Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a bit of a weird question, and i really didn't know if I should put in the health or food section...but since it deals with how to safely store a uhh high calorie vitamin foodstuff? Decided to post it here.

I decided to pain-stakingly make my dog an emergency kit, i knew i wanted the actual bag/kit to be small (AND it really is but it can hold so much! My own purse might be bigger) And it can hold so much because I repacked a few items. - Such as the iodine spray and hydrogen peroxide, I bought a package of small, clear empty spray bottles and these label sticker things at the Dollar Tree for of course $1 each! Now they are in much smaller packaging and don't take up as much room in the kit!

I brought up the Dollar Tree because I wanted to do this spending the least amount of money as possible! The Dollar Tree, and especially these two other random discount stores I live by were the best! They both have an amazing pet product selection and I am all for that! Just checking the clearance at regular stores have gotten me great prices and now i know most thrift stores don't really have a pet selection, but pretty much every store will even have a couple items and always priced dirt cheap.

Some items I absolutely did not mind paying full price, like all the medical items.

I am rambling BAD lol. Pretty much done with the kit but I know I will occasionally come up with an item that I want in there. Some of my meds that originally came in big bottles, i found these tiny vials for repackaging, remembeing to always label exactly what it is. I have done this with dog asprin and kwik-stop.

i would now like to do this with nutri-cal. There are many names for stuff - nutri-stat, nutri-vet, ready-cal - WHATEVER it is pretty much all the same. A very high calorie paste filled with all the vitamins your dog would ever need.

here is the question. as long as the nutri-cal is not expired would it remain safe to use? (For a dog to eat) I santize the vial beforehand and I THINK it is made out of superhard plastic. Would it be okay for me to repackage some of it in the vial without it getting moldy and gross?

I would love to have this on hand in the emergency kit (i do rescue too, look out for strays) but whatever the brand the tube takes up too much precious space.

Here is a picture of the vial and a couple formulations of the stuff with a backdrop of vet supplies catalogs because my rug is just covered in fur atm. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I think once you've opened the Nutrical it starts to degrade. It's only shelf-stable as long as it's in the original sealed container. After you've opened it, you need to use it pretty promptly. It's like canned or jarred goods - the expiration date is based on the assumption that you haven't broken the seal. IANAV but that's my understanding.

Those pastes don't have enough calories to make much of a difference for anything but a very tiny dog, so why not include something easier to store, like dog vitamin pills?

Also, bear this in mind when transferring hydrogen peroxide from the original container: Why Does Hydrogen Peroxide Come in a Brown Bottle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! i did not know that about hydrogen peroxide - very uséful to know tho! Perhaps i can find and buy an actual small bottle in the travel section of the store with all those tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash etc :p

The green tube "high calorie booster" which doesnt have much in it expires this year in October. The yellow bottle has also been open but its barely been used. it expires next year. Since it doesnt have any special instructions like refrigerate after opening i assumed it would be okay. Besides all the vitamins this stuff really is fat calories in a tube.

corn syrup, soybean oil, malt syrup, fish oil, molasses....yuck. but that is why i think it could be useful in an emergency setting, just vitamins wouldnt really have the cals.

But yeah you made me realize putting it im a tiny jar would be useless! no small dogs here! Sometimes when my senior bluetick coonhound is feeling under the weather or just being plain fussy I take some on my finger and rub it in her flews. contary to what both bottles claim, she personally hates it. :)

but there are also other dogs in my life

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The syrups and oils are why it it calorie dense. And yes, it does need to be stored in it's original container. They make doggie energy bars, if you want to keep a little something on hand for them needing an energy boost when you are out and about.

About the smallest bottle of hydrogen peroxide I've seen was 4 ounces. And it will also lose quality after being opened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts