Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go back and forth on my feelings for Dalmatians. I have never actually owned one but I would love to get everyone's opinion on the breed. I've heard they have something refereed to as "selective hearing". Anyone have any info on how that affects them?

I also heard they are great jogging companions, and I would love that to be true. My little terrier mix rescue doesn't have the best endurance...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Pretty much any dog has selective hearing, depending upon what you're asking them to do and how great their motivation is not to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

A Dalmatian wouldn't be the right dog for my family but that doesn't mean they are bad dogs. Dal's purchased from a good breeder (check out the Dalmatian club of america) should be energetic but not hyper - though honestly I have met a lot of really hyper Dalmatians. They do make excellent jogging partners! - they need quite a bit if physical exercise to be happy. They are stubborn so early training and socialization is really important (same can be said for all breeds).

Selective hearing just means that they might chose to ignore you if something else more interesting is going on! Also I have found as puppies they have about a 1.5 second attention span so a lot of patience and frequent very short training sessions are necessary.

Bea

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would probably never own. But nothing against the breed. Life is too short to own anything but Aussies.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My trainer owns dalmations and she would never switch breeds. Deafness is a major issue with Dals, both bilateral and unilateral. They also have dietary issues that you need to be mindful of. If you end up getting a Dal be sure to find a trainer who knows them. They aren't the easiest dogs to live with but if you know how to handle them, they can be lots of fun.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would never buy a Dalmatian because I think 10% deafness "collateral damage" rate is unacceptably high and I wouldn't support breeding practices like that. Also the kidney thing. I would prefer not to own a Dal because the ones I have known were overly neurotic, had aggressive/reactive tendencies, had a lot of health problems, and were just in general too high-maintenance. If one needed rescuing I wouldn't turn him away, though--I'm sure I could work through some of his issues and learn to live with the others, like I would with any dog.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't really like them. They're temperament is pretty..sharp? Not easy going dogs, IME. They also need an intense amount of exercise.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've only met a handful in my life, but most were pretty aggressive towards humans. I did meet one last fall at a campground we were stationed at in KY however that was a really sweet dog, if not a little bullheaded with his owners. But then again, Marlin and Charlotte can be pretty bullheaded to sometimes, so I have no room to judge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts