Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a package of chicken breast at the "manager's special" price (really cheap). Since it is right at the "sell by", I figured to cook them up to make dog treats out of half of them. So I give a piece to Knothead, and he runs off with it, pushes it around with his nose, rolls it around in his mouth, spits it back out, and skeptically examined it for about 3 minutes before actually eating it. Who'da thunk the dog would like dog treats better than actual meat?

I guess I'll have to stop off and get a bag of Bil-Jac Liver Treats on my way to work.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Did you try again? My dog plays with everything new she gets, including food. She'll actually play-bow to a new food. Sometimes she'll roll in it and rub herself all over it. She mouths it, spits it back out, paws it. Once she's used to it, she'll eat it like anything else. But the first time she gets something is a hoot to watch. If she truly doesn't like something, she'll take one sniff and walk away.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
What Winniec described is a lot like what Nubs does too. If he doesn't like something he just spits it out and gives me a dirty look like "Are you TRYING to KILL me Mom?" New things he places in his mouth drops it on the floor, sniffs it, mouths it some more, looks at me to see if it's "ok" then paws at it, squishes it if he can then swallows and begs for more.

I always try multiple times to give him a new treat before I say yes or nope

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you try again? My dog plays with everything new she gets, including food.
He'll eventually eat all the chicken I made for him, but his reaction was decidedly un-retriever-like. Rusty is typical retriever in that he's been known to pick up and eat something off the ground, at a full gallop, barely breaking his stride. We've been lucky that he's (so far) never eaten anything that stops up the works. The only class of foods he flat out refuses to eat is that which grows in soil. Veggies are definitely not on the menu.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts