Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Iditarod 1049 mile dog race

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  MarleysGirl 
#1 ·
This weekend was the start of the Iditarod Sleddog Race here in Alaska. Downtown Anchorage becomes quite the spectacle with about 1000 dogs and more than 20,000 people converging on 4th avenue. The "dog mushers" will ride the sled runners for 10+ days to cover the "1049" miles (actual trail mileage higher) to Nome.

Here's a link to see the start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwXQkdjjKFM

What do you think? Would you race for more than a thousands miles?

#8 ·
I wonder how many of the sled teams use pure bred dogs, or if most of the sled dogs competing at elite levels are a mix of breeds...When I was in Canada I went on a dog sled trip (doing the easy part of sitting in the sled LOL ) and most of the dogs were mixes....the guy even had a greyhound mix, which he proudly showed off to me once he found out I owned greyhounds.

#9 ·
Almost none of the mushers here use pure Huskies. They use combination's of husky/GSD/greyhound, and breeds like that.

They are trying to breed for dogs that can withstand cold, but also run, and have stamina.

Malamutes can be too heavy, so they usually do Siberian Husky mixes.

I know a few Russian and french teams still use pure huskies and believe by them.

#13 ·
Ill second that. I also think it would be amazing to see. Not that I guess you would see the whole race but at least to be there to watch the teams take off. I just love the dependance that the dogs and mushers must have on each other, how they have to work as a team. I just think it would be a great bonding experience and quite humbling as well.

#14 ·
I enjoy watching shows about the Iditarod race. I have great admiration for those who train and race.Recently I watched a show about a woman who races it. She said it's not for everyone (I agree)and probably very few could live her lifestyle. She lived in the wilderness and had no electricity or running water.She lived alone with her dogs.Come to think of it,it wouldn't be a bad way to live. I would love to go see it in person one day,it would be a dream vacation!

#16 ·
I wish they would decide once and for all just how long this race is:

the press reports anything from 1000 to 1200 miles; the Iditarod web site says 1150 miles on the front page, but according to the trail map on the same site with was measured with GPS and should be most accurate, the finish line is at 936.

1150? 936? That's a difference of over 200 miles, or the distance from Unalakleet to Nome, or 2 race days. Really, how hard can it be to figure out an accurate distance?!

#18 ·
the original route was also different: from nenana to Nome, rather than Anch to Nome. The serum was brought to Nenana by train.

That one's still commemorated by the serum run, an annual lecture/mushing expedition (not a race) from Nenana to Nome. They stop and sleep in the villages and give talks/lectures on health related issues. Each serum run has a theme, such as smoking, heart disease etc.
This year, it had to be cancelled because of too deep snow.

Oops - the city sirens just went off; another Iditarod musher is arriving in town :) I'll run and have a look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.