Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone! I am new here and new to owning a dog also. I have a 6 month old dog named missy. She's a mix between a lab and a boxer.

I bought a bristo petmate watering system, the ones with the acrylic tank. She drinks water like no other and this was a lot more convienent for me to make sure she always had water.

First off, let me say that I live in nebraska and we get some pretty cold winters here. Last winter was the coldest that I can remember.

I am wanting to convert this bristo tank system into a heated system. I am looking for ideas here. Here was my idea.......I was thinking about taking a fish tank heater and sticking it either in the base or the tank itself. The thing that im not to sure of is how many watts is going to be required to keep my tank from freezing. I am also wondering if a bird bath heater might work also, they turn on when it reaches 35 degrees.

I was thinking about wrapping my tank in a blanket also to kind of help out.

I know they make heated water bowls but I dont want one of those because then I would be right back to where I was and having to fill it twice a day.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
An aquarium heater isn't designed to work in temps below freezing. I don't that that would work at all. Your best bet would be to go to a farm supply store (Tractor Supply Co, Bomgaars, Campbells, etc.) and ask for advice. They have lots of experience with heated livestock watering systems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts