Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this puppy on petfinder (no idea why I do this to myself...) and I love him. Isn't he just the cutest thing?

His petfinder site is http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12776892

By the way, what mix do you guys think he is? The shelter says Australian Shepherd mix, but I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've always wondered, how easy is it to get a pet on Pet Finder?

I thought that because there's probably 1,000's of people looking at all the dogs on there that your chances of getting the one you want are slim to none. I've compared it to seeing a dog up for adoption on the news that you want in that you can call but you're probably the 100th serious person to say they want them.

What's the process? When you say you want a dog on there, how long does it take before you can actually have them? Once you say you want one, do they take it off the site?

Sorry about all the questions but I've just always wondered about that.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Petfinder is just a network that allows rescue groups to get their animals out there. It depends on the actual group the animal is with what the process is, how much demand there is, adoption fees, etc. You adopt the animal from the rescue group/shelter, not from petfinder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awwww he's a cutie! Petfinder/Craigslist is too tempting. Thats how I ended up with a 2nd dog. I was helping a friend find a dog and I ended up with one. :)

As far as how easy Petfinder pets are to get it really depends, there are so many different places that advertise on Petfinder, it just depends who is in possession of the dog. Puppies though, you need to act fast because they tend to go quicker.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I got Roxxy thru Petfinder. I looked for dogs in my area, found out where she was going to be on a Saturday, went to look at her and Butch and I walked out with her a little while later. She was with a rescue group at a Petco. Guess I got there first, and she's a keeper, skitzo as she may be at times. My babies are a good fit with each other and all get along.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I was looking on Craigslist and found this dog. I emailed the person who posted the ad.

But never heard back from them. So instead of getting the above dog. I continued to look at various small breeds on Craigslist

And wound up adopting Lola

Her ad did not even mention what breed she was, just that she was 10 pounds. When she was brought to me it turns out she was the same breed I was originally looking at except the colors were different.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cute dog!! Congrats. ;-)

I've always wondered, how easy is it to get a pet on Pet Finder?

I thought that because there's probably 1,000's of people looking at all the dogs on there that your chances of getting the one you want are slim to none. I've compared it to seeing a dog up for adoption on the news that you want in that you can call but you're probably the 100th serious person to say they want them.
It's a tad bit different from seeing a pet on the news. There are tons of rescue groups, each listing around 50 animals each. A particularly cute/high demand dog might go quickly (puppies do, too), but I've seen dogs that have been listed for a long time. Additionally, there might be thousands of people looking at the dogs, but the aren't all going to be in the same area.

What's the process? When you say you want a dog on there, how long does it take before you can actually have them? Once you say you want one, do they take it off the site?
It varies. Each shelter has their own policy. Some of them might take the dog off as soon as someone applies, but others require a more lengthy application process (home visits, etc.) I just adopted a puppy from a shelter that listed her on Petfinder, and it didn't take long at all. I sent an email saying I was interested last Monday, received an email back and sent my application in on Tuesday, and got a call back that same day saying my application was approved. I was also informed that the dogs weren't available until Saturday (because they were getting fixed on Friday) and it would be "first come, first served" to approved applicants on that day. It did create a bit of havoc, because 20 people showed up for 4 puppies. I arrived an hour early and only two people were in line ahead of me (one graciously gave me his spot in line when he found out how far I had driven). I lucked out and the first person in line took a different puppy.

If I would've been after a different dog, I probably could have driven down there as soon as my application was approved and picked him/her up.

But, like I said, each shelter/rescue organization varies. Some might allow you to put a deposit (or pay the entire adoption fee) to "hold" the dog until you arrive. This particular shelter did not. Others might have a longer waiting process, and might give the dog to the most qualified applicant (if there are several) rather than on a first come, first served basis.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He looks adorable! I know, Petfinder can be addictive. I try to keep from going on there more than once a day.:eek:

For me Petfinder was a great place to look, I adopted two of my cats from there. Some shelters let you know if someone has already sent in an application by putting "pending adoption" next to the animals name on the site. Take another look the next couple of days and see if they're still available.

Hope that helps a bit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts