and error. I don't punish for potty accidents, it keeps you mindful for needing to take the extra time to clean up but I do want a pup to mature into expanding their schedule as you go along. I feed the new pup in the crate and he went from eating laying down and sleeping while the other dogs finished their meals to eating and pawing at his crate gate. I just stepped in and give a down and started with as soon as he laid down I would open the gate as he was requesting. And now have expanded on that to a "wait command" and Arka lays down on his own and just relaxes about it.. 5 minutes at first now 10 minutes but he always wins the gate does come open for him to come out. you progress as they progress

·
Registered
788 Posts
10 weeks is still really young. Their bladders grow in size a lot in that first 2 months. You could stick it out for now. The pup seems to be up a lot at night. Maybe some late night activity could help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts