Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an american staffordshire pitbull named penny

she is 2 years old. I got her at 9 weeks and she means the world to me..that being said in the time I have owned her she has been socialized and introduced to all sorts of new animals people environments etc... I got her with an ex fiance when my ex and I split I got a roomie. He wanted a dog and I was noticing a change since my fiance and the cats left (penny liked the cats not sure why)... Anyhow my roomie got a puppy and since he has penny has changed....she became super jealous to the point of attacking other dogs. I dont condone this at all and I dont know how to curb it....its almost like she is bipolar

can a dog be bi polar ?

Also since I am literally 3 mins new to this site how do I put up a photo of her

Also since I am literally 3 mins new to this site how do I put up a photo of her

I guess I should also add that I walk her daily or take her to a leashless park..she doesnt stay in a crate anymore when im gone just sits on the bed and watches squirrels. Oh and she had puppy obedience training.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Couple of things here.

Penny might be resource guarding you and/or your roomie. When does she get snappy? Is it just with the new puppy or with other dogs also?

You may also be looking at the beginnings of dog aggression. Sometimes, despite the best socialization, Pit Bulls will mature to be dog-aggressive. Some dogs are just genetically predisposed to it.

My suggestion would be to continue taking training classes so long as your dog isn't leash reactive to the point that it is disruptive, get her out and moving more (look into Flirt Poles). As I'm sure you know, these guys are usually pretty high energy.

Be careful with offleash parks. I assume you mean dog park.. there is a thread going on in the training forum about the dangers of Pit Bulls and dog parks. You may want to read this. http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogpark.cfm

there are many bully owners here who I'm sure would be more than willing to give you advice. Good luck, and keep us updated on how things are going.

BTW I use my photobucket to add photos. There are more detailed instructions in the Picture Forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will read that forum link you posted but you have to know that I am a firm believer in the fact that you cant judge a dog by the breed. Hence the reason I got her. She has been socialized to the point of ridiculous...hell even If I go to my local pub 50% of the time ill take her and sit outside. If she can go with me she does.. She is the most loving puppy ever but lately has been very very jealous only when another dog is taking her attention from someone else

none of the bites happened near me always when I was either out of state or out of the room

one the other day at a park but she didnt bite just snap

The owner there suggested she is just going through a phase with me giving another dog attention .....they likened it to a hot girl at school....a new girl comes in and guys stop paying attention to her...I can give her more attention but that just makes her more and more jealous it seems I give her less and she starts doing weird things like huddling under my computer desk and sleeping on my back at night.

BTW I read the articles and it makes me sad if I can never take her to a dog park cause my lifes ambition is to own a dog park.

Thank you so much for your kind words.....
Anyone else would be nice to get multiple opinions

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will read that forum link you posted but you have to know that I am a firm believer in the fact that you cant judge a dog by the breed. Hence the reason I got her. She has been socialized to the point of ridiculous...hell even If I go to my local pub 50% of the time ill take her and sit outside. If she can go with me she does.. She is the most loving puppy ever but lately has been very very jealous only when another dog is taking her attention from someone else

none of the bites happened near me always when I was either out of state or out of the room

The owner there suggested she is just going through a phase with me giving another dog attention .....they likened it to a hot girl at school....a new girl comes in and guys stop paying attention to her...I can give her more attention but that just makes her more and more jealous it seems I give her less and she starts doing weird things like huddling under my computer desk and sleeping on my back at night.

BTW I read the articles and it makes me sad if I can never take her to a dog park cause my lifes ambition is to own a dog park.
Anyone else would be nice to get multiple opinions

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Well, it sounds like she may be a bit on the seperation anxiety side. Meaning when you're not around, she's not happy. Though not as extreme as some can be (they'll destroy your house, crates, anything they can get near) that might be an idea.

She could also be turning on to being dog aggressive. Unfortunately it's a trait bred into these dogs and it can turn on later in life, even with the utmost socialization. That's one of the things they've been bred to do, is fight other dogs.
Although, a single snap at a dog park I don't believe is a huge reason to sound the alarm, just yet. I wasn't there, so I can only speculate at the circumstances. Maybe the other dog was being annoying to her? Some dogs don't like others jumping in their face, barking, jumping all over them, and generally being lacking in the manners department. I still take mine to the dog park, she's 14 months old now. Some dogs she just can't resist jumping in their face and being a pushy pain in the butt, so then she has to go home because she's being a brainless twit. Others she's fine with and plays very well with.

Has yours been to the vet recently? How long has it been going on? Maybe it's a medical condition and she's not feeling well, and your roomies new puppy is getting on the wrong side of her?

I think the first thing I'd do if this is completely new and bizarre behavior for her is get her checked out by the vet, rule out medical conditions. Then start looking at what else has changed since the new puppy has arrived. Also is she spayed? Mine is not and has been a grouchy b!tch since she came in heat and has been snappy and nasty to my other dog. It's doggy PMS is my guess there, as she has never acted like that before.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind words.
You're welcome. I hope I helped a little.

I will read that forum link you posted but you have to know that I am a firm believer in the fact that you cant judge a dog by the breed. Hence the reason I got her.
Well, the thing about Pit Bulls that you have to realize is that the breed was specifically designed to be aggressive towards other animals. So, owning one does take some special considerations. With the threat of Pit Bulls being banned, you should always try to set your dog up for success. That's JMHO, and I think the Pit owners on this board will tell you something similar.

She has been socialized to the point of ridiculous...hell even If I go to my local pub 50% of the time ill take her and sit outside. If she can go with me she does.. She is the most loving puppy ever but lately has been very very jealous only when another dog is taking her attention from someone else
To me, getting snappy is enough of a deterrent from going to dog parks. Unfortunately, many people do NOT like your breed and are literally out to ban them. Just one mistake is enough to affect the entire population of bully owners.

(BTW, you probably know this, but dog aggression doesn't equal human aggression. Many Pit Bulls are complete hams towards people but may (or may not) develop dog aggression at ANY point in their life time.

To me, the first quick way to stop a dog from aggressing is to remove it from situations where the aggression is happening. If you see she is becoming intolerant of other animals, you should be both working to correct the problem and removing her from those situations if your intent at the moment is not to be training. Prevention is the best method.

I don't think it's a phase - it's most likely the beginnings of a behavior problem that could get worse. If you are giving another animal attention and she wants it, she'll try to remove that animal from the situation. IF you are unsure how to deal with it, you may want to hire a trainer.

I'm sorry that upsets you. The sentiment among most responsible bully people is that dog parks are an accident waiting to happen. You are free to make your own choice - no one over the internet is going to stop you - but I just figured I'd throw that caution out at you.

Small playgroups with dogs you know (rather than a bunch of unknown dogs at the dog park) is a much safer option where she can still socialize with other dogs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah it almost seems like the only answer is the one I do not want to accept that I cant change what was bred into my dog. She does play well with dogs she knows and to be honest 95% of dogs but its that 5% that scares me. Her first incident and her worst was a dog was getting pet by my roommate and out of nowhere she grabbed it and pitshook it. One bite and it broke the dogs nose and gave it multiple stitches. I was super afraid they were gonna push to have her put down. I paid them 500 bucks to cover their bills and then some. My roomie suggested I spend a little more one on one time with her so we started going for 7 mile walks nightly. That seems to help as she gets plenty of one on one but to be honest that wears me out too. I intend on getting a trainer as I think that anytime I discipline her or try and correct her she just gets scared and rolls on her back. Thanks again for the help and I will update when I have one.

Well, it sounds like she may be a bit on the seperation anxiety side.......
I would say she def has seperation anxiety. I did get her spayed after her first heat and She goes to the vet pretty frequently I will take her again when I get paid again..I hope this is something medical and not psychological. Oh and this has been going on maybe 2 months tops. It doesnt happen every time we go to the park. The new puppy pulls on her neck and I have noticed that she gets pretty pissed about that my roomie insists they are playing but I dont like it

·
Registered
329 Posts
You could oalways check out a animal behaviorist two see if they could help you get to the route of the issues

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Yeah it almost seems like the only answer is the one I do not want to accept that I cant change what was bred into my dog. She does play well with dogs she knows and to be honest 95% of dogs but its that 5% that scares me. Her first incident and her worst was a dog was getting pet by my roommate and out of nowhere she grabbed it and pitshook it. One bite and it broke the dogs nose and gave it multiple stitches. I was super afraid they were gonna push to have her put down. I paid them 500 bucks to cover their bills and then some. My roomie suggested I spend a little more one on one time with her so we started going for 7 mile walks nightly. That seems to help as she gets plenty of one on one but to be honest that wears me out too. I intend on getting a trainer as I think that anytime I discipline her or try and correct her she just gets scared and rolls on her back. Thanks again for the help and I will update when I have one.

I would say she def has seperation anxiety. I did get her spayed after her first heat and She goes to the vet pretty frequently I will take her again when I get paid again..I hope this is something medical and not psychological. Oh and this has been going on maybe 2 months tops. It doesnt happen every time we go to the park. The new puppy pulls on her neck and I have noticed that she gets pretty pissed about that my roomie insists they are playing but I dont like it
if you don't like it...make it stop.

who cares whether or not your roomie says they are playing.. its YOUR dog and if you don't like it...make it stop.

the key to managing aggression is preventative foresight. don't put your dog in situations that set her up to fail.

also a word about discipline...I would NOT use physical discipline with any aggressive dog.

learn how to motivate your dog to behave well. check out the stickies in the training forum for a good place to start and if you have any questions just ask. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have any advice at this time, everyone has given you great information but...I do have a question. Is she a staffordshire....or a pitbull, those are two different breeds...or...is she a mix?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I don't have any advice at this time, everyone has given you great information but...I do have a question. Is she a staffordshire....or a pitbull, those are two different breeds...or...is she a mix?
Technally An American Pit Bull Terrier (AKA Pit Bull) And a Staffordshire Terrier are different breeds, but the staffordshire came from the American Pit Bull terrier breed. It's the "show breed" while the American Pit Bull Terrier is the "game" breed.

I'll be more then happy to post more on this topic once I am awake. I haven't gotten to my cup of coffee this morning. I'm surprised I know how to turn on the computer lol.

Edit:
Ok now that I am Semi awake..
pitshook it
actually it's called the "Terrier shake". Every terrier does it, Pit Bulls just have more strength to cause more damage behind it. Even little Jack Russells do that same shake to their toys or to anything they catch.

Many Pit Bull owners have to Crate and Rotate their multiple dogs. I know many that have 4 or 5 dogs, but can only have certain ones around each other without fights breaking out. That is something that you have to consider. Crate and rotate pretty much means what it says. You crate one dog and allow the other to have it's time in the home, then you crate that one and allow the other one out. So they can never see each other.

Separation Anxiety is thrown around a lot. I do not think it's SA. Sounds like your pup could use some obedience schooling for confidence building. It sounds like she relies too much on you so now your having these issues. If it was me, I would start working on Confidence builds things like Tug (GREAT confidence building, let them win about 90% of the time, this worked WONDERS for building the confidence of my Nubs), obedience including Sit & stays at a distance. The more she learns, the better off she will be.

I'd also think about finding a place outside of your room for her to sleep. This will also make her less reliant on you.

I have to agree with Zim, if you do not like what she is doing, then stop it. She's your dog and not anyone elses.

As for a Dog Park, this breed of dog is not meant for Dog parks. Even if your dog is a complete softy and never would harm another dog, if a fight breaks out (because every dog has it's limit and can be pushed to that point) and your dog is involved, your dog WILL be blamed for it, and if there is any injuries your dog will be blamed. It's a shame really. If a Pit Bull in Australia attacks another dog and it makes the paper, it is felt here in the USA. Same if when there is an attack here in the USA it is felt in the UK, Australia, and other country's that have this breed.

You can still keep your dream of having a dog park, just remember that Pit Bulls really aren't meant for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts