Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post -excited!-

Hello everyone, after browsing through so many topics on here and viewing some gorgeous dogs, gaining some good advice and the like, I felt the dire need to post about my two babies.

First i will start with thanking you all for reading this, even if you do not reply. Thank you!

Second, I joined this forum because i recently purchased a puppy. I do not have him yet as he is being internationally shipped to me over the next week Wednesday to be specific. (I purchased him from a trusted friend who lives in Thailand so i have no fears of him not arriving here).

He is a Dogo Sardesco, or more correctly Dogo Sardo or Cane Sardo. He is named Saisir sa chance (Or Saisir for short) He is gorgeous in my opinion, and when he arrives i will flood this place with images of him! Promise.

My second dog, who i have had since she was a puppy, Is a German Shepherd Cross, she is my problem but do not get me wrong she is also my life.

She has been socialized since birth, she has travelled to many areas and seen and played among many dogs, all of different breeds, temperements and size, from the tiny teacup to the giant dane. In all these instances where she has been socialized, she has barked, whined, growled and pretty much fought to get to the other dogs. When she is allowed off the leash all my control is gone out the window and shattered like glass. She will run at any dog snarling, mane up, and then BOOM!

She stops, nose to nose, and timidly sniffs the dog. Unless of the course, the owner boots her or tries to scare her away, she will not be deterred she will just turn her focus on to the owner of the other dog. Dangerous problem.

If the dog growls back, even just a slight warning. A fight breaks out, and usually it's my girl that ends up submissing like a baby cowering on the ground. Keep in mind, by "fight" I mean the other dog full out attacks her or snaps at her and she never knows how to respond, i don't even believe she knows how to defend herself.

The funny thing is, metaphorically speaking. She has never actually bitten another dog, okay i do lie, once. The dog was half her size and she chased it for a few minutes nipping at its fur, wagging her tail all the while, but she never once caused harm, it was as if she was taunting, or playing with the dog but did not realize the dog did not feel comfortable playing back.

Now then, moving on. I have tried many training methods to get her out of this habit and i have always ended up at the same conclusion. She needs to socialize more.

Problem here being. When i walk her and she spots another dog, she practically climbs up my leg and pushes against me to get towards them, displaying the whole "I'm so aggressive, i'll kill you! GET OFF MY STREET DOG, come near me and you die" attitude. Most dogs ignore her, many do not and respond in a similar manner. This is on the most serious days. The whole "Turn around and walk away" Usually results in her tripping me or having to drag her down the road while she screams, which tends to have people looking at me as if i had just killed someone or hit her with a brick.

This happens when a dog gets within four feet of her, or directly opposite us on the other side of the street.

When we are on a park, or a largely spacious area and she is on the leash, she will spot a dog and i will tell her "Ignore it" and she does for a while, she will sit and watch as if to say "I've sat, let me off now please" until the dog gets into her "comfort zone", then she flips.

We walk past dogs all the time in gardens as we head to the park and i will say firmly "Ignore it" when they bark and growl at her, she doesn't even glance at them, completely ignores them and continues to walk. Maybe because they are behind a fence? I don't know. If she's in the yard and a dog comes to the fence growling and digging at it. She will try like hell to get to it. Or if it is, unfortunately, a Staffordshire terrier she seems to go in "Kill mode". She has been attacked by so many as a puppy that she can't be trusted with breeds of even similar appearance.

If i have her on the park and she is listening to me. We have this "trick" where if she walks ahead of my heel i will "Ahem" at her, she will glance and me and hop backwards. If she doesn't sit exactly by my heel i will say "That's not my heel" and she will shuffle backwards more until she's in the correct spot beside me.

If she see's a dog (as said above) and it gets to close she will lose her mind usually. Sometimes she will sit by my side and get ready to display the above behaviour, i will say "No, don't you even try it" she will sit and whimper, nudging my leg, arm, hand, anything she can. If my partner or any of the people i am with walk towards another dog or speak to anyone nearby that has a dog with them, she will SCREAM and run around on the spot, left, pull forward, i tug back, right, pull forward, i tug back whilst telling her "No" she will calm down for a moment, eventually. I praise her.

With the other dog owners permission, after a whole ten minutes of rushing through an explanation while she is being overly dramatic, he allows me to let her go to his dog (Because his dog would never harm her or instigate drama like she does) she will stop the barking when she knows i am ALLOWING her to go to the dog and she will drag me with all her strength towards the dog until they are nose to nose. Instantly they become "Best friends" and they can play for hours on end with no trouble.

The next day, she will see the same dog and it all starts over again, This can go on for months. Fortunately the owner has a better memory than her.

I try socialize her more, but usually when she starts with such behaviour, people do not believe me when i say "Don't worry, please, she's not vicious" "Just a drama queen"

Well, would you believe me? I think not. She is five years old now, just to point out. I have had her since she was eight weeks old. She is not toy or food orientated. Her favourite foods are fresh cheese and ham. Put them any where near her when she has her mind set on something and she will constantly ignore them and try to see around you. She does not play with toys when out on a walk either and when she is with other dogs on a walk she acts twice as bad as if to be showing off. We have taken her to dog training classes and she behaves shyly when there are more than nine dogs. Until recently, she launched full throttle at six Staffordshire terriers three weeks ago which were tied outside a guys house (she was ignoring them until they all barked at her) and i thought for sure i'd lost her when she caught me off guard and dragged me across the pavement but fortunately the dogs were all harmless, and the owner was sweet enough to clean up my war wounds :)

My questions now are;

Has anyone had experience with a dog like this?
How do you handle the problem?
Do you have any suggestions on what i should try with her?
Or any idea on how to go about socializing her?

And if you would like to see her, and see why most people disbelieve when i mention her behaviour. Here's a picture or two. She really does look like an angel, but she is often misjudged.

Above, behaving nicely, this was one of her amazing days. Nothing bothered her.
See below, she just chilled out watching dogs race around like maniacs.

She is such a ball of stress and a pain in my rear, but she's so easy to fall in love with. One of my main worries now is having to walk her and the new puppy seperately in case she teaches him bad behaviour, i can do that, but i'd love to be able to walk them together....before i retire at least.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
First, when you get the new pup, let your GSD smell some of the puppy bedding or a t-shirt rubbed on the pup. Then, introduce them on neutral territory. Let her sniff the pup and try to balance permissiveness and fear... most adults won't mess with a pup ... but also never leave them alone.

Then, independent of the GSD, start having puppy parties with many people, men women, and children, inviting 3 -5 people over every day or two, so that the pup meets 100 people in the first month. Continue this introduction process for as long as you own the puppy - the next 15 years - although 10 people a week is probably a good maintenance number, and they don't have to all be strangers.

After the pup has all of his shots, find some gentle pups and dogs, and let them play ... Goldens can be good for this. Each week, introduce to other dogs, small dogs, and Lab adults can be good. Finally, introduce to Lab pups and to Pit bull pups (and Rotties)... these tend to be rough&tumble pups .... keep this up for at least 3 years... altho 15 years might be better, and you won't have the problem that the GSD has.

GSDs are intelligent, but not forgiving, so you do need to re-socialize her. Start with some friendly dogs that will back down. There are lots of confident dogs that will offer to play, and will turn and walk away, if the offer is declined. Again, Goldens, and Labs are sometimes socialized this way. Keep increasing her circle, as well as socialized Dobbies and GSDs. After 3 - 6 mos, you might look for a socialized Rottie, because they usually won't back down... Then, you could re-introduce her to Pits... It will take patience and can take 6 - 12 mos or more.....

·
Registered
673 Posts
LOL! I really had to laugh at this post :) Are you sure your not talking about my dog??? I've always had this problem with my Bernese and she is now 3 years old and still the same and I've tried everything and I mean every collar/harness out there, obedience classes, trying to be calm, treats, etc.... and mine has been socialized extensively and she's still a nut, the only difference is a fight has never broken out and most dogs have been pretty good with her and mine too has drug me across the street, has pulled me down, and makes such a dramatic affair of 'OMG!! I see a dog!" that I could hide in a hole. She has met so many dogs in her 3 years but it's still the same but the strangest thing is when we are in the truck and she starts reacting to a dog walking on the street I tell her in a nice soothing voice that it's a nice puppy and talk softly to her and she calms down so maybe I should try this when we walk. I also got another older Bernese about 10 months ago and she's 7 years old and the only problem you might have when getting another dog is they might pick up the behaviour and then you will have twice the problems, I can't walk both of mine together because the older one feeds of the other one and reacts too but I can walk the older one not a problem without the younger ones drama. My girl too looks like an angel and is very loving, over the top in her loving as well as everything else,lol. We are moving in October to an acreage and I'm hoping she will wear off some more energy BEFORE I go visiting or walking with anyone in town because she really is my buddy and I like to take her with me to alot of places. By the way you have such a pretty dog! and she still looks younger than 5 years old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!
People still believe she is a puppy, i took her to a new vet on Monday and he practically called me a liar when he asked her age and i told him.

It's been raining a lot recently, but when the weather brightens up i will try get a few videos of her, it's unbelieveable how much she shows me up <_<

I'm going to re-try the whole socializing thing until it kills me. There isn't much else i can do really. But if she was to behave like an angel, i imagine she'd be so much happier. I know it!

I think my dog and yours should meet at some point dakotajo haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts