Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Somehow or another I've really messed up or strain my knee and I can't really walk my 1 year old pit Rocky as much as I usually do (if not at all for a few days) which sucks because I was gonna get him REALLY pooped out by taking him to the dog park today. And it makes me feel bad because he's hanging around me while I work on homework and just looks plain bored. A few times today I played stuff like tug-o-war with him and threw around his favorite toy inside the house but he still has that look on his face =( Or maybe I'm just interpreting his expressions in the human way when really that's not the case.

My siblings don't ever walk him so I can't ask them to do it. Maybe I can get them to play with him inside for half an hour or something...

But yeah, just wanted to know: What kinds of activities can you do with your dog inside that'll tire him out quickly and won't require me to strain my knee too much?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I bought a cheap used treadmill for my dog, I use it myself too but for days when I cant take him for long walks or jogs I put him on the treadmill. I have a couple exercise machines in my basement so most days I will exercise as well while he is on the treadmill, but when I am unambitious, I have a couch down there too and I'll read a book or geek out on my lap top or phone while Thumper is on the treadmill. I found this to be an excellent tool for exercising. My dog, as well as others I know, LOVE the treadmill. I dont have to force him on it, I also don't have to tie him to it..he goes on it all by himself and all I have to do is turn it on for him. One time I was using it myself, and Thumper was so jealous he jumped on it with me lol. It didn't work out too well, he fell off but he stood in front of it staring at me and whining..when I got off, he jumped on lol.

You can buy fairly small, compact sized treadmills that fold up for easy storage. Mine is quite big and awkward, but it does fold up, however my basement is sort of converted into a gym so I have no probs with it.. but if you can find one and have the space for it.. it is an excellent exercise tool.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PackMomma: Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that! Luckily, my mom had a fancy one downstairs that no one barely uses. The thing is though: How do I get him to start LIKING the treadmill? I've used it a couple of times and he would curiously trot up and sniff it and watch me walk on it. But one time I tried getting him on there by using treats, like placing them on the treadmill and getting him used to just stepping on it. Eventually I got him to KINDA walk on it at low speed, but I was pretty much forcing him to stay on it and eventually he either just jumps off or is freaked out by the noise it makes and doesn't wanna come back to it. =(

And he's pretty strong, if he doesn't want on the treadmill, he'll get his way eventually once he tires me out, lol.

vanchica:: I've actually done that with some success, but usually by the third throw he'll stay at the top of the stairs and just look at it without getting it. Then looks back at me like "Uh, are you gonna get it?" Lol. I usually throw his rope toy or sometimes his rawhide bone. Sometimes I don't know if he fully understands the idea of fetch though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My dogs get a LOT of exercise when I tie a string around one of their stuffed animals and whip it around. You can drag it, make it "jump" on furniture, etc. As soon as they get close to it, quickly yank it away. It's hysterical. :)

Jen

·
Registered
948 Posts
My dogs get a LOT of exercise when I tie a string around one of their stuffed animals and whip it around. You can drag it, make it "jump" on furniture, etc. As soon as they get close to it, quickly yank it away. It's hysterical. :)

Jen
yup, this is a real popular activity at my house, too!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Lots of indoor fetch works well for us on days when we're really busy or the weather is bad. It really tires her out if we continually throw it onto the furniture so she has to climb up the get it, or if we hold it up high and have her jump for it.

It sounds the like the problem you're having is less about exercise and more about boredom, though, since he seems to be lying around waiting to do something instead of being hyperactive or destructive. For that you could start giving him his food inside of a treat dispensing toy, or you could stuff a Kong toy with canned food, peanut butter or whatever he likes. If you freeze it it takes even longer to get out. Anything to occupy him for a little while.

I do agree though that he's probably fine. I work from home so it used to be hard for me to watch Sydney lying on the couch staring at me all day because I thought she must be miserably bored. But really, that probably wasn't the case. Your dog doesn't need to be doing something every second if they aren't being destructive. A couple lower activity says or weeks isn't necessarily a problem until you feel better and can resume your normal routine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well.. I introduced the treadmill to my dog when he was 5 months old, and being that he is an intillegent working breed.. he thinks going on the treadmill is a fun job, he perks up just as much when I say "treadmill" as when I say "walk". He was very food driven, so I just used a high quality treat like cubes of cheese or some leftover steak, and I would make him sit on the treadmill, feed a couple treats, then turn it on to a slow walk, while I keep rifling treats into his mouth, as he's walking. I would stop feeding and replace the treats with praise like "good boy!" etc, then I would turn the treadmill off, make him sit, and give him bunch of more treats and praise. few minutes later I would repeat, and keep doing it for longer periods of time, now I dont need to use treats but I still give him the odd one just to reinforce the idea that the treadmill is a GOOD thing, and reward him for doing his 'job'. Patience and consistence.. and you do not want to let the dog win and give into his fear, he will just continue to think its a scary thing because you're not persistent in showing him its a fun thing to do, if he always gets away with it..then he will never learn.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My dog loves to chase the red dot of a laser pointer. You can do that without moving & it's a blast to watch them scramble after the dot. Just be careful not to point it in anyone's eyes.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Pits love a laser pointer, but don't get him over excited... just a few minutes at a time. Also, you might tie an inner tube or rope to a tree and play tug by himself.... careful he doesn't pull the tree over :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well got good news and bad news. Bad news is we have 70 lbs of muscle and mayhem. Good news is that we can take him out and just turn him loose (huge fenced area) and he screams around area and a couple Booyahs shouted while he s running sets him into high gear. When he slows down a bit we go into second phase.

5 minutes or so of homemade flirt pole where I just turn circles or just swing pole around head and then when back in home he crashes. Admittedly it's senior method of getting job done but it's working for us.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We do the laser pointer as well...its actually Caeda's favourite treat. We have linoleum inside though so it makes it tough if she wants to start running. One thing I've done for her though is I use the coffee table and such and get her to crawl under to get the dot, or around the legs of the dining room table. Works even better than just having her run back and forth. We also shine it up out of reach and she has to sit or down to get the dot to come back, or we make her come before we put it back on the floor....so pretty good for reinforcing obedience. Then there's "where's the dot!" She'll run around looking for it and when she finally spots it she gets to chase again. Wears her out (though much better outside, and much less destruction lol).
One thing we have found VERY useful though is that when the game is done we put the laser away, tell her "all done" give her a treat. Otherwise she runs around the house looking for the dot for ages!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts