Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a tank with 5 fancy gold fish and a Golden Dojo Loach, unfortunately the last Goldfish we got brought home Ick aswell. I Picked up some quICK Cure and began treating yesterday but because my Loach is scaleless I'm a little concerned that the treatment may hurt him. Any Ideas or feedback? Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would increase the temp in the tank to about 82 degrees which will speed up the cycle of the ich. Quick cure is one of the better meds to use with scaleless fish, but you should only be using 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dosage. Use an air stone/bubbler while your tank is undergoing medication, since the meds will decrease the amount of O2 in the tank. Also I would keep an eye out for any struggling by your fish, especially the loach. If there are any signs that your loach is not doing well, then I would separate him into another tank and use an even lower dose of the med.

If you have already used the full dose, I would do a water change (take out about 1/2 the water in the tank) and add new water to help dilute the amount of med in the tank. And then continue to keep an eye out on your loach.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It could take a while. I had Ich in my tank for almost 2 months. I raised the temp to 84f and treated with 2 different types. The first was quick cure and the other... I can't remember now lol! the first treatment didn't work so we went with a different kind for the second. Don't forget to remove any carbon that is in your filter. Melgrj7 had some very useful info for me when I asked her.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just be careful with those goldfish and the higher temps, since they are not tropical fish. Do the temp increase gradually, not all in one day, if possible. =/

Also, is the tank big enough for all those fish? Poor water quality can definitely can stress enough to easily spread Ich and keep the fish ill. I'd say for all those, at least a 55 gallon is needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never had goldfish, so I don't know their tolerance to this, but with my freshwater tropical fish, an increase aquarium salt helped a lot. Again, not sure about goldfish as their tolerance to things are very different, but any time I had to treat my tank for anything, salt helped.

Ick is a pain in the you-know-what, but the above posters gave great advice! Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts