Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone :)

I have a 4 month old mutt (we have NO idea what she is), and I really think she is allergic to her food because she itch itch itches all day long!!!

My vet saw her last Friday and said to eliminate environmental factors first, so we've been using this medicated shampoo on her, but I haven't seen a difference. Please note we haven't been over bathing her, shes only had 2 before the vet last saw her. She also doesn't ANY table scraps.

I want her to eat well, but I have a students budget, so I have her on Pet Smarts "premium" brand Authority. I've talked to a lot of people about it, including my vet, and everyone agreed it was a good food to give her.

So I guess from here I have to start experimenting with food?

Whats the most cost effective way to do this so Im not buying bag after bag? How long do I have to wait before I know the food is good or bad for her? Are there certain ingredients I should be avoiding?

Of course I am going to have a talk with my vet about this but I just like to hear more opinions :)

Thanks!
P.S. - I know I could buy a hypoallergenic food from my vet but we had my cat on that and it did nothing for her....so confused! lol

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
First thing I would do is try a grain-free food. She might be allergic to the grains in her current food. Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Wellness and Solid Gold all make grain-free options.

If that doesn't work I would start looking at protein sources. The protein source is whatever the main meat source is in your dog's food... like chicken or lamb or fish. I would start by switching to fish; it tends to be blander. There are many "fish and potato" kibble formulas out there that are both grain-free AND fish-based, so check those out. If that doesn't work, try some novel protein sources, meats she's never been exposed to before... like venison, duck, kangaroo, bison. (Venison- and duck-based kibble can be found from Wellness Simple Solutions and Natural Balance; kangaroo-based from Addiction; bison-based from Timberwolf Organics.)

It takes at least two months on a food before it starts to yield results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buy your food at Petco and save the recite.....if the puppy can’t eat it you can return it and try something else. At least the Petco I go to does this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Echo is very food sensitive with her skin and stomach. She's now on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula (their potato and fish formula), and really seems to be thriving on it. I agree that it's probably the grain that your pup is allergic to.

I suspected that it was either corn or chicken that had Echo allergic, so I got her off of both. She's fine now. The itching and skin flaking is completely gone.

Another thing that seemed to help with Echo's itching is a powdered suppliment product called "The Missing Link." It's sold at PetSmart for around $12 and lasts for a good while (you give roughly 1 tsp/day). You may look into it.

Best of luck with your pup!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Echo is very food sensitive with her skin and stomach. She's now on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula (their potato and fish formula), and really seems to be thriving on it. I agree that it's probably the grain that your pup is allergic to.

I suspected that it was either corn or chicken that had Echo allergic, so I got her off of both. She's fine now. The itching and skin flaking is completely gone.

Another thing that seemed to help with Echo's itching is a powdered suppliment product called "The Missing Link." It's sold at PetSmart for around $12 and lasts for a good while (you give roughly 1 tsp/day). You may look into it.

Best of luck with your pup!
Thanks! Im going to go to the pet store on Thursday and check out a few options...and prices ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try foods with different types of meat as a starting point.

Lamb is supposed to be a hypoallergenic-ish meat... But my dog got rashes in his ears whenever we fed him lamb...

You will have to feed the food for about two oweeks to fully see symptms.

We found out because his first rash came when he had a bag of lamb based food... we switched to chicken and it went away. Then a bag of lamb based and it came back.... So we switched again to bison and so far his ears have been back to normal. (it was so bad on lamb he wouldn't let us touch his ears)

You'll just have to buy the smaller bags (like 10 lb bags) and go through them and find one that he doesnt react to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts