Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a spinoff of my own thread. This time I am actually asking for advice, and not only WWYD?

There is this guy who brings an 8 month old pit to the dog park quite often. I see him quite often when I take my dogs there. The pit is always on the precipice of what looks like a dog attack.... He snarls, and bites a lot.... hard enough that dogs whimper, but I can't say that I have ever seen it draw blood.

People frequently leave when he arrives with this dog. The owner "looks" like a thug... covered in tats, wears a "wife beater" shirt, as they call them.... shaved head, piercings all over his body, all muscled up....... but specifically, some of his tattoos look like gang signs.

It's not fair that this guy and his dog ruin everybody else' day at the park. By and large, people and dogs have great fun at this park.

It is a fenced in park that is open to the public, with no supervision other than the dog owners.

WWYD?

I really don't want to take my dogs out when he gets there. We drive 6 or 7 miles to get there.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What would I do?

I would leave, simple as that.
If he often came at the same time I would adjust my schedule around it or look for a different place to take my dogs.
The situation sucks but I would rather drive there and leave right away, wasting a little bit of gas, than risk my dogs getting seriously injured and having to pay a pricey vet bill... and deal with the guy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would I do?

I would leave, simple as that.
If he often came at the same time I would adjust my schedule around it or look for a different place to take my dogs.
The situation sucks but I would rather drive there and leave right away, wasting a little bit of gas, than risk my dogs getting seriously injured and having to pay a pricey vet bill... and deal with the guy.
I wish he had a schedule.... I don't and yet still see this dog often.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't think how the owner looks matters at all, but if the public is what polices it EVERY ONE needs to his dog is inappropriate and he needs to leave or you find a different park. There is NO park owner or the city to call over the matter?

As someone who is apparently "thug" myself, I would probably talk to him like another human being and ask him if he realizes his dog is being too rough with the other dogs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, my advice is much the same as both of the others above. Try to bring it up in a polite way rather than any sort of condescending manner. He may have a rough-looking appearance, but very well may be one of the most polite people you'll meet. And if his appearance has you afraid to mention it, perhaps there is someone else there who will. Maybe it'd just take a few of you speaking to one another about it and suddenly someone will go "Oh, you all feel the same as I do? Well, in that case, let me go speak to the gentleman." And if it's past that point, and just that no one is willing to confront the man, well, then there's 2 options I see. A) Animal patrol or local authorities? Surely one or the other will respond to the situation in some way or another, especially if it is on city property. B) Easy (but yes, cruddy) option - leave. Sadly, I'm learning on here (fortunately though more so on here than personal experience) that the easiest, and often only acceptable solution for most of us, is simply to leave the dog park. Very few dog parks seem to have any sort of on-site authorities/attendants, so if confronting a person isn't an option or if the person doesn't want to do anything deemed acceptable, the only remaining options are to stay and hope nothing harmful happens or simply leave the situation entirely.

Yeah, it's no good lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, he is NOT polite.... I have seen him go off on people for pulling his dog off their dogs. I mentioned what he looked like because I think his looks intimidate people,and the add the perception that many people have about pit bulls........ if you want to deny that people would think he's a "thug", by all means, go ahead.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Oh, he is NOT polite.... I have seen him go off on people for pulling his dog off their dogs. I mentioned what he looked like because I think his looks intimidate people,and the add the perception that many people have about pit bulls........ if you want to deny that people would think he's a "thug", by all means, go ahead.
Maybe he's a Sunday School Teacher on his day off. My pick would be thug or wanna-be. I would probably give him the standard "What's Uuuup" greeting and see what he throws back at ya.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't have any suggestions besides leaving, based on your last post. Even mild confrontation sounds futile here. If he's so unreasonable that he will yell at people for breaking up potential fights, he's not going to listen to someone politely telling him to GTFA. My advice is to get his license plate now, because if there's a fight and a dog is injured, he might take off before anyone has the presence of mind to write it down.

Does the township run the park? Who is responsible for park maintenance? Maybe there's some recourse for action that you're not aware of, and if you could just get a phone number you could at least make the problem known.

Are you completely positive that you're not making assumptions based on the way the guy looks and the breed? Some breeds and some dogs have very rough play styles, and people unfamiliar with that can misread their intentions. You should try to separate out actual evidence from stereotypes.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I don't think how the owner looks matters at all, but if the public is what polices it EVERY ONE needs to his dog is inappropriate and he needs to leave or you find a different park. There is NO park owner or the city to call over the matter?

As someone who is apparently "thug" myself, I would probably talk to him like another human being and ask him if he realizes his dog is being too rough with the other dogs.
This is why I don't go to the DP anymore lol, because cattle dog play is too rough for 'normal' dog's ;) lol. It looks like they are 'fighting & will make other dogs whimper unintentionally. Perhaps that's what this guys pup is doing? Regardless you should talk to him.

·
Registered
891 Posts
WWID? Leave the dog park immediately. I used to try to police the dog park in order to keep my dog safe but I found it's just not worth the human confrontation, esp. these days when people seem to be pulling guns on those with whom they disagree. When someone thinks their large dog belongs in the small dog side, there's no reasoning with that person. I've given up on dog parks entirely.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Irresponsible owners are why I never go to dog parks. After a dog repeatedly humped my dog several years ago, and the owner laughed it off, saying that's the way her dog played, I was done!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Irresponsible owners are why I never go to dog parks. After a dog repeatedly humped my dog several years ago, and the owner laughed it off, saying that's the way her dog played, I was done!
If I, or anyone else, left the park anytime my dog (or any other) does some humping, the park would never be too busy! Now excessively humping something that probably doesn't want to be humped, which I'm going to guess is the case with your mini poodle, definitely can be annoying. What gets me is the jarheads who laugh and continuously go on with the "What are they doing? My dog isn't gay, he doesn't swing that way!" Really.... Some maturity please....

Lol Anyway, end random, off-topic rant. If this guy shows irritation and snaps at people for breaking up things involving his dog, be it aggressiveness or simply too rough of play for the other owner, he's probably not likely to take kindly to any other words. So again, best option? Leave. Sorry, hate to sound repetitive but that's your best bet. Leave and possibly contact whatever city department (or whomever) that manages the park.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know it seems unfair, especially after the drive, but I'd leave immediately. Just go and figure out something else to do that is fun and away from home. Like, you could bring your 15 foot leash and got to a park and play, or take the opportunity to proof some training in a public place.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Frankly if it's that frequent and the guy is that obnoxious I'd find a different park to go to or try to get a play group together of dogs/owners you know are stable and can rotate yards for meet-ups.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If I, or anyone else, left the park anytime my dog (or any other) does some humping, the park would never be too busy! Now excessively humping something that probably doesn't want to be humped, which I'm going to guess is the case with your mini poodle, definitely can be annoying. What gets me is the jarheads who laugh and continuously go on with the "What are they doing? My dog isn't gay, he doesn't swing that way!" Really.... Some maturity please....

Lol Anyway, end random, off-topic rant. If this guy shows irritation and snaps at people for breaking up things involving his dog, be it aggressiveness or simply too rough of play for the other owner, he's probably not likely to take kindly to any other words. So again, best option? Leave. Sorry, hate to sound repetitive but that's your best bet. Leave and possibly contact whatever city department (or whomever) that manages the park.
I'm not so naive to think humping would never happen. This particular dog, a regular visitor, was an obsessive humper - literally non-stop. The owner thought it was funny. I didn't.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you have become friends with some of the people at the dog park, could you meet somewhere else for play dates? It's so not fair that this one trouble maker is allowed to dominate the dog park!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have any suggestions besides leaving, based on your last post. Even mild confrontation sounds futile here. If he's so unreasonable that he will yell at people for breaking up potential fights, he's not going to listen to someone politely telling him to GTFA. My advice is to get his license plate now, because if there's a fight and a dog is injured, he might take off before anyone has the presence of mind to write it down.

Does the township run the park? Who is responsible for park maintenance? Maybe there's some recourse for action that you're not aware of, and if you could just get a phone number you could at least make the problem known.

Are you completely positive that you're not making assumptions based on the way the guy looks and the breed? Some breeds and some dogs have very rough play styles, and people unfamiliar with that can misread their intentions. You should try to separate out actual evidence from stereotypes.
100% positive.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Frankly if it's that frequent and the guy is that obnoxious I'd find a different park to go to or try to get a play group together of dogs/owners you know are stable and can rotate yards for meet-ups.
There..... that's a good idea that would never have occurred to me.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I have a dog that's reactive, the only way she plays with other dogs is to have a proper introduction period and play dates. I don't risk dog parks because I know of another dog misbehaved with her she'd over correct and the result could WELL be a fight (she would NOT back down).

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think many dog park problems would be solved if the gates were locked and you had to sign a disclaimer and purchase a key to get in.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts