Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going to Ian Dunbar's seminar in Chicago this summer. Awefully pricey, seminar + 8 hour drive + hotel room + PARTY IN CHICAGO MONEY! lol. . .

Has anyone been to one of these? Good experience, or should I just order his books. . .?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The experience of being around like minded individuals I don't think can be duplicated in books. You most certainly can glean his teachings from his books alone, but Ian is not a dud, and I've thoroughly enjoyed his seminars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. If only I had more like minded individuals who wanted to split the cost of gas and hotel rooms with me! What were the topics of the seminars that you went to?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The APDT has a forum where you could ask if anyone would like to split the cost and you might just get lucky, but membership with the APDT isn't free either.

I've been to a seminar on effective punishment, one on the state of dog training, one on puppy socialization/dominance, and a round table discussion with other well known trainers also on punishment. Ian practically lives in my backyard so I can afford to see him more often.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might ask around at the obedience club to see if anyone wants to tag along but most of the folks there have a pretty old fashioned approach to training (unfortunate) and are pretty set in their ways. I'm leading the revolution! jk . . sort of. ;)

Its awesome that you have access to such a great source of information! I have a really hard time finding affordable yet worthwhile seminars or workshops in my area.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I hear about that very seminar a week or so ago and I'm trying to work it so I can it, lol. I'm close enough that I'll be driving each day though I believe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts