Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a vet that I can go to "regularly" but am having a hard time finding a decent one in my area that meets my needs!

My dog is currently on the wellness plan with Banfield. I don't like them at ALL for various reasons.

However, one thing I do like about them is their organization system. Whenever I take my pup in they give me a receipt that itemizes what was done to her, medications with instructions and what they're for, updates on her weight/health/etc., and reminders of what she's due for in the future. They call regularly to remind me when she's due for certain shots or needs a check up. They're very much like a regular human doctor's visits with the papers, and giving regular reminders for check ups and such.

I've gone to 5 other vets and none of them did that ): No info of what was done to her, what she needs, etc. Only verbal consultation by the vet & a receipt of the services I paid for.

I'm in search of a good, caring vet for my dog but also an organized vet office.
I can't seem to find both.

I don't expect a response about where to find one since I need a local one lol but I'm just wondering if my expectations are off? Like, maybe this isn't what a regular vet office does. And Banfield just happens to be the only odd office that does do it because of their brand and big business.

Do people only bring their dogs to the vet for major stuff (like in need of surgery, is sick, etc) or do they also bring their dogs to vets for regular visits to keep up with their health? I'm looking to do the latter and Banfield's wellness plan provides that. do other private vets provides something similar as well?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
That's odd, because ALL of the vets my dogs have seen (and there have been many) have given me an itemized receipt as well as updates for their yearly wellness exam, or shots. That seems pretty routine, and I've lived in NY, WY, ID, MT, NC.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Also pretty standard for all the vets I've been to in VA. I get email rather than telephone reminders when things are due, but otherwise- yeah.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's odd, because ALL of the vets my dogs have seen (and there have been many) have given me an itemized receipt as well as updates for their yearly wellness exam, or shots. That seems pretty routine, and I've lived in NY, WY, ID, MT, NC.

Also pretty standard for all the vets I've been to in VA. I get email rather than telephone reminders when things are due, but otherwise- yeah.
I live in CA. Maybe I'm just having bad luck with the other vets I've visited, lol..

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Yeah, I've been to vets in PEI, Nova Scotia, and Ontario, and they've all given me itemized receipts and called or emailed with checkup reminders. I thought that was pretty standard for a vet!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I also thought reminders and itemized receipts and all that stuff you mentioned was standard. I mean, its a money generator for vets, because you getting your dog in regularly means more money for them. My vet actually has a nifty little phone app that you can use to schedule appointments, get reminders, and track to-do items like monthly preventative medications and the like. Even the little rural vet office my parents use for their animals sends postcard reminders when a pet is due for vaccinations!

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Yeah, in CA, you just need to ask around, and tell the Vet office exactly what you are looking for as far as office organization and management. Some offices don't provide what you want unless asked...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd think that just about any vet with computerized record keeping (and these days, i'ts hard to imagine anything else) would automatically give itemized receipts. Even back in the day, when the vet I worked for used handwritten receipts, we checked off what had been done for that visit.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Another one chiming in: I live in rural Alaska and take my dogs to the livestock vet as he's the only guy in the region. And even I get itemized receipts and appointment reminders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts